• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Boehner needs this or he should quit leadership of his party

Dino

Russian Asset
Two days before U.S. Department of Homeland Security funding is set to expire, House Speaker John Boehner blamed Democrats for the impasse and accused them of using blackmail to shield President Barack Obama’s immigration policy.

Boehner refused to say how the House may respond to a bill nearing a Senate vote that would finance the agency without blocking Obama’s immigration orders as House Republicans demand.
“We’re waiting to see what the Senate can or cannot do and then we’ll make decisions about how we’re going to proceed,” said Boehner, a Republican, at a news conference Thursday in Washington.
When pressed by reporters on whether the House would vote on the Senate’s funding plan, Boehner paused, puckered up and blew several kisses.

The speaker must decide whether to stick with a group of 30 or 40 conservatives who are goading him to hold up Homeland Security funds to force Obama to reverse his November orders shielding 5 million undocumented immigrants from deportations.

Funding expires after Friday for the agency, and the Senate is moving forward on a plan to finance it after Majority Leader Mitch McConnell heeded calls from Democrats to address Homeland Security funding and immigration in separate bills.
Boehner insisted that Republicans aren’t divided over how to proceed.

“It’s not a fight amongst Republicans,” he said, because party members in both chambers agree they want to block Obama’s immigration orders.

‘It’s Outrageous’
Boehner said, “It’s outrageous that Senate Democrats are using Homeland Security funding for blackmail to protect the actions of the president.’
Earlier Thursday, the Senate and House Democratic leaders said they won’t negotiate on a spending measure that also blocks U.S. immigration policies.

‘‘If they send over a bill with all the riders in it, they’ve shut down” the Homeland Security Department, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said at a news conference in Washington. “If they want to debate immigration when this is all over with, we’ll be happy to do it.”

“Understand, shutting down government is their motive,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California, who spoke to reporters with Reid.
Democrats oppose any legislation to block Obama’s immigration orders. If such a measure gets to the president’s desk, Obama would veto it.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/boehner-dhs-security-showdown/2015/02/26/id/627061/?Dkt_nbr=1625A-1&nmx_source=Political_Jack&nmx_medium=widget&nmx_content=23&nmx_campaign=widgetphase2

Harry (One-Eyed Willy) Reid has this wrong. If a bill comes out of the House and the Senate Dems don't want to vote on it, or Obama vetoes it- THEY have "shut down" DHS (even though it won't be at all of course). They'll talk their normal good game tinged with fatalism and desperation, but it is on their watch that such opposition made us "less safe". This is politics at its worst, and just the idea of it will probably mean a GOP collapse. They shouldn't- their party future is on the line.

Caroljo

Senator
Two days before U.S. Department of Homeland Security funding is set to expire, House Speaker John Boehner blamed Democrats for the impasse and accused them of using blackmail to shield President Barack Obama’s immigration policy.

Boehner refused to say how the House may respond to a bill nearing a Senate vote that would finance the agency without blocking Obama’s immigration orders as House Republicans demand.
“We’re waiting to see what the Senate can or cannot do and then we’ll make decisions about how we’re going to proceed,” said Boehner, a Republican, at a news conference Thursday in Washington.
When pressed by reporters on whether the House would vote on the Senate’s funding plan, Boehner paused, puckered up and blew several kisses.

The speaker must decide whether to stick with a group of 30 or 40 conservatives who are goading him to hold up Homeland Security funds to force Obama to reverse his November orders shielding 5 million undocumented immigrants from deportations.

Funding expires after Friday for the agency, and the Senate is moving forward on a plan to finance it after Majority Leader Mitch McConnell heeded calls from Democrats to address Homeland Security funding and immigration in separate bills.
Boehner insisted that Republicans aren’t divided over how to proceed.

“It’s not a fight amongst Republicans,” he said, because party members in both chambers agree they want to block Obama’s immigration orders.

‘It’s Outrageous’
Boehner said, “It’s outrageous that Senate Democrats are using Homeland Security funding for blackmail to protect the actions of the president.’
Earlier Thursday, the Senate and House Democratic leaders said they won’t negotiate on a spending measure that also blocks U.S. immigration policies.

‘‘If they send over a bill with all the riders in it, they’ve shut down” the Homeland Security Department, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said at a news conference in Washington. “If they want to debate immigration when this is all over with, we’ll be happy to do it.”

“Understand, shutting down government is their motive,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California, who spoke to reporters with Reid.
Democrats oppose any legislation to block Obama’s immigration orders. If such a measure gets to the president’s desk, Obama would veto it.

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/boehner-dhs-security-showdown/2015/02/26/id/627061/?Dkt_nbr=1625A-1&nmx_source=Political_Jack&nmx_medium=widget&nmx_content=23&nmx_campaign=widgetphase2

Harry (One-Eyed Willy) Reid has this wrong. If a bill comes out of the House and the Senate Dems don't want to vote on it, or Obama vetoes it- THEY have "shut down" DHS (even though it won't be at all of course). They'll talk their normal good game tinged with fatalism and desperation, but it is on their watch that such opposition made us "less safe". This is politics at its worst, and just the idea of it will probably mean a GOP collapse. They shouldn't- their party future is on the line.
Dems will NEVER admit they shut down the government. They'll cry that the Republicans did it by having someting in it that they didn't want (blocking the immigration orders). So, it'll be all the Republicans fault, although their dear leader has no idea how to negotiate and won't even try to. It has to be his way or not at all.

Besides, like you said....the government is not going to "shut down". Just another of their fear tactics.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Dems will NEVER admit they shut down the government. They'll cry that the Republicans did it by having someting in it that they didn't want (blocking the immigration orders). So, it'll be all the Republicans fault, although their dear leader has no idea how to negotiate and won't even try to. It has to be his way or not at all.

Besides, like you said....the government is not going to "shut down". Just another of their fear tactics.
Clean bills...

Control of Congress...

It is entirely the fault of the new Congress...

Caroljo

Senator
Clean bills...

Control of Congress...

It is entirely the fault of the new Congress...
I agree bills should be 'clean'....but how many bills are EVER clean bills? Neither side puts through a bill without having other crap in it. You expect one side to do it but not the other. Obama pushed the immigration order through ON HIS OWN. He didn't negotiate or try to come to an agreement and he's not going to let Congress have any say in it. Just like the last time the Govt supposedly 'shut down', it was because Obama didn't want to delay the rollout of Obamacare....then he had to do it anyway!

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I agree bills should be 'clean'....but how many bills are EVER clean bills? Neither side puts through a bill without having other crap in it. You expect one side to do it but not the other. Obama pushed the immigration order through ON HIS OWN. He didn't negotiate or try to come to an agreement and he's not going to let Congress have any say in it. Just like the last time the Govt supposedly 'shut down', it was because Obama didn't want to delay the rollout of Obamacare....then he had to do it anyway!
I don't "expect" anything.

Yes...Obama was able to get his bills passed ( a few of them, anyway)...because the Dems had control of the House. Now, control is elsewhere.

Congress can pass bills...if they can agree. And right now...Congress cannot agree.

Dino

Russian Asset
The ACA is not under discussion.

Do the Republicans have control of Congress? Are they now responsible for anything?
Wow! Craig, to prevent his biggest lie yet (quite a feat actually) resorts to an overtly clear dodge.
Yes, the GOP controls Congress. Just like the Dems (who consistently blamed GOP filibusters and "obstruction" while they were the minority) controlled Congress prior to them.
If McConnell puts a clean bill on the Senate floor-one that would go to the House for approval- is there any reason for Reid and Dems to oppose it? Obviously, Reid is obstructing at this point, but your politics and partisan hypocrisy make you blind to it.

Saladin2

Senator
Supporting Member
More Grandstanding Bullshit by Repugs in the House....They'll wait till midnight then roll over and allow the funding.....Further proof these Tea Party/GOP idiots are incompetent idiots...incapable of governing

the budget for homeland security, the department of defense, the IRS, or any other agency should not be held hostage to the amnesty question.

republicans - you have a majority in both houses. you control all the committees. you can launch a thousand hearings, lawsuits, or articles of impeachment if you want.

voters sent you to DC to fix problems like this . there was no campaign promise to create a budget impasse over this or that political question.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Wow! Craig, to prevent his biggest lie yet (quite a feat actually) resorts to an overtly clear dodge.
Yes, the GOP controls Congress. Just like the Dems (who consistently blamed GOP filibusters and "obstruction" while they were the minority) controlled Congress prior to them.
If McConnell puts a clean bill on the Senate floor-one that would go to the House for approval- is there any reason for Reid and Dems to oppose it? Obviously, Reid is obstructing at this point, but your politics and partisan hypocrisy make you blind to it.
A lie? A dodge? It has to be a sexual fetish with you. There can't be any other explanation to your immediate hostility and immediate jump to accusing people of lying. Grow up.

Politics is ugly. I know, you know it. Nonetheless, there are ways to get bills passed and Congress controls the bills, no matter which party controls Congress. Right now...the House itself has trouble agreeing.

WASHINGTON -- The Senate made its first move on Wednesday to prevent a shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security, with just two days remaining until the agency runs out of money.

The upper chamber voted 98-2 on a procedural hurdle that would pave the way for a "clean" funding bill to be brought to the floor, following a deal announced by Senate Democratic leaders earlier in the day. Only Sens. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) voted against moving forward with the agreement, which would fund DHS without any measures to block President Barack Obama's 2014 executive actions on immigration...

...Democrats have said for weeks that they would support only a clean bill without immigration measures, and would be open to discussing immigration separately. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), the number three Senate Democrat, told reporters that most of them still oppose the Collins bill but would not prevent it from moving to a debate after a DHS funding bill is on the president's desk...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/democrats-dhs-funding_n_6753598.html

Dino

Russian Asset
A lie? A dodge? It has to be a sexual fetish with you. There can't be any other explanation to your immediate hostility and immediate jump to accusing people of lying. Grow up.

Politics is ugly. I know, you know it. Nonetheless, there are ways to get bills passed and Congress controls the bills, no matter which party controls Congress. Right now...the House itself has trouble agreeing.

WASHINGTON -- The Senate made its first move on Wednesday to prevent a shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security, with just two days remaining until the agency runs out of money.

The upper chamber voted 98-2 on a procedural hurdle that would pave the way for a "clean" funding bill to be brought to the floor, following a deal announced by Senate Democratic leaders earlier in the day. Only Sens. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) voted against moving forward with the agreement, which would fund DHS without any measures to block President Barack Obama's 2014 executive actions on immigration...

...Democrats have said for weeks that they would support only a clean bill without immigration measures, and would be open to discussing immigration separately. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), the number three Senate Democrat, told reporters that most of them still oppose the Collins bill but would not prevent it from moving to a debate after a DHS funding bill is on the president's desk...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/25/democrats-dhs-funding_n_6753598.html
Ok, right...file that one under "we'll see".

Apparently Reid won't pass a clean bill at all. Apparently he thinks a "clean bill" includes conditions to be sent to the House Republicans, that the bill must remain unchanged when they vote on it. He has absolutely no such power to do that.

So now a bill isn't "clean" if it contains any Republican amendments or riders, but it is clean if dependent on Democratic party terms that hold budgetary items hostage.

I didn't accuse you of "lying", did I whiner? And you surely dodged.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Ok, right...file that one under "we'll see".

Apparently Reid won't pass a clean bill at all. Apparently he thinks a "clean bill" includes conditions to be sent to the House Republicans, that the bill must remain unchanged when they vote on it. He has absolutely no such power to do that.

So now a bill isn't "clean" if it contains any Republican amendments or riders, but it is clean if dependent on Democratic party terms that hold budgetary items hostage.

I didn't accuse you of "lying", did I whiner? And you surely dodged.
I dodged nothing. Your implication was that I'm a massive liar...and only failed to lie because of this mythical "dodge".

Now, you look into your crystal ball and predict the future. Yes...we'll see.

Dino

Russian Asset
I dodged nothing. Your implication was that I'm a massive liar...and only failed to lie because of this mythical "dodge".

Now, you look into your crystal ball and predict the future. Yes...we'll see.
Ummm yeah, I asked a direct question: Was Obamacare legislation a "clean bill"?

You declined to answer...you DODGED. I know...shocker right?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Ummm yeah, I asked a direct question: Was Obamacare legislation a "clean bill"?

You declined to answer...you DODGED. I know...shocker right?
Because it was not a question pertaining to the topic of DHS funding.

You understand that, don't you? My God...I hope you understand that.

Dino

Russian Asset
Because it was not a question pertaining to the topic of DHS funding.

You understand that, don't you? My God...I hope you understand that.
My God...you were the one who brought up a "clean bill".

If you want to pretend that's a priority, why not reference it to previous pieces of HIGHLY partisan legislation?

You know why you don't consider that a priority NOW? I bet you know the answer, don't you?

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
My God...you were the one who brought up a "clean bill".

If you want to pretend that's a priority, why not reference it to previous pieces of HIGHLY partisan legislation?

You know why you don't consider that a priority NOW? I bet you know the answer, don't you?
Yes...a clean bill in reference to ...DHS funding, the topic of the thread.

You wanted to derail the conversation. That was your priority...and it appears it remains so.

Dino

Russian Asset
Actually, the GOP leadership of both houses needs to go. It's pathetic.
I completely agree.

This is yet another opportunity to seize a strategic upper hand against an insidious Democratic minority doing something unpopular- and they won't take it. They absolutely refuse to act principled in matters like this. It is truly sickening that this can be called an opposition party.

To me, this is my last straw for the GOP. They may as well cease to exist if they allow executive overreach like this.

Dino

Russian Asset
Yes...a clean bill in reference to ...DHS funding, the topic of the thread.

You wanted to derail the conversation. That was your priority...and it appears it remains so.
You're a hypocrite. There can simply be no doubt about it.

You pretend a "clean bill" is important here, while alleging it is completely meaningless in context to the passage of a highly contentious piece of legislation like ACA.

That's why your opinion is so partisan biased as to make it totally meaningless.