• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

A little known piece of Vietnam history

Wahbooz

Governor
This is IFSDIV93, although the video focuses mostly on the USS Caronade IFS1. Of the four ships, three of them were LSMR's. The one LSMR pictured in the video was the USS White River, or Binjo Maru as it was called by the crew. They were hit with a rocket attack on the Go Song Gai river and two crewmen were killed, Lennie and Shorty. These boats could go up the rivers in support of Amphibious assaults, and were known to have 'pound for pound more firepower than a battleship'. They were awarded Top Gun by Naval command. Often times they split their rocket launchers and fired on multiple targets at once, and used the twin 40's and 50 cals as defense against shore fire.

They were IFS1, LSMR 409, LSMR 525 and LSMR 536.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Moving this thread to Military and War forum. It will be quickly pushed off the page in the History forum.

Wahbooz

Governor
Another piece of Vietnam history few know about. These were the Navy Seawolves. They saved a lot of a..... bacon.

Another piece of Vietnam history few know about. These were the Navy Seawolves. They saved a lot of a..... bacon.

I saw an interview with a series of US citizens about various wars , in it a girl was asked who won the Vietnam war . The first reaction was for her to say , "we did" , then she looked a little unsure , probably seeing the interviewers response , then she said " were we in it?"

Last edited:

Wahbooz

Governor
I saw an interview with a series of US citizens about various wars , in it a girl was asked who won the Vietnam war . The first reaction was for her to say , "we did" , then she looked a little unsure , probably seeing the interviewers response , then she said " we're we in it?"
Just one more war we were lied into, and should never have been in.

Just one more war we were lied into, and should never have been in.
several years ago I, with my wife , and others, were at a small News Years Party and one guest stood out . Her husband had been head of AmEx in Europe, but , although able to claim exemption , chose to serve in Vietnam where he was killed. She told us that her daughter used to encourage her to remarry , her response to these sugestions was to go to the front door , open it and look out saying , " And who do I marry ? No I don't see anyone there do you ?" And slam the door . Very feisty lady , she had been diagnosed with cancer for the second time and was dead within six months .

Wahbooz

Governor
several years ago I, with my wife , and others, were at a small News Years Party and one guest stood out . Her husband had been head of AmEx in Europe, but , although able to claim exemption , chose to serve in Vietnam where he was killed. She told us that her daughter used to encourage her to remarry , her response to these sugestions was to go to the front door , open it and look out saying , " And who do I marry ? No I don't see anyone there do you ?" And slam the door . Very feisty lady , she had been diagnosed with cancer for the second time and was dead within six months .
I lost buddies, shipmates, over there.

Wahbooz

Governor
SOB. I've been fcking up a lot here lately. The one pictured with the Carronade is the USS Clarion River, LSMR 409. I guess I forgot the Clarion River operated with the Carronade, it has been close to 50 years now. Thanks to Lt. Carlson there is a video of the Clarion River, and their gang of clowns. At least he could have found space for a pic or two of the Franny Maru in there as well.

Thanks, Lt., you crazy old f'ck.

Last edited:
SOB. I've been fcking up a lot here lately. The one pictured with the Carronade is the USS Clarion River, LSMR 409. I guess I forgot the Clarion River operated with the Carronade, it has been close to 50 years now. Thanks to Lt. Carlson there is a video of the Clarion River, and their gang of clowns. At least he for a pic or two of the Franny Maru in there as well.

Thanks, Lt., you crazy old f'ck.
Facinating piece , thanks for sharing .

Wahbooz

Governor
A WWII video of an LSMR (USS Big Horn River) and an LCSL (USS LCS (L) 44). the first time I saw an LCS come down a river in Vietnam, I thought someone washed a destroyer and it shrunk. The 5" 38 on the LSMR would actually crack the main deck when it was fired.

Wahbooz

Governor
One last piece of history for the night. This is a documentary dedicated to the Brown Water Navy. Although it concentrates on the PBR for most of the video, there are views of the 'floating docks, or LST's, Tango boats, and PCF's. For those who don't know, you'll see the PBR's are not Swift boats, only the PCF's are truly Swift boats.

Some of the film is of course re-enactments, it describes well the operations of Market Time and the Sealords, as well as the Mobile Riverine Force, and the men of the 9th ID. One of the things it doesn't depict is 'Zippo' in action. 'Zippo' caused a lot of fear in the Cong.

Wahbooz

Governor
One of many commendations IFSDIV 93 received during their time in-country, and one of two NUC's and a MUC earned during Abby Tango's active service. Abby Tango earned the Combat Action Ribbon both in 1967 and 1968, after taking fire from enemy forces during inshore operations. She also earned 10 battle stars during her service in Vietnam.

NAVY UNIT COMMENDATION

THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

WASHINGTON

The Secretary of the Navy takes pleasure in commending

Inshore Fire Support Division NINETY-THREE consisting of USS CARRONADE (IFS 1), USS CLARION RIVER (LSMR 409), USS SAINT FRANCIS RIVER (LSMR 525), and USS WHITE RIVER (LSMR 536)

For service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For exceptionally meritorious service in support of friendly forces in the Republic of Vietnam, and during combat operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force from 19 April 1966 to 31 May 1967. During this period, Inshore Fire Support Division NINETY-THREE operated in Task Unit Seventy Point EIGHT Point NINE, in support of forces ashore in the Republic of Vietnam. The praise earned by these Rocket Rainmakers, both from forces ashore and Task Unit Commander, has been consistently high. While supporting the in-country forces in all four corps areas, and participation in operations Beacon Hill, Benh Phu 12, Binh Tuy 14, Black Jack, Crescent, Deckhouse I, III, V, and VI, Den Ten Van II, Duble Eagle, Desoto, Emerson, Farragut I and II, Franklin, Fresno, Golden Six, Obile, Oakland, Phi Long II, Pershing, Vinh Thru 7, Wallaby I, and Yonder Cajun 6, this unit fired in excess of 107,000 Spin Stabilized Rockets, 9,000 rounds of five-inch ammunition, and 38,000 round of forty-millimeter ammunition. The destruction and devastation brought upon the enemy, and the support provided the ground forces during this period, by the officers and men of this small unit has been unsurpassed. Inshore Fire Support Division NINETY-THREE has an outstanding record of striving for operational readiness, and of meeting their missions, tasks, and commitments in a manner reflecting their team effort and leadership so manifested by their exemplary performance. Their determined and inspiring efforts were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Authority is hereby granted for eligible personnel to wear the NUC Ribbon and Units to display insignia pending formal promulgation of NUC by Chief of Naval Personnel.

P. J. Piper
Command Duty Officer

Last edited: