• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

A Pekingese? Sure..they're dogs...but a pekingese?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
But obviously, Malachy is one hell of a Pekingese...still...this is a breed I find difficult to embrace. The high maintenance coat, the flat face...the extreme smallness...11 pounds! My cats are bigger.

Hey...wait a second...they're Chinese! Uh oh...Jeremy Lin...Pekingese...I sense the trend. Soon we'll all be ordering egg rolls for lunch...

Gotta agree with you. Grew up around working dogs / terriers, and seeing a dog like that just makes my skin crawl. My wheaton terriers would think this dog was some sort of squeaker toy.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Gotta agree with you. Grew up around working dogs / terriers, and seeing a dog like that just makes my skin crawl. My wheaton terriers would think this dog was some sort of squeaker toy.
Wheatons are terrierific...About the perfect size too, imo.

My childhood dog was an english bull...and a granddaughter of Kippax Fearnought, '55 Westminster best in show winner. Last one was the sweetest omega lab you ever met. Still miss her after 3 years...

lilly

Council Member
I can't get into that breed either, they rather look like little wind up toys. If we are talking small give me a 6 lb Yorkie any day. My last one lived to be 14 yrs old and was the perfect dog.

Large dog: love the lab but they too are so overbred like the yorkie, you have to be careful who you purchase from if you decide on either.

lilly

Council Member
English Bull Dog are one of my favorites. Messy eaters, fart all the time, can chew right through a wall but oh I love em.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
English Bull Dog are one of my favorites. Messy eaters, fart all the time, can chew right through a wall but oh I love em.
lol..yes...they are a mess. Gaines Burgers (make their own gravy!) were a hit at the time...and the methane output was impressive. On top of that, she had been hit by the milkman and suffered a broken pelvis that resulted in noticeable limp. She'd wander around the neighborhood on 3 and a half legs and terrify the other kids...which was insane, she lived to lick. Of course, it may have been her saliva that scared them...

lilly

Council Member
lol..yes...they are a mess. Gaines Burgers (make their own gravy!) were a hit at the time...and the methane output was impressive. On top of that, she had been hit by the milkman and suffered a broken pelvis that resulted in noticeable limp. She'd wander around the neighborhood on 3 and a half legs and terrify the other kids...which was insane, she lived to lick. Of course, it may have been her saliva that scared them...
I had a friend who moved to the states from England and had English Bull dogs growing up like you. They have many health problems so she wanted me to help her find a nice one as healthy as you could get. Anyway her husband (only married a year) never had a dog and she knew it was going to be hard with this breed.

Her husband complained about everything this little pup did until my friend just gave up and said "our marriage is more important than this dog so I'll look for a good home for him" Her hubby comes back with "But he's just a baby" We laughed so hard about that. Never a problem after that with dog or marriage.

fairsheet

Senator
Fun part - for me anyway - is that the Pekingese and the Bull Mastiff are the same species. They have way more in common, than they do different. I'd probably not be inviting either the Pekingese or the Mastiff to join my pack. I get along better with the Terrier and Dachshund types. Nevertheless....when confronted with a Pekingese type of dog, I prefer to consider them more in the vein of how "doggish" they are, as opposed to how "non-doggish". And..when we consider them that way, we and they can surprise us.

lilly

Council Member
That is so true of so many breeds, they surprise us. Take the standard poodle that has been seen as a fragile fussy animal where in reality is so strong and hardy that is one of only few that can compete in the Iditarod race.

The Cavalier King Charles is another beautiful and soft natured dog who must to trained very gently, yet they want to please so it is easy. I received one as a gift once and instantly fell in love with her but only lived five years. They have serious heart problems and although they are trying to breed it out it hasn't been easy. They are the largest toy breed.

Fair have you ever heard of the Clumber Spaniel, talk about soft and loving, it's a super dog. Here is a picture. I have never had one and there aren't that many.

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g306_minnie50_clum1.jpg

Bo-4

Senator
My daughter has a 5 pound Yorkie. I'm not a small dog guy, but this one turned out to be the best pet i've ever had.. bar none! She's smart, she doesn't shed, and she costs about 2 bucks a day to own and operate.

lilly

Council Member
My daughter has a 5 pound Yorkie. I'm not a small dog guy, but this one turned out to be the best pet i've ever had.. bar none! She's smart, she doesn't shed, and she costs about 2 bucks a day to own and operate.
Some are too hyper but when you get a good one, they are thee best little dog. I could never replace the last two I've had.....just perfect. Took me years to find them and glad I was patient.

Bo-4

Senator
Some are too hyper but when you get a good one, they are thee best little dog. I could never replace the last two I've had.....just perfect. Took me years to find them and glad I was patient.
Yeah, i guess we lucked out. She's just the best. Funny little thing, personality plus, playful, affectionate, and as i said smart. It took me literally about 20 minutes to teach her to sit, shake, and lay down! :D

I had Labs and Brit Spaniels before.. took 10 times as long to get them to learn the simplest commands.

lilly

Council Member
Yeah, i guess we lucked out. She's just the best. Funny little thing, personality plus, playful, affectionate, and as i said smart. It took me literally about 20 minutes to teach her to sit, shake, and lay down! :D

I had Labs and Brit Spaniels before.. took 10 times as long to get them to learn the simplest commands.
Smart is right, she was so smart she could have had me trained in two minutes if I would have let her, never had to raise my voice to her in all the time I had her and she loved training.

We went to Children's hospital here to visit the children once a week and she and I had to go through a battery of tests. If a nurse dropped a bed pan they had to be the type that wouldn't dart off in fright. The small ones had to be even more perfectly groomed because we could put them on the bed and know that would not go near the IV attachments. She just licked the kids silly.

My friend has a dog with a lot of Alaskan blood and I think I am the only one that likes her. OMG she is so hyper and they just laugh that I could vacuum around my yorkie and she wouldn't wake up. Super full of energy when she did wake up though.;)

Sounds like yours is a winner.

Must finish some things here that are a calling me!

fairsheet

Senator
That is so true of so many breeds, they surprise us. Take the standard poodle that has been seen as a fragile fussy animal where in reality is so strong and hardy that is one of only few that can compete in the Iditarod race.

The Cavalier King Charles is another beautiful and soft natured dog who must to trained very gently, yet they want to please so it is easy. I received one as a gift once and instantly fell in love with her but only lived five years. They have serious heart problems and although they are trying to breed it out it hasn't been easy. They are the largest toy breed.

Fair have you ever heard of the Clumber Spaniel, talk about soft and loving, it's a super dog. Here is a picture. I have never had one and there aren't that many.

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g306_minnie50_clum1.jpg
I pretty much love 'em all. All I "ask" is that people do their research and make sure they're a good fit for the breed they settle on. There're a few books out there, that guide people through a series of "tests" as to their environment, expectations, and lifestyles to determine which breeds are their best fit.

I was going through one of these one time, and was surprised to learn that if someone is used to cats and was looking for a breed that could be left alone (like a cat) for two or three days, with just food and water left out, there ARE actually some breeds (I don't remember which), that are just fine with that! Another interesting tidbit I learned, was that greyhounds are excellent apartment dogs. They're low-key, clean, mild-mannered, AND require very little exercise. Who'da thunk?

lilly

Council Member
I pretty much like them almost all as well. Don't care for breeds that have been bred to kill since that can creep up and surprise you way down the pedigree. Also could never ever, ever keep up with a Jack Russell.

I wonder if you were thinking of the Japanese Chin, they are very cat like, clean themselves, like to be up high on furniture and perfect for apartments because most are not vocal. I doubt they could be left alone for three days with only food and water though.....maybe with someone coming in a couple times a day taking them for walks. They do litter train easily and are small.

That one and the Papillon are nice. You are right you don't purchase a shih-tzu if you want to jog with your dog, or a St. Bernard if you want a lap dog:D In other words like you said the dog you pick must work with your life style. So many people don't think of that. There is a book called 'Good Dog, Bad Dog' that is great and I don't remember the author at the moment. It tells the good and bad points of each breed and they all have them. lol

fairsheet

Senator
I pretty much like them almost all as well. Don't care for breeds that have been bred to kill since that can creep up and surprise you way down the pedigree. Also could never ever, ever keep up with a Jack Russell.

I wonder if you were thinking of the Japanese Chin, they are very cat like, clean themselves, like to be up high on furniture and perfect for apartments because most are not vocal. I doubt they could be left alone for three days with only food and water though.....maybe with someone coming in a couple times a day taking them for walks. They do litter train easily and are small.

That one and the Papillon are nice. You are right you don't purchase a shih-tzu if you want to jog with your dog, or a St. Bernard if you want a lap dog:D In other words like you said the dog you pick must work with your life style. So many people don't think of that. There is a book called 'Good Dog, Bad Dog' that is great and I don't remember the author at the moment. It tells the good and bad points of each breed and they all have them. lol
One of my favorites is the Irish Setter. We had one when I was young, but back then we lived on the beach out in the country. It wouldn't be fair to bring one to my current suburbia. My little reddish long-haired dachshund is the closest I can get.

Bo-4

Senator
Smart is right, she was so smart she could have had me trained in two minutes if I would have let her, never had to raise my voice to her in all the time I had her and she loved training.

We went to Children's hospital here to visit the children once a week and she and I had to go through a battery of tests. If a nurse dropped a bed pan they had to be the type that wouldn't dart off in fright. The small ones had to be even more perfectly groomed because we could put them on the bed and know that would not go near the IV attachments. She just licked the kids silly.

My friend has a dog with a lot of Alaskan blood and I think I am the only one that likes her. OMG she is so hyper and they just laugh that I could vacuum around my yorkie and she wouldn't wake up. Super full of energy when she did wake up though.;)

Sounds like yours is a winner.

Must finish some things here that are a calling me!
Yeah Lilly, well i gotta confess. One of the many things i love about our York is that she's a total chick magnet. I CANNOT walk her down on the Boise greenbelt even in the middle of winter without at least 10 comments (you know, aww, cute, how old is she, OMG are you serious?, i LOVE your dog, etc etc etc).

She's a little gun shy of really small kids and their sudden movements just because she hasn't had much exposure. I always tell them.. let her sniff your hand and come to you. But you know how kids are. The patient ones are rewarded with a zesty lickin'! ;-)

fairsheet

Senator
My two little mutts ran out of "Milk Bones", so I picked up a box of doggie biscuits at Costco. My wife was pissed because they were way too big and they would've gone long stale, before they ever finished 'em all. So...she made me take the box to the Humane Society. That was all well and good. But..I had to run in, drop 'em off, and run. I'm WAY to weak, to've gone in and seen the residents.