• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

But I hate World of Warcraft!

Jen

Senator
I've been a gamer for more years than I will even admit to being alive, Lapcat. My husband and I met at a Dungeons and Dragons table. So I guess I'm admitting to at least something.

D

Doc

I spent all my time in Star Wars Galaxies at the bazaar buying outfits. And buying clothes is not my style.........so I knew it was bad when that was the only fun thing to do.

I have family members in Minnesota who are trying to get me into Star Wars Old Republic. I did Beta on LOTRO and really didn't get into it, so I never went any further.
Had a few buddies say the exact same thing.

I suppose it is all based on your feelings on the World Setting. LOTRO is a tad bit less "fanciful," and, I think, a tad bit more difficult in some respects. Not quite as Social, either.....That is where WoW holds it's huge advantage...

Dave

Council Member
I am an old board and table top strategy gamer, started in college with a game called D-Day and another one called Chancellorsville, both made by the Avalon Hill Company, long gone now. I used to attend gaming conventions and we would have teams recreating famous land and naval battles on large tables using terrain and miniatures and books of rules and umpires.
That sounds really fun OG! About 2 times a year me and 3 buds play Lord of the Rings Risk. Start at about noon with a case of beer each and play for about 15 hours ;P

Jen

Senator
I haven't played in a group since my husband quit playing WoW (no time...). We used to play with friends in Washington State and Michigan and family in Minnesota. Once I started playing alone, I discovered I preferred that. I do tend to have kids gravitate to my toons (I make them cute with hair matching outfits, etc) but that's okay. Kids (and animals, but kids in this context) like me. I have no idea why.

Had a few buddies say the exact same thing.

I suppose it is all based on your feelings on the World Setting. LOTRO is a tad bit less "fanciful," and, I think, a tad bit more difficult in some respects. Not quite as Social, either.....That is where WoW holds it's huge advantage...

Dave

Council Member
Oh, doc..............I understand that WoW is one of the older (now) and weaker games. I still like it. My niece and nephew are trying to get me onto Star Wars......... I'm not ready to let go of WoW and not wanting to pay for 2 games.

I saw RIFT come out.........didn't go there.

I did try the first Star Wars and it sucked.

My husband played Asheron's Call........... that's probably gone by now.
Swtor (new star wars), is basically WoW but of course with a different story ;) If you LOVE WoW, check out swtor (especially since you love the movies).

Jen

Senator
I know..........I know.........you wouldn't believe the number of people who are encouraging me to do that. Many of my friends have switched from WoW to swtor.

Swtor (new star wars), is basically WoW but of course with a different story ;) If you LOVE WoW, check out swtor (especially since you love the movies).

Corruptbuddha

Governor
I'm playing Star Wars: The Old Republic now exclusively.

The best MMO out there.

Not a WoW killer, per se, but it does what it does (Star Wars for the Masses) VERY WELL.

Oh, and I'm waiting for Mass Effect III with bated breath.

Dave

Council Member
They have done much to improve on all of that. Some games, more than others.

These days, most have special zones you have to go to, in order to "fight in PvP." (My buddies and I seldom do, as you will just get yakked alot by kids...) But some offer some intriguing challenges: Star Trek, as I stated above, is Ship to Ship Battles, Federation Vs. Klingon Empire. Lord of the Rings has zones where you can take your main character and fight players playing as "monster" characters (Orcs, Wargs, Spiders, etc.). And The Old Republic lets you go to zones for some Jedi/Republic Vs. Sith/Empire fights!

Actually, MMO's have come a LONG way since Ultima Online and Everquest.....MUCH easier, and FAR, FAR, FAR less aggravating....
I know we talked briefly about this stuff b4, but you wanna talk about one that required patience then you should have seen Lineage 2. We would sit in a cave for 12 hours exp'ing and get like 3% towards 1 level lol. Killing the same mobs AOE over and over all day ;P

The work paid off though in the game, pvp was freaking amazing. We used to have 200vs200 for castle sieges on Sundays (you wanna talk about a kick ass MMO experience, that was it). You had to be real pro and work as a team in PVP in that game, and it really gave you that awesome "team" feeling.

Dave

Council Member
I think someone should start a PJ guild on SWTOR :D
LOL, republicans can be Jedi, dems can be sith, and they can kill each other all day long LOL

Next thing you know a discussion gets heated here and you'll be seeing "LOGIN TO SWTOR NOW, IMMA SMASH YOU"

D

Doc

You should check out the other Free Games.

LOL, you can do all kinds of different Star Fleet Uniforms in STO. Even for your crew. I have a buddy who has an all female crew, and has them in the old Skirts....

Jen

Senator
I love MMORPG's. I remember in the olden pen and paper D&D games we would sit and wonder if D&D would ever get to computers and try to figure out how to do it ourselves. I was game master for several years on Neverwinter's Night.... where you could (in C+) do the dungeons and have your pals play them. I made the dungeons/ world and my husband and his friends played in them. Once I got WoW ( as soon as it came out since my sons did Beta for WoW) I was hooked.

Currently, I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I've never been a fan of MMORPGs. The closest I come, generally, is the Battlefield games. But I did take part in the STO Beta, and liked it. I may take it up, not that it's FTP.

Jen

Senator
I'll have to see if I can get a free month or something. I've done virtually everything in WoW more than once. Maybe it's time to at least look somewhere else.

I'm playing Star Wars: The Old Republic now exclusively.

The best MMO out there.

Not a WoW killer, per se, but it does what it does (Star Wars for the Masses) VERY WELL.

Oh, and I'm waiting for Mass Effect III with bated breath.

D

Doc

That sounds really fun OG! About 2 times a year me and 3 buds play Lord of the Rings Risk. Start at about noon with a case of beer each and play for about 15 hours ;P
If you have not tried any of them, I suggest the Axies and Allies games. The MAIN Game, in particular, with all 5 of the powers.

Can take a LONG day to play, though, but loads of fun.

D

Doc

No you have that backwards....Conservatives are Sith...I would revel in my EVIL!
Bleh, the Sith are too creepy, for me. Plus, they all bet UGLIED by the influence of the Dark Side.

I'm just an angry Jedi Knight, who sometimes gives in to the Dark Side to defeat, err, the Dark Side...just like Mace Windu!

Bounty Hunters (Imperial equivalent of Troopers...) are cool, though....