• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Battle Of Five Forks - April 1,1865

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Battle of Five Forks
April 1, 1865

In the spring of 1865, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant had an opportunity to force Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia out of its entrenchments at Petersburg by threatening its last supply line, the South Side Railroad. Grant ordered Maj. Gen. Phil Sheridan and his cavalry to advance on the railroad by way of an important road junction known as Five Forks. Lee countered this move by ordering Maj. Gen. George Pickett with his infantry division and cavalry under Thomas Munford, W.H.F. Lee, and Thomas Rosser to hold the vital crossroads "at all hazards." After discovering the Confederate force, Sheridan secured infantry support from Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren's Fifth Corps. After briefly stalling the Union advance on March 31, Pickett withdrew his command to Five Forks and fortified his position. The next day, while Sheridan’s cavalry pinned the Confederates in position, the Fifth Corps assaulted the Confederate left flank and rear, turning their position and taking scores of prisoners. Pickett, who was attending a shad bake when the fighting began, was unaware that a battle was underway until it was too late. Sheridan, meanwhile, personally directed the Union attack, often exposing himself to personal danger while rallying the troops. Union Brig. Gen. Frederick Winthrop was killed; “Willie” Pegram, beloved Confederate artillery officer, was mortally wounded. Though the Fifth Corps had performed well, Sheridan was nevertheless dissatisfied Warren's performance during the battle and relieved him of command.

The resounding Union triumph heralded the end of the stalemate outside Petersburg and set the stage for the breakthrough that followed the next day. On April 2, Lee informed Jefferson Davis that Petersburg and Richmond would have to be evacuated. Lee surrendered to Grant only seven days later.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/five-forks.html

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I visited the Five Forks Battlefield Park on January 7,2016. Nice little Visitor Center. Five stops on tour. Not a lot to see,a few monuments and markers,and no walking trails but I'm still glad I went. You never know 'til you go. The good thing about Five Forks is that the NPS did manage to preserve most of the area where the battle was fought. Stop #4. Gilliam's Field. Gen. Custer lead a Cavalry attack across this field on the Confederate right flank, which was behind where I was standing. 2016-01-07 14.37.04.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
There was a small but very nice display of artifacts in the Five Forks Visitors Center. The Visitors Center had a small theater which plays a short but helpful video about the battle.

Artifacts:

2016-01-07 14.03.25.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
At one of the tour stops I could see remnants of earthworks in the woods. The tour stop was just a small parking lot and a marker and there was no walking trail so I just made my way through the underbrush and got as close as I could without walking on the earthworks themselves. The underbrush was too thick to get a good picture.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of Five Forks. Pre-ordered this on Amazon today. Don't think a release date has been set yet.

51WFdsHtIsL._SY400_.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Battle anniversary bump. Hope to go back there some day with a little more time to visit. I would like to walk some trails.