• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Ben Carson may be a brain surgeon....

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
but he knows little to nothing about the debt limit, borrowing authority, etc. how embarrassing for his repub/con fans.

Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal interviews Dr. Ben Carson

Ryssdal: All right, so let’s talk about debt then and the budget. As you know, Treasury Secretary Lew has come out in the last couple of days and said, “We’re gonna run out of money, we’re gonna run out of borrowing authority, on the fifth of November.” Should the Congress then and the president not raise the debt limit? Should we default on our debt?

Carson: Let me put it this way: if I were the president, I would not sign an increased budget. Absolutely would not do it. They would have to find a place to cut.

Ryssdal: To be clear, it’s increasing the debt limit, not the budget, but I want to make sure I understand you. You’d let the United States default rather than raise the debt limit.

Carson: No, I would provide the kind of leadership that says, “Get on the stick guys, and stop messing around, and cut where you need to cut, because we’re not raising any spending limits, period.”

Ryssdal: I’m gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that’s already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Carson: What I’m saying is what we have to do is restructure the way that we create debt. I mean if we continue along this, where does it stop? It never stops. You’re always gonna ask the same question every year. And we’re just gonna keep going down that pathway. That’s one of the things I think that the people are tired of.

Ryssdal: I’m really trying not to be circular here, Dr. Carson, but if you’re not gonna raise the debt limit and you’re not gonna give specifics on what you’re gonna cut, then how are we going to know what you are going to do as president of the United States?

Carson: OK, let me try to explain it in a different way. If, in fact, we have a number of different areas that are contributing to the increasing expenditures and the continued expenditures that are putting us further and further into the hole. You’re familiar I’m sure with the concept of the fiscal gap.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy

Caroljo

Senator
Good for him!!

Seems it was Obama that slammed Bush for wanting to raise it....it was a sign of FAILED leadership. Carson is right. We need to do something different or it's just going to get worse.

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
but he knows little to nothing about the debt limit, borrowing authority, etc. how embarrassing for his repub/con fans.

Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal interviews Dr. Ben Carson

Ryssdal: All right, so let’s talk about debt then and the budget. As you know, Treasury Secretary Lew has come out in the last couple of days and said, “We’re gonna run out of money, we’re gonna run out of borrowing authority, on the fifth of November.” Should the Congress then and the president not raise the debt limit? Should we default on our debt?

Carson: Let me put it this way: if I were the president, I would not sign an increased budget. Absolutely would not do it. They would have to find a place to cut.

Ryssdal: To be clear, it’s increasing the debt limit, not the budget, but I want to make sure I understand you. You’d let the United States default rather than raise the debt limit.

Carson: No, I would provide the kind of leadership that says, “Get on the stick guys, and stop messing around, and cut where you need to cut, because we’re not raising any spending limits, period.”

Ryssdal: I’m gonna try one more time, sir. This is debt that’s already obligated. Would you not favor increasing the debt limit to pay the debts already incurred?

Carson: What I’m saying is what we have to do is restructure the way that we create debt. I mean if we continue along this, where does it stop? It never stops. You’re always gonna ask the same question every year. And we’re just gonna keep going down that pathway. That’s one of the things I think that the people are tired of.

Ryssdal: I’m really trying not to be circular here, Dr. Carson, but if you’re not gonna raise the debt limit and you’re not gonna give specifics on what you’re gonna cut, then how are we going to know what you are going to do as president of the United States?

Carson: OK, let me try to explain it in a different way. If, in fact, we have a number of different areas that are contributing to the increasing expenditures and the continued expenditures that are putting us further and further into the hole. You’re familiar I’m sure with the concept of the fiscal gap.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/elections/full-interview-dr-ben-carson-economy
I'm just glad I'm not half a conjoined twin.

D

Deleted member 21794

It took some doing, but eventually Carson got that clown up to speed.

Caroljo

Senator
I'm just glad I'm not half a conjoined twin.
Why? He's the only one that has successfully separated conjoined twins...at the head....and they lived. It's true most of the time one or the other would have to die. He proved it didn't have to be that way.

D

Deleted member 21794

Why? He's the only one that has successfully separated conjoined twins...at the head....and they lived. It's true most of the time one or the other would have to die. He proved it didn't have to be that way.
Liberals: they just don't think things through. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 21794

what positive consequences could come from default?
Good question... maybe we should ask one of America's most intelligent people ever, who said this:

'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that "the buck stops here." Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.'

Good question... maybe we should ask one of America's most intelligent people ever, who said this:

'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government can not pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that "the buck stops here." Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.'
So that is a quote about debt, and not about default on the debt. the question was what positive consequences does default have?

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Good for him!!

Seems it was Obama that slammed Bush for wanting to raise it....it was a sign of FAILED leadership. Carson is right. We need to do something different or it's just going to get worse.
You don't seem to know any more than Carson does about the debt limit or the deficit.

oicu812

"Trust, but Verify"

so who said that? ;)

Lets play out the scenario that is in the Tea Party's mind. The US defaults on its debt. Cost of borrowing become prohibitive, The US cuts social security, medicare, medicaid, basically everything but the military, and the tea party's goal of a balanced budget is achieved. congratulations...
Now let's take that scenario one step further... The US budget is perfectly balanced and then 9/11 happens all over again. The US has to go to war. War's cost money, we can't borrow that money because nobody will lend it to us because we defaulted on our previous debt. To find funds for any emergencies would require raising taxes.

D

Deleted member 21794

Lets play out the scenario that is in the Tea Party's mind. The US defaults on its debt. Cost of borrowing become prohibitive, The US cuts social security, medicare, medicaid, basically everything but the military, and the tea party's goal of a balanced budget is achieved. congratulations...
Now let's take that scenario one step further... The US budget is perfectly balanced and then 9/11 happens all over again. The US has to go to war. War's cost money, we can't borrow that money because nobody will lend it to us because we defaulted on our previous debt. To find funds for any emergencies would require raising taxes.
So Obama proposed defaulting on US debt in 2006?

D

Deleted member 21794

So how much more do you think you should pay?

worldlymrb

Revenge
Interest on the debt is nearly $500B a year. USGovt confiscates nearly $2T in revenue from the private sector each year. Which means the only way USG0vt defaults on its debt is if it is purposely not paid by the White House since they are in charge of the US Treasury.