• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Changes in 2018

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. Some years I don't really go into a new year with specific goals. My only goal for 2017 was that it not be like 2016. That was for personal reasons which I don't really care to discuss here.

My goals for 2018 are to trim my personal spending(which I actually started doing last year),stop drinking energy drinks(which I actually stopped sometime in mid-December),read more books,force myself to get to work earlier consistently and to stop listening to Republican talk radio. So far,I have been successful in all of those endeavors and my life is better because of it. My general attitude is much improved too. If I fall short on any of those goals this year,I'll report back here and own it.

Another goal is to take my 80 year old mother to visit her 68 year old brother in Dothan,Alabama. My mother has middle stage dementia and her brother has early stage dementia. There may not be many opportunities left for them to spend time together. Shooting to make that trip next month or in March. My Civil War ancestor who served in the 40th Alabama Infantry is buried nearby in a cemetery in Covington County, Alabama. Wanna visit there too and pay my respects. That is a bucket list kinda thing.

I don't make New Year's Resolutions. Some years I don't really go into a new year with specific goals. My only goal for 2017 was that it not be like 2016. That was for personal reasons which I don't really care to discuss here.

My goals for 2018 are to trim my personal spending(which I actually started doing last year),stop drinking energy drinks(which I actually stopped sometime in mid-December),read more books,force myself to get to work earlier consistently and to stop listening to Republican talk radio. So far,I have been successful in all of those endeavors and my life is better because of it. My general attitude is much improved too. If I fall short on any of those goals this year,I'll report back here and own it.

Another goal is to take my 80 year old mother to visit her 68 year old brother in Dothan,Alabama. My mother has middle stage dementia and her brother has early stage dementia. There may not be many opportunities left for them to spend time together. Shooting to make that trip next month or in March. My Civil War ancestor who served in the 40th Alabama Infantry is buried nearby in a cemetery in Covington County, Alabama. Wanna visit there too and pay my respects. That is a bucket list kinda thing.
Admirable goals! Good luck on all fronts. I always separate my goals into three categories: physical, spiritual, and material.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Admirable goals! Good luck on all fronts. I always separate my goals into three categories: physical, spiritual, and material.
Thanks. About 15 years ago,I learned just how connected physical,mental and spiritual well-being are. Hard focus on one brings improvements in the others too. By the same token,neglecting one drags down the others.

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Senator

Those are worthy goals.

I always like the fresh start feel of the New Year but I don't give myself a list of specific goals then. I always strive to make each year better than the last. 2017 was a good year for us and I believe that 2018 will definitely be a better one.

I am by nature an organizer. I take chaos and line it all up and make it neat and clean. So that's a continuing goal...... of my life. It's who I am and so there's no change there.....it will continue.

My goal here on PJ is to lessen the strife with other posters not by becoming a doormat but at least by trying not to indulge heavily in personal attacks. I set this goal before the new year rolled in and I still have it. It's a slow process, and of course should I fail everyone will know it.

My goal in life is to learn how to age gracefully. It's a difficult process for me to go from giving all of my time, effort, and energy to my children to having an empty nest. So I have the goal of cutting the last of the apron strings and soaring. Not as easy as it sounds.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I am by nature an organizer. I take chaos and line it all up and make it neat and clean. So that's a continuing goal...... of my life. It's who I am and so there's no change there.....it will continue.
Me too. That's part of my professional training too. Besides,I can't find anything if I don't do that. :D I forgot to mention that one of my ongoing goals is to simplify my life too. Less stuff to organize or lose, mentally and materially.

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Senator
Me too. That's part of my professional training too. Besides,I can't find anything if I don't do that. :D I forgot to mention that one of my ongoing goals is to simplify my life too. Less stuff to organize or lose, mentally and materially.
I have simplified my life. That was easy.

We moved many times over great distances..........and each of our moves was very smooth = an executive apartment to land and live for a month while we bought a house in the new city, realtor lined up with criteria for the place we wanted, mail changed, change of season clothes for everyone. None of our moves were chaotic in any way.

Now all of that moving is done and we have been in this house long enough to acquire lots of junk. So now I am going through everything piece by piece and putting it into as few labeled containers as possible. It's possible we will do a downsize when hubs retires and I want everything to fit.

Organizing is easy, but it is time-consuming.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member

bdtex.......cancel anything you have and take MOM ASAP.........NOW.......I went through 2 years+ with MOM not knowing who even I was........middle stage today can be late stage tomorrow and it's the worse disease on Earth..........SO sorry you are having to experience this..........visited my Moms grave last week, 2 years since she passed, but, I know she is in a much better place now, dancing, laughing telling her jokes...........no pain.......

Take her tomorrow........or it may be to late.......if you don't, it may haunt you for the rest of your life.......as it does me......Mom was in what we thought 'middle stage" and ask me if I would take her back to our beach house.........sure, as soon as wheat harvest is over.....

Never got to Honor her wish.........

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!

Spend as much time with your mother as possible.
The other stuff can wait.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
bdtex.......cancel anything you have and take MOM ASAP.........NOW.......I went through 2 years+ with MOM not knowing who even I was........middle stage today can be late stage tomorrow and it's the worse disease on Earth..........SO sorry you are having to experience this..........visited my Moms grave last week, 2 years since she passed, but, I know she is in a much better place now, dancing, laughing telling her jokes...........no pain.......

Take her tomorrow........or it may be to late.......if you don't, it may haunt you for the rest of your life.......as it does me......Mom was in what we thought 'middle stage" and ask me if I would take her back to our beach house.........sure, as soon as wheat harvest is over.....

Never got to Honor her wish.........
I'm taking her this morning to have dental work done and she will probably have to go back again in 2-3 weeks. That is the reason for the delay.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

I hope you do that with your mother and her brother. It would be a wonderful thing for you to do. And while you are on the way to Alabama, be sure to listen to Right Wing talk radio. It's the only hope you have of ever extracting yourself from the evil of the Democrat cult.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
January is in the books and all those goals were met. Read 3 books in January and started a 4th. When I tallied up the number of books I read in 2017 and it turned out to be only 12 I was a little shocked. I know I bought more than 12 last year. :D

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I find myself having to work on being better at time management too. Big family,young grandkids,aging parents, hobbies and a big push for the last(hopefully) 3-5 years working make for a full day.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I find myself having to work on being better at time management too. Big family,young grandkids,aging parents, hobbies and a big push for the last(hopefully) 3-5 years working make for a full day.
it's hell and at times makes for some very long days and then days when it's impossible to get it all together and my kids grandkids are not close to home.......

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy

Good luck.

Hope the visit goes well.!!!!

SB

Barbella

Senator

“Little strokes fell great oaks.” –Benjamin Franklin

Step-by-step, 1% improvement per day, compounded 'interest'... in no time at all, you'll be perfect.

Or at least better than yesterday. :D;)

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Well...it's 2/20 and I've been maintaining the goals set for this year,but I'm still feeling out-of-whack,off-center etc. Time to make some other changes too. Not sure exactly what. Praying/meditating on that.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Major changes to my business shortly ahead in 2018. I'll be 60 in November and I sure hadn't anticipated nor really want this at this late stage of my career,but here it is. Just gonna have to grind it out,at probably a lower annual income,for at least the next 2.5 years. I think I've prepared myself for it pretty well though. And hey...it ain't terminal cancer either.

LeilaniMP

Empress

Very admirable goals, BD.

You'll have a great time with your Mom! Enjoy every moment she is still with you. Are you an only child? I lost my Mom in '91, sister in '01, and Dad in '08. I would give anything to have more time with them and treasure all of the memories of our times together.

I don't do resolutions, either, except to make things better than before.

This year I decided to be more "present" in life. I have cut back on being online, either by computer or phone. Texting, as well. Such a huge chunk of time was being wasted with nothing. It is so nice to be more connected with others.

On Tuesday, I attended the 6th funeral in the last 11 months. Three of those were for parents of friends, one for the sudden death of a friend's child, one for a friend from high school, and one for a friend who found out she was sick in January, and who passed two weeks later. Life is short. Way too short to be wasted on nonsense.

Wishing you success in all your endeavors.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have a great time with your Mom! Enjoy every moment she is still with you. Are you an only child?
I am the oldest of 3 children.
This year I decided to be more "present" in life. I have cut back on being online, either by computer or phone.
I have some improvement to do in that area. Phone activity has been brought into the family circle mostly though. I'm kinda okay with that.
On Tuesday, I attended the 6th funeral in the last 11 months. Three of those were for parents of friends, one for the sudden death of a friend's child, one for a friend from high school, and one for a friend who found out she was sick in January, and who passed two weeks later. Life is short. Way too short to be wasted on nonsense.
Yeah. Over the past few years,a number of longtime friends and acquaintances have passed on. No time to waste.
Wishing you success in all your endeavors.
Thank you much and to you as well.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
I am the oldest of 3 children.

I have some improvement to do in that area. Phone activity has been brought into the family circle mostly though. I'm kinda okay with that.

Yeah. Over the past few years,a number of longtime friends and acquaintances have passed on. No time to waste.

Thank you much and to you as well.
Bud, I hate to politize your thread of goodwill there is a point of observation that I noticed people from your side of the political spectrum have basically ignored your thread. Sad not even a post showing any interest or well wishing from them, just those from the right the deplorables