• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Are y'all coffee drinkers?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Whole bean Kona Peaberry,Starbucks Reserve Organic Galapagos,Starbucks Three Region Blend and ground Cafe Bustelo bricks this year

RedCloud

Mayor
Please tell me that none of you drink Kopi Luwak.
Dammit, NS, I was going to post that I drank nothing but Kopi Luwax, but that you "commoners" might want something less exotic!

PS: I had to Google "coffee beans from excrement" to come up with the name. I remembered reading about it but didn't remember th3 name.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Sorry bout that, RC. ;)

I had to look it up too. I remembered it was civets, but couldn't recall what they called the coffee.

BrianDamage

Council Member
Just out of curiosity what is your preferred brand?

We have been buying 8' O clock whole bean and grind it right before we brew it.

Its pretty tasty and more economical than the premium brands both the original or the Colombian are good.
I don't drink coffee, but my wife does. And if I were younger, I'm sure I'd remember the brand. :)

I do know we buy the K-Cups.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Just out of curiosity what is your preferred brand?

We have been buying 8' O clock whole bean and grind it right before we brew it.

Its pretty tasty and more economical than the premium brands both the original or the Colombian are good.
I drink coffee. Not a ton...a couple of strong cups in the morning...I use a 4 cup drip and drink most of it. I like to enrich the coffee with milk fats...half and half being the preferred...but I use whole milk at home.

Usually have Starbucks House Blend...available in 2lb packages for about $9 per lb at Sam's. Will switch it up by variety and label. Just finished some Peet's...same 2 lb bag, also at $9 a lb. I like Kenyan, Sumatra, and of course...Blue Mountain. At 60$ a lb in the nearby coffee specialty stores...I save that for when I'm in Jamaica. The dark roast from Wallenford is my preference.

I sincerely hope that none of the folks who buy Keurig complain about the high cost of Starbucks...

The New York Times investigated popular single-serve coffee brewers and found that it was well within the norm to be paying more than $50 per pound of coffee. Of course, pods and K-Cups are sold in much smaller quantities, so the cost per cup seems low. But at those prices, you'd be saving money brewing a big pot of the most expensive coffee around and pouring out the extra joe. Oliver Strand explains:
For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

Surprising? As more and more coffee drinkers think of their morning joe in terms of cost per cup, it's easy to overlook the real price of coffee. Are single-serve coffee machines more convenient? Absolutely, and for many the convenience outweighs the cost.

http://www.thekitchn.com/51-per-pound-the-deceptive-cost-of-single-serve-coffee-the-new-york-times-165712

no doubt the individual cups are costly. When I use the Keurig pre packaged stuff its about 80¢ a cup.

I like Starbucks Verona but I tend to brew it too strong. I like the Starbucks shades of Mexico which is an organic medium roast but sometimes its too wimpy for everyday the 8 O'Clock Colombian (wholebean fresh ground) is good and taste better than the usual 5 buck a bag stuff. You sound more serious than me about drinking coffee except when I drink coffee I want to drink coffee no additives

RedCloud

Mayor
The Best Coffee

is made late at night in a gallon bucket, on a riverbank while on a fishing trip. Folgers or JFG is ideal.

Fill the bucket 3/4 full of water, put in one single handfull of ground coffee. Place over the campfire and let come to a boil. Remove from fire and let the coffee grounds settle. Drink several cups while telling (and listening to) wild stories and lies. When tired of that, get up and run the trot lines. Collect the fish, if any, and go back and drink some more coffee and tell some more lies.

Aah, life was more simple then. Guess that is why we have so many simple old people now.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I use a KitchedAid 4 cup drip with the cone filters. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house.

is made late at night in a gallon bucket, on a riverbank while on a fishing trip. Folgers or JFG is ideal.

Fill the bucket 3/4 full of water, put in one single handfull of ground coffee. Place over the campfire and let come to a boil. Remove from fire and let the coffee grounds settle. Drink several cups while telling (and listening to) wild stories and lies. When tired of that, get up and run the trot lines. Collect the fish, if any, and go back and drink some more coffee and tell some more lies.

Aah, life was more simple then. Guess that is why we have so many simple old people now.
An old rancher once told me the trick to campfire coffeee is to set it on a flat cool rock while the grounds are settling

NightSwimmer

Senator

Back in my Girl Scout herding days, the wife and I invested in a tripod grill and an old-fashioned percolator.

Good to the last drop! ;)

RedCloud

Mayor
If the spoon don't float -- just add chickory. ;)
Can't stand Chicory. When I was stationed in Texas and coming home to Georgia, I could tell when I was in Louisiana by the postum (Chicory) in their coffee. Needless to say, I didn't drink any coffee until I was in Mississippi.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Can't stand Chicory. When I was stationed in Texas and coming home to Georgia, I could tell when I was in Louisiana by the postum (Chicory) in their coffee. Needless to say, I didn't drink any coffee until I was in Mississippi.
Me too. My Dad drank chickory coffee, but I could never hack it. Too bitter for my taste.

RedCloud

Mayor
Me too. My Dad drank chickory coffee, but I could never hack it. Too bitter for my taste.
NS, your Dad might have acquired his taste for chicory coffee during WWII. Coffee, among many other things, was rationed and many families (mine among them), used chicory or postum as a substitute.

NightSwimmer

Senator
NS, your Dad might have acquired his taste for chicory coffee during WWII. Coffee, among many other things, was rationed and many families (mine among them), used chicory or postum as a substitute.
We had some old rationing coupons and tokens in my Mom's cedar chest. I guess they're still there.