• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

10 states highest gun-related deaths

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
....I would support regulating the militia well.....
While you are free to support that, if you are conflating the phrase "well regulated" with "regulating", then you should do more research:

http://www.constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm
The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

Arkady

President
While you are free to support that, if you are conflating the phrase "well regulated" with "regulating", then you should do more research:

http://www.constitution.org/cons/wellregu.htm
The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.
Well-regulated, in 1789 and today, means something regulated well. That needn't mean government regulation, of course. It could be some form of self-control. But it's regulation nonetheless.

freyasman

Senator
I wouldn't support a ban on guns. I would support regulating the militia well, and that would include licensing, registration, background checks, and some controls on amounts and types of firearms. A militia isn't much use in defending the state (the purpose of the second amendment), if it's just a rabble. Historical militias were mustered and trained and had restrictions about who could be members. For a militia to be "well regulated," it should be known who is in it, how they're armed, and that they have the basic training to be an effective fighting force, don't you think? That's consistent with licensing, registration, and background checks.
Spoken like a man who has never fought a counter-insurgency, and has no idea of what is effective, and what isn't. It does sound like a man who is interested in "regulating" a lot more than just the militia though; it sounds like a man who is trying to incrementally impose "regulations" on everybody. Just saying.... :cool:

Arkady

President
Spoken like a man who has never fought a counter-insurgency, and has no idea of what is effective, and what isn't. It does sound like a man who is interested in "regulating" a lot more than just the militia though; it sounds like a man who is trying to incrementally impose "regulations" on everybody. Just saying.... :cool:
Spoken like a man who relies for his living on killing people for money, and thus who only profits when there is chaos.

Spoken like a man who relies for his living on killing people for money, and thus who only profits when there is chaos.
Spoken like a man intent on blood shed over his punitive ideas to exert command and control over other adult individuals.

freyasman

Senator
Righties argue death by gun only counts IF it is in a city and IF it is not suicide. Powerful pretzel logic there.
You know most of the people shot to death world-wide in the last 100 years have been killed by government forces. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc., etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genocides_by_death_toll
Why don't you guys put some effort into restricting the power of governments, seeing as how they're the real threat?

Arkady

President
LOL.... I get paid by the same kind of folks you do, Arkady.
Yet my pay isn't contingent on there being a state of violent chaos, so we'll have very different outlooks on policies (like loose gun control) that bring about such states. For me, those are negative conditions; for you, they're a meal ticket.

freyasman

Senator
Yet my pay isn't contingent on there being a state of violent chaos, so we'll have very different outlooks on policies (like loose gun control) that bring about such states. For me, those are negative conditions; for you, they're a meal ticket.
Sure it is; lawyers usually create the situations I get called in for. They also are usually the ones who insist their clients hire guys like me for certain things. If it wasn't for law firms and insurance companies, I would be working Northern Iraq most likely.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Frey isn't a Lawyer
Lawyers destroy more people than military does.........drive them to commit suicide as well

You know most of the people shot to death world-wide in the last 100 years have been killed by government forces. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc., etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genocides_by_death_toll
Why don't you guys put some effort into restricting the power of governments, seeing as how they're the real threat?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

Democide is a term revived and redefined by the political scientistR. J. Rummel as "the murder of any person or people by their government, including genocide, politicide and mass murder." Rummel created the term as an extended concept to include forms of government murder that are not covered by the term genocide, and it has become accepted among other scholars.[1][2][3] According to Rummel, democide passed war as the leading cause of non-natural death in the 20th century.[4][5]

Zoar

Governor
All Dawgy can ever post in reply to my posts is some lame crap talk about staying away from solar panels... hey, dawgy. you are a solar phobic crier.

Zoar

Governor
So according to Dawgy, inner city people shot in places like Chicago means we can not discuss mass shootings or gun violence where white people do the shooting. Racist much?

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
So according to Dawgy, inner city people shot in places like Chicago means we can not discuss mass shootings or gun violence where white people do the shooting. Racist much?
No surprise you would throw out the race card since that is a trademark of the far Left.

What most intelligent people understand is that the comment points out that the US city with the strictest gun laws is also the deadliest city for homicide thus proving that gun bans and strict gun laws don't solve the problem of gang violence and domestic abuse. Now, you are free to throw your race card at anyone with whom you disagree, but it only makes you look like a fanatic.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/4/chicago-murder-rate-far-worse-strict-gun-control/
Chicago has the strictest gun-control laws in the country. “Assault weapons” and high-capacity magazines are completely banned, and up until a 2010 Supreme Court decision, handguns were banned, too.

Residents now can get a permit to own a gun, but the process requires training, background checks and a firearm owner’s identification card.

Only 7,640 people currently hold a firearms permit in Chicago, but police seized 7,400 guns used in crimes in 2012 alone, the Washington Examiner reports.