• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Are there culinary freaks here?

Wahbooz

Governor
yeah, the slavic diet.. heavy on the cabbage.. sauerkraut, stufffed cabbage, borscht, bigos, pierogis with kraut.. they'll put it in most anything..
All of the Brassica vegetables are beneficial to good health. It has been shown this family of vegetables are beneficial in fighting cancer. I know lots of people who don't like Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli, much less Kale, but I suspect they don't understand preparing them, and the use of spices.

Jen

Senator
Story!!!! You forgot the story Jen ---- :)
I was visiting my son in Seattle and we had their weekly "family" dinner where his wife's mom and brother and sister come to dinner. Wife is Filipino, so we ate home cooked Asian food. Brother brought his own kimchee. Nobody there likes it but him. So I had him put some on my plate for me to try. Everyone watched to see my reaction (of course). And it wasn't nearly as bad as I had been led to believe.

My husband is Norwegian. I've already had the lefse and maybe one day I will try lutefisk. Luckily there's no one in the family that comes from a culture of cockroach eaters. And there are no Klingons in the family to offer me Gagh. I might balk at trying those dishes, but I'm usually game for trying stuff.

Barbella

Senator
Good idea, Wahbooz! I'm always looking for new ideas... nothing too outlandish, tho. I'm feeding two teenagers who aren't too wild about 'weird' food... lol. I, myself, I'll try anything at least once...

No, wait... make that ALMOST anything. :D

Wahbooz

Governor
Good idea, Wahbooz! I'm always looking for new ideas... nothing too outlandish, tho. I'm feeding two teenagers who aren't too wild about 'weird' food... lol. I, myself, I'll try anything at least once...

Thanks, Barb. We should post recipes for every occasion and every price range. And I think some should be of the kind that do not break the pocket book, which is what teenagers can easily do with their appetites.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
I had a friend that was Norwegian and all he talked about was Lefse and lutefisk. He had us over for dinner, oh my, I now know what gag a maggot means!
Great people, bad food.

I came from a German background and my grandparents ate Blood sausage, Brains, and Pickled cows tongue. That and a lot of soups made mostly with Potatoes and cabbage.
I wish I was from an Italia heritage as a kid.

Wahbooz

Governor
I had a friend that was Norwegian and all he talked about was Lefse and lutefisk. He had us over for dinner, oh my, I now know what gag a maggot means!
Great people, bad food.

I came from a German background and my grandparents ate Blood sausage, Brains, and Pickled cows tongue. That and a lot of soups made mostly with Potatoes and cabbage.
You can still eat Italian. I'm not Italian, but I still do. Nick Stellino and Lidia Bastianich will teach you.

Mangiamo.

Barbella

Senator
Great people, bad food.

Hahahaha... My dad loved blood sausage... And yes, I remember eating brains, also lungs and liver.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
I had a brother-in-law that used to cut lettuce into big hunks, wrap string around them and bake them. Based often with water. It was great.

Barbella

Senator
I had a brother-in-law that used to cut lettuce into big hunks, wrap string around them and bake them. Based often with water. It was great.
Here's a simple recipe for potato salad. I make this at cookouts and potluck dinners and I swear, everyone LOVES it! It's different...

This is the recipe for a crowd, adjust as needed:

5 lbs of boiled potatoes, preferably white or yellow, not russet - sliced

2 large cucumbers, peeled, sliced very thin, as you can do with a slicer or 'mandolin'. After slicing it, press some of the water out before adding it to the potatoes

Salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and (optional) chopped dill, to taste

Mix, chill. So simple, so refreshing...

Wahbooz

Governor
Here's a simple recipe for potato salad. I make this at cookouts and potluck dinners and I swear, everyone LOVES it! It's different...

This is the recipe for a crowd, adjust as needed:

5 lbs of boiled potatoes, preferably white or yellow, not russet - sliced

2 large cucumbers, peeled, sliced very thin, as you can do with a slicer or 'mandolin'. After slicing it, press some of the water out before adding it to the potatoes

Salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and (optional) chopped dill, to taste

Mix, chill. So simple, so refreshing...
Yukon Gold potatoes?

I like that you departed from the Mayonnaise, Barb. So often that is what dressing people use. Porbably one reason why people love it so much, it's different. Every try celery diced as an additive?

Caroljo

Senator
I have spent a lot of Time in Asia and really grew to like their food.

The little octopus ball soaked in batter and cooked too little round balls are addictive. I couldn't pass one without buying a few. I have never seen them sold in the states.

Kimchee smells like hell and most people make fun of it, but if you ever visit Korea and sample their versions it is very good. Every province has their version and there are over 100 provinces, so a wide range of taste.

I find the duck beaks that Taiwan women all seem to like being strange.
My niece is Korean. My sister adopted her when she was only 6 months old. Even though she grew up mostly on American food, my sister tried to add in some Korean. They learned how to make Kimchee and it's a natural for her :). I've never had the opportunity to try it. But I know what it smells like! Lol!

Caroljo

Senator
Hey, Phil, welcome. Yes, Sauerkraut definitely is. My mothers father used to eat Sauerkraut and sausage all the time. They came from Russia and migrated here. I don't think I ever saw him eat anything else, and don't ever recall him with an upset stomach.
My parents would make sauerkraut & sausage quite often. I don't think we have Russian in our bloodline (mostly irish, greek...and I'm 1/16th blackfoot Indian...Lol!). I still make it once in a while.

Caroljo

Senator

Me too....I like simple. Tell me what to throw in the crock pot and I'll make it!

Wahbooz

Governor
I'm not much of a cook, so can't help on the recipes. LobeeBeef is very good. They have a lot of noodle dishes and you have to be quick when they bring it to your table as they tend to break raw eggs over everything.

When I first went to Japan it was the early 70's and Vietnam was going. I checked in and went out on the street to look around. Down the street came a big mob chanting anti-American slogans. When the Mob passed by I got a lot of friendly waves from the protesters, always thought it strange. I could see bus loads of police pulling up about a block away. They came charging down the allies and grabbed the people and put them on buses, The whole thing was over in 15 minutes, which was amazing as there was between 5k and 10k people. The police were brutal and efficient. They had a few of these while I was there.
In 1965 or 66 there were protests outside the Navy base at Yokosuka, because a nuclear sub had pulled in for repairs if I recall. The protestors were protesting the nukes, not us, and were friendly to us.

Wahbooz

Governor
My parents would make sauerkraut & sausage quite often. I don't think we have Russian in our bloodline (mostly irish, greek...and I'm 1/16th blackfoot Indian...Lol!). I still make it once in a while.
Well then, hey sister (wink).

I think Greeks have their own variety of Sauerkraut as well.