• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Can a person be a good Christian & be mean spirited toward their fellowman?

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
depends on what you mean by 'mean spirited'???

if, in response to someone sharing a diagnosis of illness with me I say....well, good, you deserve it. then no, they're not being a good christian

if, I choose not to laud or support the distribution of contraception...say to teens in school....because that may be my belief... then.. am I being mean spirited..because I do not comport with anothers view on the matter....??

clarity please...?

depends on what you mean by 'mean spirited'???

if, in response to someone sharing a diagnosis of illness with me I say....well, good, you deserve it. then no, they're not being a good christian

if, I choose not to laud or support the distribution of contraception...say to teens in school....because that may be my belief... then.. am I being mean spirited..because I do not comport with anothers view on the matter....??

clarity please...?
disagreeing is NOT being mean spirited... come on Phil, you know what i was referring too!

Well, believe it or not, though my parents are from NY originally, I grew up in Asheville NC which I suspect is in your neck of the woods. But I got an engineering degree and moved to Seattle. West Coast cities are a bit different from East Coast cities but big is big. My wife is a city girl. But Seattle is surrounded by lots of beautiful mountains (and water) so you can get away. But I definitely understand the allure.
I'm a little north of where you grew up. I live in Breezewood, PA. My family has been in these mountains for 200 years. My g-g-grandfather came here in the early 1800s from Germany with his parents. I live about 1/2 hr. from the original family homestead which is still in the family, owned by one of my cousins.

imreallyperplexed

Council Member
Living so close to your roots is a very, very rare thing these days. I do know the history of my family's "wanderings" but we are not so firmly rooted in a single place. Roots are a powerful thing.

I'm a little north of where you grew up. I live in Breezewood, PA. My family has been in these mountains for 200 years. My g-g-grandfather came here in the early 1800s from Germany with his parents. I live about 1/2 hr. from the original family homestead which is still in the family, owned by one of my cousins.

Living so close to your roots is a very, very rare thing these days. I do know the history of my family's "wanderings" but we are not so firmly rooted in a single place. Roots are a powerful thing.
Yes they are. I think it is good for a person to know where they come from, it give them a sense of family that one doe not noramally have.

Patrick

Council Member
Just saying!!!

I've a very good friend that quietly left PJ's because of people being mean spirited.

Your thoughts?
I don't want to get into the whole "this person's a good Christian because they believe..."

A Christian is anyone who honestly professes to be one. As to how "good" they are at being a Christian, I leave that between them and God.

I think what you're really asking is if "mean-spiritedness" is compatible with Christianity. It is not. Mean-spiritedness is not Christian.

The reason I won't say that this person can't be a good Christian is because this person might otherwise be a very good Christian. I'm not prepared to say that a single flaw disqualifies someone from being a "good Christian."

Z

zzigzzag

I'm not prepared to say that a single flaw disqualifies someone from being a "good Christian."

My only quandary is how "conservative philosophy" jives with Christian ideals. I am of the opinion that the latter gets regularly adjusted with clever semantics and cherry picked scripture to serve the former. The pinnacle of this effort, of course, is the concept of the "gospel of abundance" that TV evangelists (Republicans) shovel to justify their tithe-fed self indulgence to the dupes.

Z

zzigzzag

No takers? OK, then. I'll keep "conservative Christian" on my oxymoron list.