• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Bowie has died

D

Deleted member 21794

That is TERRIBLE news. He was one of the greatest musical talents of our time. I saw him in concert in Frankfurt in the early 80s. It was the best concert I have ever seen, I left calling it a SHOW.

Rest in peace dear David.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
18 month battle with cancer. That's a rough way to go.

It's also sad to see the vibrant, young rock stars of one's youth dying of old age and disease. 69 is a bit on the young side, but still a full life. David Bowie certainly lived it.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
My sister just phoned me to tell me, she said she 'just can't take it in' my daughter is going to be so upset. He coloured all of our lives.
I was never a great fan, but hearing the many song snippets clarified his position as a great songwriter and musical influence.

Nor was I but ----- so many people I know loved him.
We live near an old Bass Player who was the session on Space Oddity . The record was his first major one with an electric bass that he bought in New York , he said of the recording , bloody David Bowie , I lost all credibility ( as a jazz double bass player ) thanks to him !
I guess , next time I see him play with his band , he will be playing a Jazz improvisation of Space Oddity after expanding on the story of that gig!

Arkady

President
Not to speak ill of the dead (he may have been a wonderful person for all I know), but musically, he was never my cup of tea. I liked very few of his songs, and I think he had a negative overall effect on pop music, by helping to push forward personality, artifice, and crafted images rather than emphasizing the music itself. Although there's something clearly more interesting in the "pop musician as performance artist" character-crafting he engaged in than with all the pre-fab pop-tarts churned out by the music industry today, at the base, they're both a matter of caring at least as much about the persona, makeup, costuming, and presentation as about the tunes.

We live near an old Bass Player who was the session on Space Oddity . The record was his first major one with an electric bass that he bought in New York , he said of the recording , bloody David Bowie , I lost all credibility ( as a jazz double bass player ) thanks to him !
I guess , next time I see him play with his band , he will be playing a Jazz improvisation of Space Oddity after expanding on the story of that gig!

We all say things - when people are still alive it doesn't matter much - after they die the antagonism slowly wafts away too - eh?

Not to speak ill of the dead (he may have been a wonderful person for all I know), but musically, he was never my cup of tea. I liked very few of his songs, and I think he had a negative overall effect on pop music, by helping to push forward personality, artifice, and crafted images rather than emphasizing the music itself. Although there's something clearly more interesting in the "pop musician as performance artist" character-crafting he engaged in than with all the pre-fab pop-tarts churned out by the music industry today, at the base, they're both a matter of caring at least as much about the persona, makeup, costuming, and presentation as about the tunes.
His influence was huge - and no, not just musically.

My daughter was a young teenager when she discovered Bowie, she just said 'but he was supposed to live forever' - as my generation has come to see their entertainers and 'trail blazers' die not just of drugs and such like but of 'old age-ish' , as our parents and grandparents had before us - so now is the next generation seeing it in this one 'goodbye'.

The next generation, after my daughters though, will have nothing to say goodbye too -will they?

This is it - there are still earlier ones but - who after Bowie? He is our last Goodbye really.

The Punks?

Last edited:
His influence was huge - and no, not just musically.

My daughter was a young teenager when she discovered Bowie, she just said 'but he was supposed to live forever' - as my generation has come to see their entertainers and 'trail blazers' die not just of drugs and such like but of 'old age-ish' , as our parents and grandparents had before us - so now is the next generation seeing it in this one 'goodbye'.

The next generation, after my daughters though, will have nothing to say goodbye too -will they?

This is it - there are still earlier ones but - who after Bowie? He is our last Goodbye really.

The Punks?
There are still the Stones and half of both the Beatles and the Who .
Then there are Tina Turner and Maddona , to try to lighten up , more recent stars might die of excess twerking I suppose .

There are still the Stones and half of both the Beatles and the Who .
Then there are Tina Turner and Maddona , to try to lighten up , more recent stars might die of excess twerking I suppose .
I said there are still those from before --- after Bowie though, who is there? The Punks and then plastic ---

Tina Turner was already around as where the rest.

I'll give you Madonna but she was already taking us into the 'Materialistic' World -

Sting - Madness - some lovely women --- yer, I suppose :)

Oh yes when he does "send off " performances for old colleagues, they are full of affection , just as he teases the people on the stage with him . Last time it was the Trombone player who played on Sinatras " the lady is a
Tramp " ( he needed a box to stand on to reach the microphone , Sinatra had got a beer crate & nailed some carpet to the top. No , he was only teasing as you guessed Queen T.

Oh yes when he does "send off " performances for old colleagues, they are full of affection , just as he teases the people on the stage with him . Last time it was the Trombone player who played on Sinatras " the lady is a
Tramp " ( he needed a box to stand on to reach the microphone , Sinatra had got a beer crate & nailed some carpet to the top. No , he was only teasing as you guessed Queen T.
Huh ---

D

Deleted member 21794

I think you have a point, though not sure I agree on the negative effect. Clearly that is up to the individual to decide. That said, the personality and other things you mentioned are why I called his concert a show.

Arkady

President
The next generation, after my daughters though, will have nothing to say goodbye too -will they? This is it - there are still earlier ones but - who after Bowie? He is our last Goodbye really.
I suspect that earlier generations would have thought the same about the Bowie generation. I mean, if you were raised on legends like Louie Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billie Holiday (or even Sinatra and Elvis) possibly it would have seemed that the greats were all gone already, and that Bowie's generation of artists were just a bunch of pretenders.

For younger people, there are still a lot of "living legends" -- people whose passing will seem like a change of epoch. Even setting aside the pre-Bowie survivors (Paul McCartney, Mic Jagger, Brian Wilson, Dylan, Aretha Franklin), and his contemporaries (Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Roger Waters, Iggy Pop), there are all sorts of greats that emerged in the late 70s through early 90s who are still going strong -- Prince, Madonna, Springsteen, Bono, Michael Stipe, Mark Knopfler, Sting, Eddie Vedder, etc.

It's after my own time of peak pop consumption, so most of the stuff following the early 90s doesn't have the same "legendary" status in my mind, but I suspect that in the minds of today's kids, a lot of it will: Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Mariah Carey, Adele, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Coldplay, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Usher, Beyonce.

Last edited:
I think you have a point, though not sure I agree on the negative effect. Clearly that is up to the individual to decide. That said, the personality and other things you mentioned are why I called his concert a show.
We always had our idols --- he bought that back to us. I also was not a great fan but that don't mean I didn't approve.

Though that said - my feelings about Bowie were coloured by a sort of jealousy, it was then, when my daughter found him and laying on tummys with legs bent at the knee, spent many hours with a girlfriend talking about and listening to him - I felt that pang when we realize we are loosing our baby :( So, my biased agin him was rather unfair.