• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

American Middle Class Postmortem

Genedio

Council Member
Regarding the nature of this particular post, it is not a polemic so much as a question (or two). I have already posted ‘post-mortems’ on the nature and reasons for the decline of the once great American middle class, and I don’t think we disagree much about that. Mish does have an interesting take on who’s most to blame:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/09/who-do-you-blame-for-woes-of-middle.html

and I would have to agree that individual American families are ultimately to blame in the politicians they continually elect, their propensity to spend and not save, and their acquiescence to the TBTF banks’ political power and the regulatory authorities’ malpractice. In a democracy the people ultimately get what they deserve. I am not even sure that the decline of the American middle class was preventable or avoidable, even if its decline may have been worse than it otherwise might have been–had we elected more honest politicians and insisted on the rule of law and some minimal accountability. I believe the mass media is also to blame, and even America’s educators, who have not adequately informed the public about the consequences of bad policy…and bad policy is at the heart of our economic decline.

But the questions I wish to raise now came to mind when I was perusing Barry Ritholtz’s blog:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/09/the-middle-class/

prompted by this year’s ‘celebration’ of our national holiday, Labor Day. This article notes that middle class (middle three quintiles of the population) nowadays take in a reduced proportion of total income–from 52% in 1970 to 46% in 2010 (the vast majority of the difference having been accrued by the top quintile, and much of that by the top 1%); that fewer American families earn within 50% of the median income (50% in 1970 to 42% in 2010); that real median family incomes have been declining (from $53K to $49K during the 2000′s); that the cost of basic middle class necessities has been climbing during those four decades; and finally that families’ debt levels have been increasing in real terms (from $25K in 1989 to $70K 20 years later).

These five charts together show that inequality has been increasing while the average has been declining, that the cost of some basic necessities has risen much faster than incomes, and that middle class families have coped by going deeper into debt. No surprise here.

My specific questions relate to the next to the last chart, which documents the rise in cost of the basic necessities (food, gas, shelter, health care, home values, and tertiary education) over the past four decades–from 1970 to 2009. The source is the Senate committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP!) from 2011. My problem with this chart is that it:

1) Is incomplete as it does not show what happened to real incomes from 1970-2009. I believe that real family incomes declined. Anybody know? I do know that real median individual incomes declined, but the 1970's and 1980's also saw many American women enter the workforce for the first time.

2) Says that gas only rose 18% since 1970 in real terms. Now I recall that gas was selling for around a quarter a gallon back in 1970, and today is around $3.50, or perhaps 3.25. True, in 2009 it got as low as about $2, and maybe this chart happened to sample prices at the trough in early 2009, when incidentally Obama took office. Taking the entire year of 2009, or more fittingly, the end of 2009, the price was probably closer to $2.50. In any event, I think it’s safe to say that gas had risen ten-fold in nominal terms from 1970 to 2009, and has risen 13 or 14 fold to today. If this amounts to only a real 18% cumulative rise, I’m shocked. And what does it say that home prices have gone up 5.5 times as much as gas? That the typical American middle class family is always bitching about the high cost of gas, but also bitches even more about the low price of his/her home?

Maybe Mish is right, and the people are most to blame.

That was George Carlin’s contention back in 1992 (or 1996).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMw5676blwk

OldGaffer

Governor
I did enjoy this:

On the other hand, the American Enterprise Institute fallaciously makes the less than credible or honest claim that there has been “considerable improvement in material well-being for both the middle class and the poor … over the past three decades.”

This is the sort of statement that you expect from a group that has given up any pretense towards reality. The AEI has moved from intellectually bankrupt to utterly dishonest, and I assume anything I read from them, on any subject, are willful lies, misinformation and propaganda.

As an asset manager, I cannot risk falling into an alternative universe that diverges form reality. That is the sand box AEI plays in. As such, I have been forced to SEQUESTER their nonsense, as their detachment from the real world is an expensive and potentially dangerous money loser for anyone who reads their foolishness. I mostly ignore their idiocy, and suggest you do the same.

Genedio

Council Member
I did enjoy this:
Yeah, but the poor today have TV's and washing machines and refrigerators and even have AIR-CONDITIONERS! The poor clearly have it too good, since most of them are FAT. [Sarcasm off]

While the claim might be made that under Obama the poor have a bigger safety net than they did during Reagan's first term, when the unemployment rate was officially comparable to today, there is no question but that the middle class has not prospered during the last thirty years--on average. Those lucky enough to own homes have kept up, but renters have fallen behind, as have those without a college degree. Today being a homeowner and graduating college are no longer guarantees of middle class status. Inequality keeps growing as the average declines. The top 1% made off with 93% of the income gains from 2009 to 2010--a record.

OldGaffer

Governor
Trickle down economics is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on humanity, Bernie Madoff only wishes he could have done 1% as well.

MaryAnne

Governor
Good to see you post,Genedio.

We are partly to blame, but some things are out of our control.The Media is one that is nothing but a Corporate National Enquirer.

The only real investigative Reporters are now on Blogs and the net. That is why the MSM is in such a dcline.

fairsheet

Senator
In order for us to consider "middle class" objectively, we need to agree upon a common definition for "middle class". I don't think we're there yet. And...if I were inclined towards conspiracy theories, I'd suggest that the top-2% like it that way....just fine.

For IF we know a strong middle class is important to us and if we're convinced that that middle class is slipping away, how can we confront the issue effectively, when we're not even sure what the middle class is?...what defines it?.....what does it look like?...how do we quantify it?

For instance - let's consider the price of gasoline....If we were to take the average 1970 price per gallon and compare it with the average 2012 price per gallon and adjust for inflation, we'd see that they're not QUITE so different as we might imagine.

But...even adjusted for inflation, we ARE paying more per gallon, than we did back then. But wait! 2012 cars average twice the miles-per-gallon compared with 1970 cars! So...when we compare our inflation-adjusted "cost per mile", we see that what we pay today...isn't much different at all, from what we paid back then.

And that's not all! Today's cars spew out but a fraction of 1%, of the toxic pollutants that 1970 cars did. Toxic pollutants represent huge costs. Today's cars are umpteen times safer, more reliable, more efficient in terms of required service..and just downright "nicer". ALL of those things go directly to "cost".

All of a sudden...the simple comparison between 25 cents per gallon in '70 and $4 per gallon in '12, takes on a whole different cast, doesn't it?

So...who/what, was the essential impetus for virtually all of these positive evolutions related to cars (which are central to "middleclass-ism") that I highlight above? It was of course...the "liberals" - the Democrats!

And......this is the bind we Democrats find ourselves in today. We SHOULD be making issues of the pressures confronting the '12 middle class. At the SAME time though, we need to find a way of making the case for what an good and essential job of preserving, protecting, and enhancing the middle class, the Democratic Party has done over the last 40 years, and where we'd be today, had the Republican Party been allowed to run the entire show.