• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Anyone Catch Trump calling his shot in the state of emergency speech?

EatTheRich

President
Why is it okay for a democratic president to declare national emergencies for their policies but Trump can’t?
I don’t think any president should have that power. However, it is particularly egregious when the president publicly acknowledges that it is not a genuine emergency and his only aim is to get the better of a Congrsss that refuses to vote for his policy initiative.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
If it can't be done according to the Constitution, Trump will violate his oath of office and do it like Putin and other despots would.

Trumpies will cheer because they choose authoritarianism over democracy and our Constitution every time.

I thought to offer refresher civics classes, but Trumpies prefer to forget what they were taught.

Bugsy McGurk

President
If it can't be done according to the Constitution, Trump will violate his oath of office and do it like Putin and other despots would.

Trumpies will cheer because they choose authoritarianism over democracy and our Constitution every time.

I thought to offer refresher civics classes, but Trumpies prefer to forget what they were taught.
And Mitch the Turtle is so afraid of a primary challenge, and such a disgraceful GOP hack, that he’s supporting Trump’s absolute disregard of the congressional appropriations power.

Deplorable!

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
And Mitch the Turtle is so afraid of a primary challenge, and such a disgraceful GOP hack, that he’s supporting Trump’s absolute disregard of the congressional appropriations power.

Deplorable!
McConnell's just like Trump. Try as one might, it's impossible to find one good thing to say about either of them. Perhaps I've just described the repub/con condition.

If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy. ― David Frum

Boca

Governor
To subvert the constitutional separation of powers.
Like Obama did 13 times with "national emergencies" in Somalia,Libya, Sudan,Yemen, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Burundi, wherever the hell that is?

As for separation of powers and declaring national emergencies.a President has that power, Congress doesn't. Let alone the power to say a President can't.

Next time you feel a legal fart coming on Counselor try to suppress it. It would be very much appreciated.

Boca

Governor
“I didn’t need to do this.”
Uhh...that doesn't mean it isn't a national emergency. It means Pelosis, Schumer, et al are all in for open borders, cartel drug imports, senseless murders of American citizens, diseases, and new voters. If they weren't he wouldn't have had to do it.

Days

Commentator
No, it doesn’t.

Trump said it wasn’t an emergency.
Well, it doesn't matter what Trump thinks or doesn't think, once he declares a national emergency; that's a legal thingie. So now he will get sued and it goes to the courts, and of course the 9th circuit court will rule in favor of the plaintiffs, then Trump will appeal, and it will of course end up at the Supreme Court, where it belongs.

... my guess is he gets to finish the job.

EatTheRich

President
Like Obama did 13 times with "national emergencies" in Somalia,Libya, Sudan,Yemen, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Burundi, wherever the hell that is?

As for separation of powers and declaring national emergencies.a President has that power, Congress doesn't. Let alone the power to say a President can't.

Next time you feel a legal fart coming on Counselor try to suppress it. It would be very much appreciated.
The power to declare national emergencies is a statutory one, not a constitutionally defined one. Congress cannot pass a law giving up its exclusive constitutional prerogatives.

Burundi, btw, was the scene of multiple 20th-century genocides. Anyhow, I agree that Obama abused the power to declare emergencies (in fact, I think any use of that power was an abuse); however, he never (except arguably in Libya) tried to use it to do something that he’d tried to get support for in Congress and then had Congress vote it down.

EatTheRich

President
Uhh...that doesn't mean it isn't a national emergency. It means Pelosis, Schumer, et al are all in for open borders, cartel drug imports, senseless murders of American citizens, diseases, and new voters. If they weren't he wouldn't have had to do it.
Not the context. He made it clear that it was a policy disagreement, not an emergency situation.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Not the context. He made it clear that it was a policy disagreement, not an emergency situation.
You're splitting hairs. The situation at the border is continuing to spin out of control. While Congress had a chance to act, it wouldn't, so he implemented the national emergency.

If you read stuff without a vile hatred of the individual speaking the words, you might actually come to rational conclusions on what they say. You can question whether it's a national emergency, it would just be odd to draw the line here when previous presidents did so without a peep from anyone.

There are major inhumane practices going on at our borders, which effect not only us but Mexico, and innocents are suffering because of it. I know leftists' aim is to simply not give Trump what he wants, like 4th graders. However, nobody can deny the innocents that would be sacrificed just to achieve an obstructionist political victory.

Who knows, maybe you can pull it off. It'd be a job well done. Not combating human trafficking, allowing innocents to continue to die in dangerous areas, all the deaths and rammifications from the drugs flowing in.. despite all those deaths at your feet, at least you'd be able to give a middle finger to Trump.

Would that be worth it for "the cause"?

Boca

Governor
The power to declare national emergencies is a statutory one, not a constitutionally defined one. Congress cannot pass a law giving up its exclusive constitutional prerogatives.
Nor can they pass a law stipulating what the President can't do, particularly when Obama did it 13 times.