• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Absinthe in the news . . .

Cicero

Mayor
Harry Jacob Anslinger (May 20, 1892 – November 14, 1975) held office as the Assistant Prohibition Commissioner in the Bureau of Prohibition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger

It was a good guess but in truth:
By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

The world would be a bleak place without Wikipedia.

Cicero

Mayor
I'm honestly glad to see some such places in the United States. The available literature on the stuff is certainly fascinating even for a teetotalier such as myself: http://www.greendevil.com/absinthe_us.html

If you plan to taste Absinthe in reasonable, moderate quantities, there is no other city in the United States better than New Orleans. The rage among drinkers in the know is currently the brands made by Ted Breaux via Jade Liqueurs. Jade's "Absinthe Nouvelle-Orléans" is a spectacular product, not only beautifully made but sophisticated in flavor and, based in the historical Absinthe area considered as the finest consumed in New Orleans during la Belle Epoque. Jade Liqueurs also produces "Absinthe Edouard and Verte Suisse 65", reputed as the perfect example of the very highest distiller's art.

Back to the legal aspect, the prevailing consensus of interpretation of United States law among American Absinthe connoisseurs is that:

[] It is legal to sell items used in the production of absinthe and even the herb Wormwood but not as part of a food product for human consumption. This derives from an FDA regulation, as opposed to a DEA regulation.

[] It is probably illegal for someone outside the country to sell such a product to a citizen living in the US, given that customs regulations specifically forbid the importation of "Absinthe."

[] It is probably not illegal to purchase such a product for personal use in the US.

[] Absinthe can be and occasionally is seized by United States Customs, if it appears to be for human consumption.

[] A faux-Absinthe liqueur called Absente, made with Artemisia abrotanum instead of Artemisia absinthium (wormwood), is sold legally in the United States however, the FDA prohibition extends to all Artemisia species, including even, in theory, Artemisia dracunculus, known as tarragon.

However, Absinthe is sold in most US retail liquor stores, or can be acquired via internet or catalogs because the export version made for the United States does not contain wormwood.

Minotaur

Governor
I tried to find it while traveling and couldn't. I saw Anthony Bourdain get bombed on it in his Amsterdam (I think) shows so just wanted to try it. Keep in mind I get buzzed on a half a glass of wine with dinner.

;)

Minotaur

Governor
Did you try the US version or the original version? I'm wondering if the FDA removal impacts the taste or potency.

jammer

Mayor
Like anything Cissy, take it in moderation. I first heard of this stuff back in the sixties when a friend brought back some with him from a trip to S. America. I remember the procedure you spoke of when we did a couple of pours. Was drunk on my butt not long after the second round and awoke the next day with the mother of all hangovers. Haven't had any since...

Cicero

Mayor
Hah! I can just see it Minotaur. You perhaps standing before a helpful constable wagging a finger at him or her and stating with immense dignity, "Pardon me offishure, but I am not as think as you drunk I am!"

Cicero

Mayor
Yep, Jammer, which is one reason I gave up alcohol many years ago. I have complete self-control as long as I don't have that first drink. :p