• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Car and Truck of the year?

Hyundai Elantra and the Range Rover Evoque.

And we wonder how American Auto companies are doing?

Not so well.

Don't they make Elantra's in Alabama... I bought a Sonata last year that is made in Alabama... No way would I buy a UAW built car.....It used to be all I would buy. Don't blame me I wasn't the one than made car purchasing a political exercise

Corruptbuddha

Governor
It's not about 'where' they're assembled as much as it's about who owns them, who engineers them and who profits from them.

It's certainly not the US manufacturers.

fairsheet

Senator
It's not about 'where' they're assembled as much as it's about who owns them, who engineers them and who profits from them.

It's certainly not the US manufacturers.
You don't know this, C-B. Neither do I. We know that the "most American" car sold in America - based on both sourcing AND assembly, is the Toyota Camry. Several times now, I've posed the question as to which benefits our economy more (net net), the Camry or say...a Mexican assembled Fusion. No one has even ATTEMPTED to answer me this question. And....I think that's because no one knows!

fairsheet

Senator
Don't they make Elantra's in Alabama... I bought a Sonata last year that is made in Alabama... No way would I buy a UAW built car.....It used to be all I would buy. Don't blame me I wasn't the one than made car purchasing a political exercise
The Elantra is a "Consumer Reports" car, not a "Road & Track" car. I've been into cars my entire life. Throughout, I've compared and contrasted the way "Consumer Reports" considers each model, with the way the commercial "car mags" consider them.

Suffice to say - even as they're both perfectly valid - the two genres use different parameters. Oft-times, one loves a car and the other....not so much, and vice versa. On the rarer occasion, they BOTH like a car - and for sure, THAT'S the one to buy!

"Consumer Reports" likes the Elantra because it's relatively big and offers up "lots of stuff" for your dollar. The car mags pan the Elantra because in the words of one, "It feels llike it was hewn from a solid block of jello". The car mags prefer the Ford Focus and Mazda 3.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with choosing the Elantra. But, unless I was a middle-aged, female librarian, I'm not sure I'd be bragging about it.

The Elantra is a "Consumer Reports" car, not a "Road & Track" car. I've been into cars my entire life. Throughout, I've compared and contrasted the way "Consumer Reports" considers each model, with the way the commercial "car mags" consider them.

Suffice to say - even as they're both perfectly valid - the two genres use different parameters. Oft-times, one loves a car and the other....not so much, and vice versa. On the rarer occasion, they BOTH like a car - and for sure, THAT'S the one to buy!

"Consumer Reports" likes the Elantra because it's relatively big and offers up "lots of stuff" for your dollar. The car mags pan the Elantra because in the words of one, "It feels llike it was hewn from a solid block of jello". The car mags prefer the Ford Focus and Mazda 3.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with choosing the Elantra. But, unless I was a middle-aged, female librarian, I'm not sure I'd be bragging about it.
The Focus or the 3 do not bring anymore brag to the table than the Elantra and like you say the domestic percentage of a Corolla is higher than that of an F 150..

OldGaffer

Governor
There're a lot of reasons why I'm glad I'm not GOP. One of them is that I'd HATE to be in the position of having to shout down the resurgence of American auto manufacturing and bray in favor of the foreign marques.
That is exactly what they are doing, they hate American Labor so much they will cut off the countries nose to spite their faces.

Bo-4

Senator
That is exactly what they are doing, they hate American Labor so much they will cut off the countries nose to spite their faces.
Yep Gaffer, or like our pal NC they think it's better to buy a Ford Focus made in Mexico than a Hyundai made in Alabama simply because the profits stay here. They ignore the fact that those profits are minuscule in comparison to what the tens of thousands of jobs and peripheral jobs created in and around the plant do for our economy.

I call Bullshit on that... Its a pretty big stretch to say disliking an organization that is propped up by the American taxpayer and has given billions upon billions to support a contrasting opinion and refusing to support such an organization with your consumer dollars as hating American labor. How about telling it like it is, disagreeing with UAW politics, instead of your typical sleezy deceptive wordplay

Lapcat

Governor
And since you can provide no proof, facts or reality to support that asinine claim....

we'll just have to figure it's just YOUR 'more than just slightly biased' opinion.

Amazing how it is now more "patriotic" to buy cars from foreign manufacturers.

fairsheet

Senator
Oooh! That Range Rover is sharp/sleek! Looks like a sports/luxury SUV. I LIKE!

The Evoque IS something special. Although....so is it's pricetag! But, if you're in the market for an SUV in this price range AND you actually intend to take it off the highway now and again, the Evoque would be a pretty good way to go.