1. Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?
    Dismiss Notice

Changes in 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by bdtex, Dec 19, 2018.

1. MrMike

MrMike Behind every glory hole is Knight

I'm with you on soft drinks. I gave them up some time ago. I drink *gasp* unsweetened tea or water. Milk sometimes but not that often. Although it's a ways away, I doubt I will ever really retire as I like what I do and can moderate it up/down time-wise and travel to fit my lifestyle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JackDallas

JackDallas Senator Supporting Member

I wish you the best. It's hard to fully retire unless you are just filthy rich, which I am not. But I expect those who are well-off are involved in businesses and other enterprises from which they may not want to walk away. The extra time is can be a burden, I expect, unless you have enough money to travel, etc.
    I am semi-retired. I spend most of my time writing. I am a Master Electrician and I provide my license for a company that installs backup generators for residences and businesses. They pay me for the use of my license and that gives me an extra income stream. My books haven't made the NYT best sellers list yet but I make a little money from sales. When the company installs a generator, I have to be on the job to supervise, and I get paid for that. My wife and I both draw Social Security, and occasionally, I go do some electrical work for someone and make some extra cash.
    When you retire, just make sure you have something to occupy your time and your mind. Otherwise the boredom may take a toll on you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bdtex

bdtex Moderator Staff Member

That might be possible for me by the time I turn 62. We'll see. There would have to be a major restructuring of our business and I'm just not sure how possible that is between myself and my business partner.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bdtex

Roger that. Didja semi-retire with a pension/retirement from your employer or private retirement(IRA,401K,annuity etc.)?

5. JackDallas

JackDallas Senator Supporting Member

Private, plus the income streams that require little or no work.

6. Barbella

Barbella Senator

Retiring isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, IMO. The biggest problem is that people look forward to the day they can stop working, but in doing that, they forget to enjoy TODAY.

Never forget: TODAY is the best day of your life. Not yesterday, not tomorrow.

TODAY. I love today. I live for today.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Jen

Jen #walkaway

That's the best way to live.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bdtex

Yes ma'am. Getting a lot of enjoyment out of my todays this year so far. Don't enjoy my work as much as I used to but my family and hobby make up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoyI SouthernBoy

Good luck my man....

My wife and I are both retired. I turned 60 in December but they convinced me to stay on for awhile.... so I work 3 days a week unless I’m on a trip.

I’m really enjoying being semi-retired.

But I’m truly blessed and lucky bec I really do like the Disaster Recovery work.

But don’t be hesitant to retire the water is fine cmon in.

SB

• Like Like x 1
  10. bdtex

Thank you sir and I am happier than shiite for you and yours.

I am self-employed and ain't nobody gonna be asking me stay on. My business is not really the kind of business that can be sold. When it's time to hang it up,my business partner and I have to figure out a way to disengage and divide up what's left in a way that is fair to both of us. Coming up with a value of what is left might be kinda hard to determine. He'll be working longer than me too. He has a daughter that will be a freshman in college next year and a son who will be 12 in June. My business partner is 59 and doesn't live a simple life like me. He lives beyond his means.

Realistically,I have to work at least until I turn 62 in November 2020 and Social Security has nothing to do with that. It has to do with a potential financial liability that coincidentally ends in November 2020. So some of the changes in 2019 are finding ways to curb some spending in 2019 which I have done. Making more changes too and all of them will extend into 2020.

High-class challenges my friend. It's all good really.

11. SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoyI SouthernBoy

I’m rooting for ya....

SB

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1