• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

A tale of two offenses. AKA, Merry Christmas. Dammit.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Hiyo, ole Phil here.

Today I stopped in to the Starbucks on my way to work and got me a 'grande Red eye'. That's coffee-tech for 'a cup of hot coffee with an extra shot of espresso in it. (for the boost..ya know).

Anyhoo, thinking nothing of it, I took me my coffee, got in the car and drove to work. Couple splashes later, arrived. (As an aside, I always forget to take one of those little green thingies that you put in the top of your coffee cup to prevent the splashes... I like to think to myself that some dude, or gal, invented that little green thingy..and now sits on some island collecting residuals.. But that's a story for another time. )

So, there I am, sipping the coffee, when someone walks in and says. Hey..you got one of those controversial red cups from starbucks. Immediately, my sherlockian brain kicked into overdrive... controversial? red cup? WTF brain...figure it out...

Turns out, there's some controversy brewing (get it...brewing..) over starbucks removing christmas symbols from it's cups. After processing, my brain returned the following thought....WTF is everyone harshing over Christmas...given that we aint not even had the goddamn turkey yet... But, again, that's another topic for another time...

Meanwhile...here's the first link I happened upon... http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/08/news/companies/starbucks-red-cups-controversy/
...some dude riding roughshod with the indignation...

So, what do you think...
Is saying Merry Christmas offensive?
Or is not saying Merry Christmas offensive?
Or perhaps both are offensive, and we should just glare at one another in silence during the holidays.

Ole Phil here thinks there is nothing wrong with the expression..and that we should all be free to live life, and regale the holidays as we see fit.

As an aside, I recall seeing Advent calendars for sale at the cash register of my local starbucks, so, there's that..

anyway...Happy Thanksgiving!

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Probably the hostility of your thread title had something to do with it. Phil's is amusing, whereas yours projected anger and bigotry.
The headline reflected the story...but suddenly, mine is active. It's the usual suspects whining.

I wonder if you see any hostility being leveled towards Starbucks?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
As Billy Graham reminded us, we may be a country with a lot of Christians, but we're not a Christian nation, we're a secular nation. Be kind and don't wish your Jewish and Muslim friends a Merry Christmas.