• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Al Sharpton = self-serving

Jen

Senator
It wasn't about Michael Brown so much as it was for Al Sharpton to flounce and flaunt in his particular agitating fashion.
Embarrassing..........
Dangerous..........

“We’re required in his name to change this country,” Sharpton said to cheers. “Justice is going to come! Justice is going to come! Justice is going to come!”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/michael-brown-supporters-line-funeral-article-1.1915903#ixzz3BRMSNqgk

If anyone follows Al Sharpton's urgings.................there are going to be more dead young black men, not less.
ALL of us want justice. Real justice.
For justice, we simply must ask.............
Why is there no outrage at black young men killing other black young men (and a not so occasional child who gets in the line of fire)?

Where is that outrage?

Mr. Friscus

Governor
I don't get why this guy gets mainstream coverage.. he's all over the news.

It's proof of an agenda in the media for sure as far as racial issues.

Sharpton is proven to be unreliable, dishonest, inaccurate, and completely irresponsible in sizing up crimes that supposedly involve a black victim (and black victims only).

See the Duke Lacrosse Scandal, and the woman Sharpton supported financially and publically only to find out she lied about everything. I remember reading an article five years after about the Duke Lacrosse players involved, and all the scrutiny and false accusations still were hurting their careers.

Meanwhile, Sharpton didn't apologize, and only moved on to his next "opportunity".

Jen

Senator
I don't get why this guy gets mainstream coverage.. he's all over the news.

It's proof of an agenda in the media for sure as far as racial issues.

Sharpton is proven to be unreliable, dishonest, inaccurate, and completely irresponsible in sizing up crimes that supposedly involve a black victim (and black victims only).

See the Duke Lacrosse Scandal, and the woman Sharpton supported financially and publically only to find out she lied about everything. I remember reading an article five years after about the Duke Lacrosse players involved, and all the scrutiny and false accusations still were hurting their careers.

Meanwhile, Sharpton didn't apologize, and only moved on to his next "opportunity".
People like Sharpton, specifically............
Liberals in general.......NEVER apologize when they are wrong.
They never even admit to that even when they're caught red-handed.

"What pie? I didn't eat no pie."

Arkady

President
It wasn't about Michael Brown so much as it was for Al Sharpton to flounce and flaunt in his particular agitating fashion.
Embarrassing..........
Dangerous..........

“We’re required in his name to change this country,” Sharpton said to cheers. “Justice is going to come! Justice is going to come! Justice is going to come!”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/michael-brown-supporters-line-funeral-article-1.1915903#ixzz3BRMSNqgk

If anyone follows Al Sharpton's urgings.................there are going to be more dead young black men, not less.
Why is there no outrage at black young men killing other black young men (and a not so occasional child who gets in the line of fire)?

Where is that outrage?
There's plenty of outrage about that, and plenty of people on the left working on policies to fight the poverty and hopelessness in those communities that gives rise to so much crime there. But, the liberals face an up-hill battle in the face of such strongly organized and funded conservative defense of poverty. It will be a long time before urban violence in this country is as uncommon as it is in most other wealthy nations.

Barbella

Senator
There's plenty of outrage about that, and plenty of people on the left working on policies to fight the poverty and hopelessness in those communities that gives rise to so much crime there. But, the liberals face an up-hill battle in the face of such strongly organized and funded conservative defense of poverty. It will be a long time before urban violence in this country is as uncommon as it is in most other wealthy nations.
Yeah yeah yeah.... we know. The grass is ALWAYS greener....

At school that morning, Kira, 14, had made fun of another girl's clothing. She paid the price for her comment that afternoon, when several other kids surrounded her in front of the supermarket, pushing her and calling her a "bitch."

"Why are you putting one of us down?" they demanded. "You think you're better than us?"
None of the passersby there on the shopping street paid any attention to the teenagers. No one helped Kira as the other girls knocked her down, asking, "Does it hurt?" Boys from their group stood by and filmed the violence on their mobile phones.

Kira's bruises and abrasions landed her in the hospital. For days afterward, she hid in her room, not wanting to tell even her mother what had happened. When she finally dared to file a report with the police, nothing came of it. Instead, she received death threats via the Internet. "Next time it won't just be a few blows," one of her fellow students wrote in an online forum, adding that "very different people" would come to get her next time. Kira didn't venture out of her room for weeks.

Nostalgia for Neukölln

All this happened shortly after Kira's family moved a few months ago from Neukölln, a city center district of Berlin, to a cheaper apartment in an area known as the Kosmos-Viertel ("Kosmos neighborhood"). Built before the fall of the Berlin Wall, when the area was still part of communist East Germany, it is a development of bleak residential high-rises at the far southeastern edge of the city. From Kira's 10th floor window, she can see all the way to the Schönefeld Airport runway, outside the city. To the other side of the building are bare fields. Then comes a highway, then, somewhere far in the distance, downtown Berlin -- home to Kira's old life.

Kira sits on her bed, shivering a little in a neon-colored tank top. "I wish I could go back to Neukölln," she says. "Things were better there."

That sentiment may seem surprising to those who know Neukölln's reputation. All over Germany, the central Berlin area is associated with violence, poverty, people on welfare and the failed integration of immigrants. This is the city district that provided Thilo Sarrazin, author of the controversial bestseller "Germany Does Itself In," with fodder for his notorious theories about "headscarf girls" from Muslim immigrant families. The district's tough-talking mayor, Heinz Buschkowsky, has become a talk show star because of his outspoken views on the area's problems.

Neukölln is also home to the Rütli School, which made headlines across Germany when its desperate teachers appealed to the government to close the school, saying it was full of neglected children from immigrant families with little inclination toward education. This is also where Kirstin Heisig, a well known juvenile court judge who hanged herself last year, passed her strict sentences. Heisig's book about juvenile violence became a bestseller.

In the minds of millions of Germans, Neukölln remains the country's worst trouble spot, a lawless place run by juvenile gangs.

'The Slums of the 21st Century'

Yet there are now people like Kira who look back wistfully at the time when they lived in the notorious district. Misery is moving house in Berlin: Many of the city's problems are shifting out toward the city limits, into new slums which are starting to resemble Paris's dreaded banlieues. Meanwhile, areas such as northern Neukölln, neighboring Kreuzberg and other parts of the city traditionally populated by workers and immigrants are becoming increasingly popular with middle class residents and hipsters. Tourists are also attracted to the areas by glowing articles in the international media.

It's nearly impossible these days to find an apartment near the Rütli School. Real estate agents see these properties virtually snatched from their hands, even though rents have shot up -- even doubling in some cases -- within a short space of time. Students and artists from around the world are eager to get into the area and apartment viewings often draw 50 people at a time.

Those who, like Kira's parents, can no longer afford the rents in the city center, withdraw to the concrete ring that encircles the German capital. Of Berlin's 3.45 million residents, 420,000 live in these high-rise housing projects on the city's outskirts, in neighborhoods that have so far attracted little media attention.

"The slums of the 21st century are threatening to form on Berlin's outskirts," warns sociologist Hartmut Häussermann, who authored a study called "Monitoring Social City Development 2010" for the Berlin Senate, the city government. His study describes these peripheral neighborhoods as "areas with a low development index" and a high "concentration of social problems."

It's a dangerous development. Urban studies experts warn of the segregation that occurs when a society breaks down into various parts that rarely come into contact with one another. "This displacement needs to be stopped," Häussermann says, explaining that it bars individuals from many opportunities. The phenomenon affects tens of thousands of children, Häussermann says. Not only are they geographically isolated from the downtown area, but their chances of social mobility are also reduced as a result, he explains.

The Capital of Low Wages

Berlin's children's emergency services, which help children at risk in problem families, are already unable to cope. They report increasing numbers of children taken into care because they can no longer stand the situation at home. The costs of government social services provided to families in need are rising, and statistics put child poverty in problem areas at more than 70 percent.
Teenage gangs fight over territory on the streets and squares, sometimes attacking unlucky passersby without warning. Three weeks ago, in an incident that shocked Germany, four young men attacked a painter who was passing through the Lichtenberg subway station on his way home, beating him into a coma for no apparent reason.

With elections to the Berlin city-state parliament coming up in September, a debate has sprung up among politicians over the need for more surveillance and more security personnel -- and a sustainable approach to preserving the city's social cohesion. Berlin's current coalition government of the center-left Social Democrats (SPD) and the left-wing Left Party "has looked on for years, but done nothing," complains Renate Künast, the leading candidate for the Green Party, who is looking to unseat the incumbent mayor, the SPD's Klaus Wowereit. The current mayor acts concerned about social issues, Künast claims, but in reality is allowing rents to rise and leaving poorer people to fend for themselves. "Berlin is the capital of low-paid jobs," the Green Party politician says, claiming that the city's government "isn't taking action to change tenancy law or to fight for a mandatory minimum wage."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/gentrification-s-victims-berlin-fears-rise-of-new-slums-a-748532.html

Caroljo

Senator
Embarrassing..........
Dangerous..........

Where is that outrage?
When the parents chose Sharpton to perform the Eulogy that's when I knew all they wanted was to be noticed. Did you see the "coordinated" clothing the family wore? Who does that? If it were my child, the LAST thing I would think about how our family will look so perfect.

MaryAnne

Governor
People like Sharpton, specifically............
Liberals in general.......NEVER apologize when they are wrong.
They never even admit to that even when they're caught red-handed.

"What pie? I didn't eat no pie."
There you go again,Jen. Tarring every Liberal with your very own tar brush.

Jen

Senator
When the parents chose Sharpton to perform the Eulogy that's when I knew all they wanted was to be noticed. Did you see the "coordinated" clothing the family wore? Who does that? If it were my child, the LAST thing I would think about how our family will look so perfect.
Of course they knew what would happen.
I guess their grief wasn't so bad they couldn't coordinate.

Jen

Senator
There you go again,Jen. Tarring every Liberal with your very own tar brush.
No liberal has ever apologized to me and more than one has had reason to do so.
There have been national incidents where liberal apology has been needed and warranted. None came.

My post spoke truth. Nothing but.

Guthrie

Mayor
Embarrassing..........
Dangerous..........

Where is that outrage?
I think "no outrage" is a little strong.

But as for why there are no protests, etc, to me its rather simple. There is a perceived structural issues that has been well documented in terms of targeting black people, police abuse of them etc. It is not all cops of course. Conversely, most cops, by most I mean the vast majority, are great people who protect us every day.

If a Hamas member murders an ISraeli it would make sense for a protest to emerge.

If an Israeli murders another Israeli cause one is sleeping with his wife, its horrible, but there is not much to protest.

That being said there are also structural issues behind black on black crime, just as there are behind every crime. But slavery, segregation, police brutality, lynchings, police targeting, etc, are up front and visible.

I also feel this is selective quoting. Sharpton's recent marches in NY went out of there way to make it clear that they supported the police department. A great article in the times about this.

I dont find your point all wrong at all. But in any case, the face that they dont protest this, which again is not enitrely true, is not an argument against this type of protesting.

Below is some examples of the type of protests you speak of:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/04/why-dont-black-people-protest-black-on-black-violence/255329/

MaryAnne

Governor
There have been national incidents where liberal apology has been needed and warranted. None came.

So it is all about you? This Liberal has no need to apologize to you or any one else.

When you apologize to us for backing a war monger like Bush and Cheney we can talk. Until then forget it.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member

Poor thing, beset on all sides by vicious liberals who refuse to apologize for the many transgressions they have committed against your precious self. You deserve a Nobel for Peace.

MaryAnne

Governor
Of course they knew what would happen.
I guess their grief wasn't so bad they couldn't coordinate.
Boy,you are really full of compassion for a family that is in shock from losing their Son.

This is a classic example of what you really think.

I understand the Grandfather asked Sharpton to come. Not that Al ever needs an invitation. But for you to make fun of the parents,who,I am sure are just going through the motions is too much for me. Speaking of apologies you owe the Parents one.

We were talking about Al Sharpton, not the parents.