• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Black crime rates.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Crime rates for blacks are much higher than whites in this country. Why?

One theory is just that they're more likely to be blamed for crimes, and more likely to be found guilty, due to the racism of the system. Although I wouldn't be surprised if those things factored in to some extent, the gulf in the stats is too much for me to think that they explain the majority of the gulf. I think that even if we had a magical ability to know with perfect reliability who committed which crime, we'd find much higher rates among blacks.

Obviously, a big part is just socioeconomic. Pretty much everywhere and always, there's more crime --at least violent crime-- among the lower economic castes. And since blacks are disproportionately in our lower economic castes, they're going to commit a large portion of crimes. But there's more going on than just that. Every society has relatively disadvantaged people, and not every society produces the same kind of criminality we have in the US. Why is it OUR underclass, rather than that of Germany, Japan, France, the UK, or Canada, that is driving up serious violent crime rates to the highest levels, by far, of any major wealthy nation?

I examined a couple theories in a post a couple days ago:

(1) the theory that we neglect our underclass more than most countries do, because of the racial differences between it and our ruling class (resulting in less sympathy), and that this makes the underclass more permanent and despairing, fueling violence.

(2) the theory that we counter-productively baby our underclass more than most countries do, because of the racial differences between it and our ruling class (resulting in "white guilt" and overcompensation), and that this is what makes the underclass more permanent and despairing, fueling violence.​

Of those two, the first theory is more consistent with the stats (which show the US does, in fact, have a stingier approach to its underclass than most developed countries, and that such stinginess is correlated with higher murder rates). But those are obviously not the only theories available. I'm curious what other ideas people may have. The US is an outlier, and identifying, accurately, why that is, has to be the first step to putting in place policies that will start to remedy it.

From what I've read, there are far more homes without a father in them than in the white communities. There's no way that doesn't factor into it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_01.pdf

Arkady

President
From what I've read, there are far more homes without a father in them than in the white communities. There's no way that doesn't factor into it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_01.pdf
If it does, what brought that about? Is it our exceptional incarceration rate? Some other policy? I've heard conservatives blame welfare before, but considering the US is much stingier on that front than a typical wealthy nation, that would be an odd explanation, without much more detailed analysis about what sets our welfare apart from the welfare in other countries that don't have that issue.

Zam-Zam

Senator
If it does, what brought that about? Is it our exceptional incarceration rate? Some other policy? I've heard conservatives blame welfare before, but considering the US is much stingier on that front than a typical wealthy nation, that would be an odd explanation, without much more detailed analysis about what sets our welfare apart from the welfare in other countries that don't have that issue.

I'm sure there is more than one factor that has helped bring that unfortunate situation about. I will say that any attempt at reducing the black crime rate that does not address this issue is guaranteed to fail.

Lukey

Senator
I do not totally disagree with you on this. I think another factor is the criminalizing of drug possession and substance abuse. It is hard enough for inner city youths to find jobs so once they are caught up in the criminal justice system, it almost assures them of only one avenue to economic survival - crime. Go check out Rand Paul's position on this. He's the only serious candidate addressing it.

Arkady

President
I do not totally disagree with you on this. I think another factor is the criminalizing of drug possession and substance abuse. It is hard enough for inner city youths to find jobs so once they are caught up in the criminal justice system, it almost assures them of only one avenue to economic survival - crime. Go check out Rand Paul's position on this. He's the only serious candidate addressing it.
The destruction caused by our war on recreational drug users is almost great enough to get me to consider Paul. Unfortunately, he's just so awful elsewhere.

Arkady

President
I'm sure there is more than one factor that has helped bring that unfortunate situation about. I will say that any attempt at reducing the black crime rate that does not address this issue is guaranteed to fail.
Do you have ideas for addressing it?

Lukey

Senator
The destruction caused by our war on recreational drug users is almost great enough to get me to consider Paul. Unfortunately, he's just so awful elsewhere.
Like, say, use of the military? NSA? Drone assassination?

justoffal

Senator

One theory is just that they're more likely to be blamed for crimes, and more likely to be found guilty, due to the racism of the system. Although I wouldn't be surprised if those things factored in to some extent, the gulf in the stats is too much for me to think that they explain the majority of the gulf. I think that even if we had a magical ability to know with perfect reliability who committed which crime, we'd find much higher rates among blacks.

Obviously, a big part is just socioeconomic. Pretty much everywhere and always, there's more crime --at least violent crime-- among the lower economic castes. And since blacks are disproportionately in our lower economic castes, they're going to commit a large portion of crimes. But there's more going on than just that. Every society has relatively disadvantaged people, and not every society produces the same kind of criminality we have in the US. Why is it OUR underclass, rather than that of Germany, Japan, France, the UK, or Canada, that is driving up serious violent crime rates to the highest levels, by far, of any major wealthy nation?

(1) the theory that we neglect our underclass more than most countries do, because of the racial differences between it and our ruling class (resulting in less sympathy), and that this makes the underclass more permanent and despairing, fueling violence.

(2) the theory that we counter-productively baby our underclass more than most countries do, because of the racial differences between it and our ruling class (resulting in "white guilt" and overcompensation), and that this is what makes the underclass more permanent and despairing, fueling violence.​

Of those two, the first theory is more consistent with the stats (which show the US does, in fact, have a stingier approach to its underclass than most developed countries, and that such stinginess is correlated with higher murder rates). But those are obviously not the only theories available. I'm curious what other ideas people may have. The US is an outlier, and identifying, accurately, why that is, has to be the first step to putting in place policies that will start to remedy it.
Socio yes economic no. I say this despite the stats and studies that back the idea that crime is more prevalent in the poor population than it is in the more well heeled.
Howsabout the decades of racial bullshit that has been fed to the black comminity by rabble rousers like Jackson, Sharpton, Wright and Obama to name a few that have planted the seed of anger and discontent in the minds of that paorticular populaiton?

I hold out to you once again the example of migrating African Americans who come here all the time and never have any problems despite having to start from scratch and work their asses off. Same skin color....same economic situation.....totally different culutre.

Lukey

Senator
I like it....it makes so much more sense to allow an area to regenerate under the force of it's own economic identity than it does to bail it out with tainted power money from Sodom on the Potomac.

JO
Yeah, but it doesn't put the bureaucrats in charge so the Democrats will never agree to it. Don't ask them why we should expect bureaucrats to solve a problem that was created by bureaucrats...

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I'd say it is a call of refurbishment of character of large swaths of the U.S. black population. If they began to act like the recent successful African immigrants you'd see a sea change in that community and a cessation of calling America racist.

LET ME ASK YOU ONE THING. If America is racist and keeping the black man down, then why is it that Michael Brown was going to college? How could he do that (i.e. be going to collet) and act like he did in that store, Hmmm...? Tell me!!!! What the fvck is wrong with the worst of black culture!?!?!? Even immigrants in Sweden go ape shit given everything gratis that the West has to offer!!!

If is a plain and simple failure of content of character.
How do your poor across ethnic and racial lines compare in crime, std's, all the common metrics? Are poor whites more or less violent than poor blacks?
Dumb question.

Arkady

President
Such "enterprise zone" ideas have been tried out since the 80s, at least, but I'm not aware of any record of success. Even if they might theoretically work for one area, they do so by drawing business activity from another area, so they just shift the problem, while tending to create deficit problems. They're also largely beside the point when it comes to businesses, since they only pay taxes, in the first place, if they're profitable, and the reason businesses have been collapsing in such areas is because they aren't profitable. Rather than a big economically cannibalistic tax expenditure like that, I think we'd probably have better results with direct infrastructure investments.

Lukey

Senator
Such "enterprise zone" ideas have been tried out since the 80s, at least, but I'm not aware of any record of success. Even if they might theoretically work for one area, they do so by drawing business activity from another area, so they just shift the problem, while tending to create deficit problems. They're also largely beside the point when it comes to businesses, since they only pay taxes, in the first place, if they're profitable, and the reason businesses have been collapsing in such areas is because they aren't profitable. Rather than a big economically cannibalistic tax expenditure like that, I think we'd probably have better results with direct infrastructure investments.
Yes, because those have such a great track record of success.../sarc

Colorforms

Senator

Your assetion that we are stingier with our lower class is not only ill informed, but ridiculous. Our lower class lives better than the lower class of virtually every other country. Most all lower class families own at least 1 television and at least one car. Most own a home.

We have more pathways to better education. We have both federal and private scholarship programs, and collages in the US go out of their way to accept low income applicants.

The primary reason that crime is higher among blacks is culture.