• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

BOHICA

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Looks like enforced dieting to me. :)
The agency said conditions in California could have "large and lasting effects on U.S. fruit, vegetable, dairy and egg prices," as the most populous U.S. state struggles through what officials are calling a catastrophic drought.

The consumer price index (CPI) for U.S. beef and veal is up almost 10 percent so far in 2014, reflecting the fastest increase in retail beef prices since the end of 2003. Prices, even after adjusting for inflation, are at record highs.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-faces-higher-food-price-inflation-2014-led-141513395--business.html;_ylt=AwrBJR.oaX9TjhMAxynQtDMD

U

Union_Jack_1972

Looks like enforced dieting to me. :)
The agency said conditions in California could have "large and lasting effects on U.S. fruit, vegetable, dairy and egg prices," as the most populous U.S. state struggles through what officials are calling a catastrophic drought.

The consumer price index (CPI) for U.S. beef and veal is up almost 10 percent so far in 2014, reflecting the fastest increase in retail beef prices since the end of 2003. Prices, even after adjusting for inflation, are at record highs.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-faces-higher-food-price-inflation-2014-led-141513395--business.html;_ylt=AwrBJR.oaX9TjhMAxynQtDMD
Back in 2011 we had a massive drought here in Texas that made many ranchers to sell off their Cattle stock which drove up the meat market then...

The drought in regions like Texas, and California will actually cause massive increase in food prices seeing both states are major suppliers for the entire country...

Now how do we work around the drought stricken regions to lower the prices?

More Beef from Brazil and Argentina or Colombia?

More fruits and veggies from regions like Mexico, and Asia?

If we do that then we might end up driving up world prices also, so what is a good plan?

For me a I have a micro farm and also raise Goats and Chickens, so I can do so much but what can the rest of America do to curb the cost they will endure from these droughts?

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
I just completed my second 6x40 raised bed and have started growing my own too, with out the beds and good imported black dirt all you grow here is rocks, :) Thought about chickens too or possibly rabbits.P1010001.JPG

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Back in 2011 we had a massive drought here in Texas that made many ranchers to sell off their Cattle stock which drove up the meat market then...

The drought in regions like Texas, and California will actually cause massive increase in food prices seeing both states are major suppliers for the entire country...

If we do that then we might end up driving up world prices also, so what is a good plan?

For me a I have a micro farm and also raise Goats and Chickens, so I can do so much but what can the rest of America do to curb the cost they will endure from these droughts?
We can't work around the stricken regions, we're stuck with the results and we already import a lot of stuff so we can have produce year round as it is.

Boltlady

Mayor

There are a few things that could be done but I doubt that we'll do them. The first thing would be to address the incredible waste that we have.

Been to a buffet lately? Ever notice how many people pile their plates full, leave large portions still on the plate and then go up and get more? If they did that at home their grocery bills would be through the roof, yet they have no qualms about doing it at buffets.

Then there are the regular restaurants. Even though people come in all sizes, the portions served will generally feed a lumberjack. Everybody is given the same large amounts. What if there was more of an option to the size of the dinners that are served. The big guys could get the larger portions that they may need while smaller plates could be offered for those who can't or don't want to eat that much.

Those two suggestions would make the food requirements a whole lot less.

Then of course, instead of collecting and spending so much money to try and change the weather patterns, it would be useful to recognize the changes that are going on and plan accordingly. Desalinization plants could be built on the coastlines and pipelines could be built to carry more water where needed. The pipelines could also be built to balance out the drought areas with the areas that are known to flood regularly.

Unfortunately, we waste so much of the money that would be needed for that on lame attempts to change what nature is in the process of doing anyway.