• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Black crime rates.

Crime rates for blacks are much higher than whites in this country. Why?

One theory is just that they're more likely to be blamed for crimes, and more likely to be found guilty, due to the racism of the system. Although I wouldn't be surprised if those things factored in to some extent, the gulf in the stats is too much for me to think that they explain the majority of the gulf. I think that even if we had a magical ability to know with perfect reliability who committed which crime, we'd find much higher rates among blacks.

Obviously, a big part is just socioeconomic. Pretty much everywhere and always, there's more crime --at least violent crime-- among the lower economic castes. And since blacks are disproportionately in our lower economic castes, they're going to commit a large portion of crimes. But there's more going on than just that. Every society has relatively disadvantaged people, and not every society produces the same kind of criminality we have in the US. Why is it OUR underclass, rather than that of Germany, Japan, France, the UK, or Canada, that is driving up serious violent crime rates to the highest levels, by far, of any major wealthy nation?

I examined a couple theories in a post a couple days ago:

(1) the theory that we neglect our underclass more than most countries do, because of the racial differences between it and our ruling class (resulting in less sympathy), and that this makes the underclass more permanent and despairing, fueling violence.

(2) the theory that we counter-productively baby our underclass more than most countries do, because of the racial differences between it and our ruling class (resulting in "white guilt" and overcompensation), and that this is what makes the underclass more permanent and despairing, fueling violence.​

Of those two, the first theory is more consistent with the stats (which show the US does, in fact, have a stingier approach to its underclass than most developed countries, and that such stinginess is correlated with higher murder rates). But those are obviously not the only theories available. I'm curious what other ideas people may have. The US is an outlier, and identifying, accurately, why that is, has to be the first step to putting in place policies that will start to remedy it.
Yeah this country sucks; bunch of old Racist White Men stringing up blacks from the trees in their back yards.

You people are sick. The mayor of New York is sick, Obama is sick, and his buddy Al Sharpton who has just about moved into the White House is sick. All they do is falsely cry racism, turn black against white, poor against rich and women against men.

This is why Landrieu is going to lose by 20 points or more.

connieb

Senator
It's more than sub par schools, connie. Most inner city schools are old, and I mean old. So much of their budget goes to upkeep, that it leaves less for investment into the classrooms. On the other hand, schools in most rural areas are newer, lower upkeep costs, and therefore they can afford to invest more into technological advancements for the students. And many rural school districts have residents who can afford to pay levy's to augment educational funding. But even in adversity there are 273 kids in Detroit, as an example, who graduated with a 3.5 or higher. Many of them going on to college.
I agree what you are saying Wabooz, but its just that is part of why they are subpar. There are a million reasons why the costs per student in the cities is mor than the burbs, but they get worse results, and the upkeep dollars is one component of it.

The issue isn't even so much as going to college. I researched the rates a while ago, they are comprable between whites and blacks in starting college. The graduation rates are astronomically different though.

Wahbooz

Governor
I agree what you are saying Wabooz, but its just that is part of why they are subpar. There are a million reasons why the costs per student in the cities is mor than the burbs, but they get worse results, and the upkeep dollars is one component of it.

The issue isn't even so much as going to college. I researched the rates a while ago, they are comprable between whites and blacks in starting college. The graduation rates are astronomically different though.
Actually, connie, the drop out rate for 16 through 24 year olds is not that much different between white and black students. The National rate for whites by 2012 dropped to 4% from 9% in 1990, while the black rate dropped to 8% from 13%.

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16

How much a school district gets depends on the state. Michigan, for example, requires districts to levy two millages in order to get full school funding. If the voters don't approve them, the districts do not get full per student funding. Add to that declining property values and income base. Where I live the property values are much higher than a city like Detroit, so Detroit won't be capable of raising the same revenues. Add to that the median income is so much higher where I live so special assessments on property taxes is much easier to sell.

And there is more to the issue than that.

EatTheRich

President
I agree what you are
saying Wabooz, but its just that is part of why they are subpar. There are a million reasons why the costs per student in the cities is mor than the burbs, but they get worse results, and the upkeep dollars is one component of it.
A disparity that busing was beginning to address before it was done away with.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Not that it actually matters to you, I understand you have your own opinion on the matter so facts be damned but still i feel compelled to point out to you that no one from that war was ever charged with, tried for nor convicted of, treason.

you see, in spite of what you obviously wish to believe, treason is the crime of trying to overthrow an established government, replace it with another. Something which never happened.

There were differing opinions of the rights to secede from the union granted to each state when they agreed to join and that is what several states attempted to do. They never tried to overthrow the US government, thus there was no treason involved.

Oh, and by the way, the slave trade was banned in the constitution of the confederate states.

Again, not that it matters to you, slavery was the one and only issue and treason was the crime, in your opinion so that is that............

Yes...people were CHARGED with treason. Charges were dropped in order to facilitate healing the divide.

In the spring of 1861, Union military authorities arrested Maryland farmer John Merryman on charges of treason against the United States for burning railroad bridges around Baltimore in an effort to prevent northern soldiers from reaching the capital. From his prison cell at Fort McHenry, Merryman petitioned Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Roger B. Taney for release through a writ of habeas corpus. Taney issued the writ, but President Abraham Lincoln ignored it. In mid-July Merryman was released, only to be indicted for treason in a Baltimore federal court. His case, however, never went to trial and federal prosecutors finally dismissed it in 1867. -

See more at: http://lsupress.org/books/detail/abraham-lincoln-and-treason-in-the-civil-war/#sthash.bETY9Az1.dpuf

Union cavalrymen arrested former Confederate president Jefferson Davis near Irwinville, Georgia, on May 10, 1865. Davis was taken into custody as a suspect in the assassination of United States president Abraham Lincoln, but his arrest and two-year imprisonment at Fort Monroe in Virginia raised significant questions about the political course of Reconstruction (1865–1877). Debate over Davis's fate tended to divide between those who favored a severe punishment of the former Confederate political leaders and those who favored a more conciliatory approach. When investigators failed to establish a link between Davis and the Lincoln assassins, the U.S. government charged him instead with treason. U.S. president Andrew Johnson's impeachment hearings delayed the trial, however, and in the end the government granted Davis amnesty. MORE...

EatTheRich

President
How did you come to that conclusion?

Visiting Southernersareracists.com? GoBigGovernmentGo.com?
The quotes are available in any standard history of the war, of which I have read several.

One of the best known is by Confederate VP Alexander Stephens:

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/cornerstone-speech/

President Jefferson Davis said the same thing about the reason Mississippi seceded:

It has been a conviction of pressing necessity, it has been a belief that we are to be deprived in the Union of the rights which our fathers bequeathed to us, which has brought Mississippi into her present decision. She has heard proclaimed the theory that all men are created free and equal, and this made the basis of an attack upon her social institutions; and the sacred Declaration of Independence has been invoked to maintain the position of the equality of the races.
On the American side, Lincoln said:

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it.

Wahbooz

Governor
Thomas Jefferson spent a lot of time trying to prove blacks, as well as other 'races', were not human, but some inferior 'race', by measuring skulls.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Thomas Jefferson spent a lot of time trying to prove blacks, as well as other 'races', were not human, but some inferior 'race', by measuring skulls.
But he was on the side of the union..

That doesn't fit in with the liberal academia's rewriting of history much.