• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Cheer Up

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Now I stand contradicted. A correction would require evidence, not just a contrary assertion. Do you have examples of similarly up-beat material from before the election? I recall you doing a lot of evangelical posts, where you just quoted some Bible language. However, more recently I've seen a lot of "cheer up," "reason for optimism," "something to be happy about," and assorted "good news" stories from you, including the kind of cheer-leading I never saw you do for upbeat economic news in the Obama years (e.g., regarding consumer confidence, job creation, the stock market, etc.) Did I just miss those, or did you only notice the positive trends once Trump was elected?
YOU made the NO CONTENT reply (SW needs remove that rule) it's your duty to prove it's changed, not Zam's_________________GO

Spamature

President
Now I stand contradicted. A correction would require evidence, not just a contrary assertion. Do you have examples of similarly up-beat material from before the election? I recall you doing a lot of evangelical posts, where you just quoted some Bible language. However, more recently I've seen a lot of "cheer up," "reason for optimism," "something to be happy about," and assorted "good news" stories from you, including the kind of cheer-leading I never saw you do for upbeat economic news in the Obama years (e.g., regarding consumer confidence, job creation, the stock market, etc.) Did I just miss those, or did you only notice the positive trends once Trump was elected?
These are dark times in Trumplandia . Give em a break.

YOU made the NO CONTENT reply (SW needs remove that rule) it's your duty to prove it's changed, not Zam's_________________GO
Quit your preaching and just snitch already.
Hahahaha !

Zam-Zam

Senator
OK. Stipulating that you felt great in the Obama years and continue to do so, that still leaves the marked change in your posting habits. In the Obama years, despite some really impressive runs of improvement for America, you had a nose for bad news, whereas now you announce each snippet of good news as if it were a huge break with the past.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6: 21

Since your treasure seems to lie with who wins and loses elections, it is perhaps not surprising this is where your mind went. My treasure lies elsewhere.

Believe whatever it is you feel you need to. Peace.

Arkady

President
Since your treasure seems to lie with who wins and loses elections
No, as I've pointed out repeatedly, that's not at all where "my treasure lies," even when it comes to the field of politics. That's a right-wing way of thinking -- right-wingers only seem to care about the political wins and losses -- bragging endlessly whenever their team is winning, even if the impact of that win in a significant worsening for the American people (see, for example, the Bush years, which were a great time to be a Republican, because of the score on the partisan scoreboard, but a time of nearly across-the-board decline for the people of America).

For me, politics isn't about who wins and loses elections. It's about moving forward with policies that actually improve the lives of the American people. If I could choose having Democrats win four out of five election cycles, but with a net result of worsening for America (for example, due to the magnitude of the back-slide in that fifth year), or having Republicans win four out of five election cycles, but with a net result of improvement for America (for example, due to the magnitude of improvement in that fifth year), I'd happily go with the latter. Politics isn't about having "bragging rights" from winning more elections. It's not like rooting for a sports team. It's about an effort to improve the lives of my fellow human beings. It's sad that almost nobody on the right is capable of thinking that way.

Arkady

President
Since your treasure seems to lie with who wins and loses elections
No, as I've pointed out repeatedly, that's not at all where "my treasure lies," even when it comes to the field of politics. That's a right-wing way of thinking -- right-wingers only seem to care about the political wins and losses -- bragging endlessly whenever their team is winning, even if the impact of that win in a significant worsening for the American people (see, for example, the Bush years, which were a great time to be a Republican, because of the score on the partisan scoreboard, but a time of nearly across-the-board decline for the people of America).

For me, politics isn't about who wins and loses elections. It's about moving forward with policies that actually improve the lives of the American people. If I could choose having Democrats win four out of five election cycles, but with a net result of worsening for America (for example, due to the magnitude of the back-slide in that fifth year), or having Republicans win four out of five election cycles, but with a net result of improvement for America (for example, due to the magnitude of improvement in that fifth year), I'd happily go with the latter. Politics isn't about having "bragging rights" from winning more elections. It's not like rooting for a sports team. It's about an effort to improve the lives of my fellow human beings. It's sad that almost nobody on the right is capable of thinking that way.

Zam-Zam

Senator

Perhaps I should rephrase:

Your treasure lies with your political agenda being advanced.

As for your assessment of "right-wingers", I suppose that's the sad little bigotry you're happy to embrace. It's your way of telling yourself that you're better, somehow, than "those people". If you think that's what you need, so be it - It does harm to no one except for yourself.

Arkady

President
Perhaps I should rephrase:

Your treasure lies with your political agenda being advanced.
You have it completely backwards. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to embrace a particular political agenda for no particular reason. Nor did I receive my political agenda as part of a package of superstitions in church, as is so common in the US. Nor was I handed my political beliefs by an authority figure I couldn't bring myself to question. Instead, I came to my policy preferences gradually by way of observations of history and current events. The reason I support what I do is because I believe that's the path that is most likely to lead to the greatest improvement for the greatest number of people. That's where my treasure lies. If I had the choice between losing every political fight, but with fantastic results for my fellow humans, or winning every fight, but with poor results, I'd prefer the losing. It's just that --as you're very well aware-- things actually tend to go well when the policies I favor are pursued, and poorly when they aren't.

It's your way of telling yourself that you're better, somehow, than "those people".
I'm an honest person, and so I won't pretend my political views aren't better than yours. Of course I believe they are. If I didn't think that, I'd toss away my views and adopt yours. I know it hurts your feelings that I regard your beliefs as inferior, but.... tough. It's not my job to shelter your delicate sensibilities from the truth. I'd only be helping your self-harm if I cooperated in helping you to avoid knowledge.

Zam-Zam

Senator
You have it completely backwards. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to embrace a particular political agenda for no particular reason. Nor did I receive my political agenda as part of a package of superstitions in church, as is so common in the US. Nor was I handed my political beliefs by an authority figure I couldn't bring myself to question. Instead, I came to my policy preferences gradually by way of observations of history and current events. The reason I support what I do is because I believe that's the path that is most likely to lead to the greatest improvement for the greatest number of people. That's where my treasure lies. If I had the choice between losing every political fight, but with fantastic results for my fellow humans, or winning every fight, but with poor results, I'd prefer the losing. It's just that --as you're very well aware-- things actually tend to go well when the policies I favor are pursued, and poorly when they aren't.

I'm an honest person, and so I won't pretend my political views aren't better than yours. Of course I believe they are. If I didn't think that, I'd toss away my views and adopt yours. I know it hurts your feelings that I regard your beliefs as inferior, but.... tough. It's not my job to shelter your delicate sensibilities from the truth. I'd only be helping your self-harm if I cooperated in helping you to avoid knowledge.

I must admit, few would defend their own bigotry with as much fervor as you have here. Unfortunately, this is not a healthy indicator, and points to some underlying issue that may be beyond the scope of this forum. Delusions such as those you possess preclude rational discourse, and so it is perhaps best that I leave you be until you are able to deal with your demons. I will pray for your recovery. Pax Vobiscum.

Last edited:

Arkady

President
I must admit, few would defend their own bigotry with as much fervor as you have here Unfortunately, this is not a healthy indicator, and points to some underlying issue that may be beyond the scope of this forum. Delusions such as those you possess preclude rational discourse, and so it is perhaps best that I leave you be until you are able to deal with your demons. I will pray for your recovery. Pax Vobiscum.
Do you not see the bigotry of assuming someone who disagrees with you must be suffering with demons? Tend to that plank in your eye.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Do you not see the bigotry of assuming someone who disagrees with you must be suffering with demons? Tend to that plank in your eye.
Disagreement is fine, in fact, expected.

Declaring yourself a superior person to those who disagree with you is likely an indicator of a larger issue.

Don't fret about hurting my feelings, you were born without the ability to do that.

I sincerely hope you can find your way back to humanity. I'll pray for you. Be well.

C

Capitalist

Your assertion, your burden of proof.

Do you have any pre-election examples of down beat, down trodden posts from Zam? I find his evangelical stuff up-beat. Only Satan wouldn't think so.

Oh. I see.

C

Capitalist

OK. Stipulating that you felt great in the Obama years and continue to do so, that still leaves the marked change in your posting habits. In the Obama years, despite some really impressive runs of improvement for America, you had a nose for bad news, whereas now you announce each snippet of good news as if it were a huge break with the past.
Good gravy, you are boring!

C

Capitalist

Instead, I came to my policy preferences gradually by way of observations of history and current events. The reason I support what I do is because I believe that's the path that is most likely to lead to the greatest improvement for the greatest number of people. That's where my treasure lies.
Yes. A true Utilitarian. Spoken like a real genocidal maniac. Y'know, nuclear genocide would produce a tiny bit of pain for a large number of victims but reap huge pleasure for the more numerous survivors since there would be more food and jobs for them.

Logical genocide. Just like Germany 1942.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Yes. A true Utilitarian. Spoken like a real genocidal maniac. Y'know, nuclear genocide would produce a tiny bit of pain for a large number of victims but reap huge pleasure for the more numerous survivors since there would be more food and jobs for them.

Logical genocide. Just like Germany 1942.
Perhaps we shouldn't pick on him too much - He may be a troubled individual.

Barbella

Senator
Or... buy new and drive for a long time. I've had my car 10 years. My wife has had her car over 14 years.
We have a 2004 Ford F-250 heavy duty gas truck with 353,000 miles on it. Still runs great, gave it to my grandson to use when he doesn't want to use his 196o-something Firebird. :):D

Arkady

President
Disagreement is fine, in fact, expected.

Declaring yourself a superior person to those who disagree with you is likely an indicator of a larger issue.
Yet, aren't you actually more guilty of that than me? You've asserted that I'm suffering with demons, and you've tried to attributed my beliefs to personality defects on my part. By comparison, I've merely asserted that I have better political ideas than you. Again, wouldn't it make sense for you to tend to that huge plank in your eye before worrying about the speck in mine?

Last edited:

Arkady

President
Your assertion, your burden of proof.
It doesn't work that way when the question is the absence of something. Proving the non-existence of such posts isn't something I could do without calling up every single post he's ever made and walking people through them. By comparison, proving the existence of such posts is something he can do simply by linking to them. That he appears unable to do so invites the obvious conclusion.