• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

12 Worst Supermarkets in America

Jen

Senator
I shop a local market. Owned locally and the (large) building is paid for so at least some of the costs for that are not passed on to consumers. The store is not a "cool" store (as in the cute kiosks of Safeway or Byerlys of MN) but it has all the good products necessary from brand names to store brands. I've never heard of those on the list in your link. Albertsons are all over and I really don't like Albertsons starting with store layout and moving on from there. I have never done a grocery shopping for myself in Walmart though I have shopped in Walmart when visiting my dad (and that was one of the two options, the other being HEB which wasn't terrible but also wasn't good). In checking Walmart in that way I knew I would never want to shop there.

Interesting link, Lilly.
Jen

lilly

Council Member
I shop a local market. Owned locally and the (large) building is paid for so at least some of the costs for that are not passed on to consumers. The store is not a "cool" store (as in the cute kiosks of Safeway or Byerlys of MN) but it has all the good products necessary from brand names to store brands. I've never heard of those on the list in your link. Albertsons are all over and I really don't like Albertsons starting with store layout and moving on from there. I have never done a grocery shopping for myself in Walmart though I have shopped in Walmart when visiting my dad (and that was one of the two options, the other being HEB which wasn't terrible but also wasn't good). In checking Walmart in that way I knew I would never want to shop there.

Interesting link, Lilly.
Jen
They just did a million and a half renovation on our store so that is why the prices went up. I don't know if you have Marc's where you are but their produce is better than Acme so I go there quite often too.

Jen, I'd say it's good you don't know the names on the list and yet I do like Acme for the most part. Even the prices were not all that bad or I'm sure they would have listed Ohio.

fairsheet

Senator
I buy my food used, down at "Crazy Al's". He's got a buy there, pay there, thing goin' on and he takes trade ins.

U

Union_Jack_1972

I hate Kroger with a passion!!!

I usually use La Michoacana or Fiesta supermarkets here in Texas... Now if I am wantingy good steaks I go to a local meat market out in the country...

I prefer to spend my money at smaller markets than the big chains...

lilly

Council Member
I hate Kroger with a passion!!!

I usually use La Michoacana or Fiesta supermarkets here in Texas... Now if I am wantingy good steaks I go to a local meat market out in the country...

I prefer to spend my money at smaller markets than the big chains...
I can't what until the farmers markets start with their fresh veggies and fruits. I agree you can't get good meat at a supermarket. I don't eat much red meat but when I do or have company, I do want it like you get in Chicago.

Friday13

Governor
There's a cute little market a few blocks from us that has fresh produce, fresh prepared heat + eat meals, really good meat, and some other good things. There's also a mexican produce market in town that has pretty good prices. Wally World here doesn't have much in food, but we're getting a third WW (way too many for a town this size) that's supposed to be exclusively food, so guess I'll find out.

I shopped at a huge Acme in Akron when I visited there (family) because it was the closest to my mom's place. The prices weren't much different than they are here in the chain grocery stores.

We have Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons and the random small markets in town. We also have Costco and Smart + Final. There's a small market, Green Acres, that has the best meat in town.

Friday13

Governor
We have farmers' markets pretty much year-round here, lilly. There's even one every week on the campus of the Kaiser medical facility in SF Valley.

lilly

Council Member
I think he's just being silly, lilly...
I hope you're right Friday, I was beginning to think he was one of the people who eat out of trash cans behind restaurants. I doubt his wife would let him do that though.

Boy he's going to get one from me when he least expects it. :)