• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Calling all Southerners!

Corruptbuddha

Governor
My Ma-Ma used to make fried cornbread. It had a golden brown outside and a soft inside. It was perfect with dishes like collards, pinto beans with fatback, and anything else that had a pot-liquor you could sop up.

Trouble is, both my Mom and Ma-Ma are passed and I don't have the recipe. And I have a craving for cornbread and collards you wouldn't believe!

So would any of you know how it's made?

Last edited:

BobbyT

Governor
My Ma-Ma used to make fried cornbread. It had a golden brown outside and a soft inside. It was perfect with dishes like collards, pinto beans with fatback, and anything else that had a pot-liquor you could sop up.

Trouble is, both my Mom and Ma-Ma are passed and I don't have the recipe. And I have a craving for cornbread and collards you wouldn't believe!

Try this recipe. I've had fried cornmeal mush and in addition to how you had it, it's also great with Texas style chili. Cornmeal mush doesn't have the leavening ingredients you get in cornbread.

http://thesouthernladycooks.com/2010/04/05/fried-cornmeal-mush/

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy

I make a special blend for my most honored guest.
I give just a little squirt of piss.

SB
Save it for the special occasion

Last edited:

BobbyT

Governor
Sounds good......I think I'll try that one. A nice variation to think about....maybe try that recipe with a tablespoon or so of sugar to make it a sweet fried corn meal.
Yes, I bet with sugar would be good (though you might not want to serve it with syrup -- too much sweet. But I bet a little sweeter taste would be perfect with bitter greens.

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy
Yes, I bet with sugar would be good (though you might not want to serve it with syrup -- too much sweet. But I bet a little sweeter taste would be perfect with bitter greens.
Problem is Yankees like it sweet....
That would be corn cake....

Leave out the sweet and make bread....
I do occasionally put sliced jalapeño and cheese in the mix.

SB

I totally missed that step/ingredients. You're right ......if adding sugar I wouldn't do the syrup.

I'm going to try it that in the next coupla days....I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe

Paula Deen has a great recipe I've made on dozens of occasions if you like you cornbread softer and sweeter than traditional corn meal cake or muffins.

Just google Paula Deen cornbread casserole....you will not be disappointed

BobbyT

Governor
Problem is Yankees like it sweet....
That would be corn cake....

Leave out the sweet and make bread....
I do occasionally put sliced jalapeño and cheese in the mix.

SB
I don't make fried corn mush, which is what we were talking about, but I do make cornbread. If I add anything it's roasted green chili, whole corn kernels, and cheese. That's how I make it to go with posole. When serving it with chili I just make plain corn bread because I like to crumble it up with the chili in my bowl.

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy
I don't make fried corn mush, which is what we were talking about, but I do make cornbread. If I add anything it's roasted green chili, whole corn kernels, and cheese. That's how I make it to go with posole. When serving it with chili I just make plain corn bread because I like to crumble it up with the chili in my bowl.
Yep
That is good to go.
I was surprised when reading these recipes many of them didn't include eggs...
Interesting.
SB

BobbyT

Governor
Yep
That is good to go.
I was surprised when reading these recipes many of them didn't include eggs...
Interesting.
SB
The fried mush doesn't, but cornbread may (like one of the recipes Dawg linked). You don't want leavening (eggs, baking powder, baking soda,) in fried mush; they'd take too long to fry and get too dark before being done. Maybe if you made the fried mush more of a pancake thickness you could add eggs and they'd cook through without getting too dark. Sort of like corn-based potato pancakes. I bet that would be good CTTOI.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
who in NM wouldn't add roasted green chili's..................just saw my first chili roaster.......may build me one

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
Cornbread fritters
1 cup of water
2 cups of Butter Milk
1/4 cup Bacon Grease
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 and a half cups of self-rising cornmeal
1/2 Tablespoon of salt
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix cornmeal, salt, and water together.
  2. In a cast iron skillet, heat bacon drippings and oil until almost smoking. You will know the oil is hot when a few drops of water sizzle when dropped into the skillet.
  3. Drop 2 tablespoons of cornmeal mixture into the oil and brown until golden crust forms around the edges of the cornbread (about 2 minutes and then turn and brown until cornbread is golden on the outside. Add more oil and/or bacon drippings if the skillet becomes too dry. Remove to a paper towel to drain and serve hot.

BobbyT

Governor
who in NM wouldn't add roasted green chili's..................just saw my first chili roaster.......may build me one
There is no better Autumn smell than roasting green chili. I buy a 50 pound bag every year, have it roasted, then take it home to put in freezer bags to use throughout the year. Inevitably many don't make it to the bags - freshly roasted green chili right out of the bag still steaming, peeled and popped straight into my mouth. There are roasters set up in every grocery store parking lot and farmers market here, so it's easier to pay $5 to have it roasted than make a roaster. Probably don't have roasters all over in NC like we do from Sep - Oct.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
There is no better Autumn smell than roasting green chili. I buy a 50 pound bag every year, have it roasted, then take it home to put in freezer bags to use throughout the year. Inevitably many don't make it to the bags - freshly roasted green chili right out of the bag still steaming, peeled and popped straight into my mouth. There are roasters set up in every grocery store parking lot and farmers market here, so it's easier to pay $5 to have it roasted than make a roaster. Probably don't have roasters all over in NC like we do from Sep - Oct.
never seen a roaster here in NC............come fall folks will see one

BobbyT

Governor
never seen a roaster here in NC............come fall folks will see one
I think that would be awesome. Can you buy green chili in bulk in NC? If so you might get some begging to use your roaster once they get a whiff of your roasting.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Last edited: