• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

As requested from LOC....Getting more visibility for PJ

I am on many other boards and other than blogs by famous people, this blog holds some of the finest posters around. I think the key to getting more traffic on this site is content. I have often thought of starting a blog and just inviting a few of the left and right posters here that post quality pieces to participate by having a debate over certain topics. I think Dave should consider having some of us become writers for his site and rather than have the pieces be part of a long list of threads, make them articles and start getting this site linked into the more famous sites like DK, Digby, Daily Caller, Daily Beast and so on. I can tell you that while most of the stuff written here is pure drivel, an awful lot of it is superb and should be shared with a larger audience.

When Slate was created, it was a forum for outstanding writers to publish pieces that attracted high caliber readers. This led to The Fray being created to give the readers a chance to debate or explain the articles. It led to the creation of many different forums and attracted some of the best minds in the world to comment upon them. While it did descend into chaos at the end, the effect of having articles published gave it much needed exposure. I think it is an idea worth considering. Links to this site from other left and right sites could expand this board beyond the current group. It's just an idea but it could work if the moderators kept the riff raff at bay.

MaryAnne

Governor
I am all for it if Dave,Jon and Chris would decide to do just that.

The problem at Slate was the Editors they hired, Moira was the best,and they had a few others,but so many of the good writers moved on. You see many of them on cable now.

Wonder what happened to Mickey Kaus? He and Moira created Kausfiles Special for his regulars because they would be swept off the board when he posted an article. I saw him once on cable.

Minotaur

Governor
Perfect. I moved this to the General board so it doesn't get lost. Jen and I have both been talking about this concept since you brought it up. Couple things come to mind: That was indeed the golden days of Slate long before the messy stuff. Though Slate paid political writers, many may not know that some great writers came out of the poster pool. and PJ can be an endless supply of creativity and creative posters. I know of a few writers here already whose articles would be a real treat and other great writers who do not come here often who we can draw back now and then as guest writer.

If there were interest and Dave decided to give it a try Moderators would likely be able to make sure the article board remain article related commentary. Great idea. Thank you.

"The Bell" keeps jumping in my head. ;)

I believe that if Dave had a panel of writers that would agree to zero ad hominem attacks between them, this could work. It would not take more than say one article a week with pro and con debating with facts and analysis to get the attention of the outer world. For instance, I believe both Degs and Trap could revisit their debates on the origins of the constitution in such a manner as to fully vet each sides positions in a way that could both educate and entertain. We have Havelock here who is very good at philosophy and religion. AoD is also quite good if you can limit him to a word count. The panel could focus on specialities of interest where they have a commanding grasp of the material and get beyond soundbites and talking points.

Minotaur

Governor
We have other writers as well so the combination of all could be a force for political punditry or whatever it evolves to. I'd like to see a well moderated commentary boards connected to articles. Two different concepts so maybe two different boards.

I like the individual articles but the back and forth is a board unto itself as well. The poster commentary board I assume would be connected to the articles or running commentary but just removed from the article page. Correct?

Whatever others come up with here may be really interesting for Dave and Chris. It works for me.

Friday13

Governor
The Bell joined PJ, but seldom, if ever, participates now. He probably grew tired of the garbage. I think it would be great to have articles and a linke board so that people like him and some of our really great posters could engage our minds. Thanx to Woolley for the idea, an you for promoting it, Min.

I go to his blog every now and then. The Bell remains one of the best writers on Slate ever. This includes the ones that were paid to write as well.

Minotaur

Governor
I suspect Dave is just now getting a peek at the talent pool that has been hidden. If this can be done I am thinking The Bell and others would be here in a flash of brilliance. I also think that some of those ongoing back and forth examinations by Degs, yourself and many others would simply be amazing to examine issues in detail. I know what all of you can do.

Remember Michael Ryerson? Instapundit was a part of the golden days was he not? And how about Beverly. ah the great writer memories. I even sigh for the fantastic analogies of a certain Judge Yukon. You know on the back and forths it may surprise some to know Jack Dallas, the other writer, does know how to debate the other side without (cough) too much color. ;)

Pace! Give me Pace! ;)

Enough of my wants. Hopefully some others add to this. Love the concept. Fill it up for Dave.

Minotaur

Governor
We can put out the call for other political writers as well. A couple pages dedicated to an article and one dedicated to the back and forth perspective on today's political subjects can remain without comment but click into a board for posters to evaluate and discuss whatever the dedicated subject may be...PRICELESS!

I'm betting they never got that concept out of their heads anyway. ;)

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
i think it would be good to go find those that left tthat were excellent too..

The Bell comes to mind.. Jim Scott...too.

Minotaur

Governor
AoD and Trap would be really good with Degs or yourslf or others in a back and forth that is more relaxed and issue centric. I think everyone mentioned brings something to the table.

Minotaur

Governor
The oft mentioned The Bell for articles and Jim Scott would do great on the back and forths. Both excellent.

NightSwimmer

Senator
The problem at Slate was the Editors they hired, Moira was the best,and they had a few others,but so many of the good writers moved on.
That would be the same problem with any sort of BOPJ. What we're talking about here is basically a special new forum for user blogs, in which only select posters would be allowed to top-post. Who would be the editor? Who would decide who and what was "in" or "out"?

Jen

Senator
That is an absolutely wonderful idea, Woolley. There are some excellent writers here and I am sure they would enjoy putting more effort into their works and get a wider audience. Hopefully that sort of thing would inspire all posters here to work harder to put out some quality posts.

I hope your idea here takes wings and flies!

Jen

Minotaur

Governor
I like articles and poster board link where PJ posters (unselected) can discuss the article or the subject. The common way to do articles - connecting to a poster comment board - moderated but not killed. The debate could also be presented the same way. Everyone has their own favorite concept.

If PJ decided to do something like this the details could be worked out.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I like articles and poster board link where PJ posters (unselected) can discuss the article or the subject. The common way to do articles - connecting to a poster comment board - moderated but not killed. The debate could also be presented the same way. Everyone has their own favorite concept.

If PJ decided to do something like this the details could be worked out.

Where do you envision these articles coming from?