• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Can a Republican explain this incoherence to me?

Council Member
What do they call redistribution of money spent by our military around the world? Since that is our very largest single point of exit of tax payers money? sure the hell seems to me that the right thinks of military spending as a right!

moddem38

Council Member
What do they call redistribution of money spent by our military around the world? Since that is our very largest single point of exit of tax payers money? sure the hell seems to me that the right thinks of military spending as a right!
Good point. They call it, misleadingly, "national defense." Although one question whether bases in Germany are really protecting the country.

Figjam

Mayor
...from the same article - "...44 percent of Social Security recipients, 43 percent of those receiving unemployment benefits, and 40 percent of those on Medicare say that they “have not used a government program.” - just a tad bit disturbing, wouldn't you say?

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
The columnist points out that when Mitt Romney discussed the new Obama budget, he condemned Mr. Obama for not taking on entitlement spending — and, in the very next breath, attacked him for cutting Medicare.

So, is Medicare not an entitlement now? Is there good government redistribution and bad government distribution?

Just curious.

Source:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/opinion/krugman-moochers-against-welfare.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Mr. Moddem,

Medicare is not an entitlement. Rather, it is a government healthcare system that taxpayers pay into....

Oh, wait, I see what you mean. You're coming from the standpoint of a welfare bum who, although they never paid into the system, demands medicare, whereas the good Governor is coming from the standpoint of a taxpayer who has seen medicare withholding talken out of every one of his paychecks.

Norkalein

Council Member
Mr. Moddem,

Medicare is not an entitlement. Rather, it is a government healthcare system that taxpayers pay into....

Oh, wait, I see what you mean. You're coming from the standpoint of a welfare bum who, although they never paid into the system, demands medicare, whereas the good Governor is coming from the standpoint of a taxpayer who has seen medicare withholding talken out of every one of his paychecks.
Every person who earns a paycheck pays 1.45% of their income ... entire working career ... for Medicare Part A, which is the hospital portion of Medicare. If a person wants Part B, which is the medical/doctor portion of Medicare, the cost for most new enrollees is (for 2012) $99.90 per person, per month.

moddem38

Council Member
Mr. Moddem,

I'll ignore your obnoxious (and unfair) comment about me being a welfare bum and try to discuss the issue on its merits. A few points: Cons don't apply that argument to unemployment insurance. People pay into that, too. A conservative economist, Russ Roberts, points out that he's paid into workman's comp for years and won't get any of it. Is that an entitlement, too?
Santorum considered Medicare an entitlement when he discussed the budget a few days ago, so apparently some Reps don't see it as an earned benefit. Is his perspective flawed, too?

Medicare is not solely for the old;younger people on disability are sometimes eligible for it. Of course, if Ryan has his way it won't be along for anyone under 55.