1. Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?
    Dismiss Notice

Can somone here answer a question about Syria?

Discussion in 'Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy' started by Corruptbuddha, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Corruptbuddha

Corruptbuddha Governor

Why does the US want to overthrow the Assad regime? I've looked everywhere an I can't find anything other than wacky conspiracy theories. Is it simply to export democracy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. EatTheRich

EatTheRich Senator

My understanding: Syria has been a consistent ally of Russia and opponent of U.S. interests in the region for decades. It has led opposition to the U.S.'s ally Israel for a long time, and has supported the anti-American, anti-Israel Hezbollah.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Days

Days Governor

that's pretty much it, although I would have worded it differently; Israel wants to expand into and swallow up Syria, so we are helping Israel by destroying all semblance of civilization in Syria.

4. EatTheRich

EatTheRich Senator

I would argue that the U.S. is seeking a favorable balance of power there, not necessarily the triumph of this or that power. In fact, its goals and Israel's have increasingly diverged in recent months as the U.S. has made organizing a fight against Islamic State a priority over a fight against Assad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Sage of Main Street

The Sage of Main Street Mayor

Wahhabi Lobby

Sunnis, led by Saudi Arabia, against Shiites, led by Iran, is no alternate history. It's been going on continually for almost 1400 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BitterPill

BitterPill The Shoe Cometh Supporting Member

Great friends with the Iranians as well.

However, I don't see those as ample reasons to overthrow a regime, especially when one considers the possible implications of a Syrian power vacuum and those likely to fill it. This is one subject where I differed with the Obama Administration and one that Hillary intended to pursue.

Is regime change ever justified? One could point out that Qaddafi had American blood on his hands, so supporting his overthrow was justifiable, but I'm about 50-50 on that.

And then there is Iraq.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. EatTheRich

EatTheRich Senator

And I think if you look at Obama's record, the priority shifted in his later years to fighting IS even if that meant Assad stayed in power. Clinton was more anti-Assad but Trump largely seems to be following the pattern laid down by Obama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BitterPill

BitterPill The Shoe Cometh Supporting Member

Good point.

Hey, I want to ask you what you think of a Kurdistan, whether one should be established, whether you think they deserve one?

Self-determination and such.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. EatTheRich

EatTheRich Senator

I do support an independent Kurdistan.

10. Queen Titania

Queen Titania Senator

If gas pipelines run from Qatar to Turkey and from there to Europe Russia is cut out of the picture - Syria said no to Qatar's pipelines.

• Winner Winner x 1