• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Christmas All Over Again :)

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
There are so many non traditional Christmas songs, it's an ironic shame broadcasters are so narrow...:cool:

James Brown

Santa Claus, Go Straight To The Ghetto

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Joni Mitchell ~ River Live
There are so many non traditional Christmas songs, it's an ironic shame broadcasters are so narrow...:cool:
Yep... I have to agree. The broadcasters should show more versatility in their offerings. The listeners are a varied bunch -- the music should be as well. Stuck in a rut, maybe... as we listen to the same old traditional music. Still, many of the oldies remain as some of my favorites. :)

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Joni Mitchell ~ River Live

Yep... I have to agree. The broadcasters should show more versatility in their offerings. The listeners are a varied bunch -- the music should be as well. Stuck in a rut, maybe... as we listen to the same old traditional music. Still, many of the oldies remain as some of my favorites. :)
Love that one. Joni is getting better, I hear. Life is short...

I believe we speak of this every year...:cool:

As a rule, I despise most of the Christmas music. Rut, indeed. It's the same few songs, on repeat, for a month at a time. For a music lover, it's tough. There are a couple of classics I like, but they are few and far between. We Three Kings, Good King Wenceslas...

I do have a spot in my grinchy old heart for the novelty songs as well, as Robert Earl's above...

Dar Williams...

The Christians and the Pagans...

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Love that one. Joni is getting better, I hear. Life is short...

I believe we speak of this every year...:cool:

As a rule, I despise most of the Christmas music. Rut, indeed. It's the same few songs, on repeat, for a month at a time. For a music lover, it's tough. There are a couple of classics I like, but they are few and far between. We Three Kings, Good King Wenceslas...

I do have a spot in my grinchy old heart for the novelty songs as well, as Robert Earl's above...

Dar Williams...

The Christians and the Pagans...
There's another version by Joni that's better than the one I posted. Gone too soon...
I remember you posting that video last year and maybe the year before. :cool: It grows on you and has lots truths in its message/lyrics. I enjoyed it, thanks.

I am guilty of posting this video above every year... :D

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Tom Petty Christmas All Over Again With Lyrics
Watched a fun documentary last night..."Jingle Bell Rocks".

http://jinglebellrocks.com

It follows the story of a man obsessed with strange and unusual Christmas music.

Oddities include Miles Davis' Blue Xmas...penned by Bob Dourough...who wrote Schoolhouse Rocks' 3 is a Magic Number.

And Nat King Cole's tearjerker...The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot...

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Why do they say "there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas"? Have these morons never heard of Mount Kilimanjaro?
Who knows why for sure... I was thinking -- the lines (re: snow) were more for capturing the mood/sad/hard times those people were enduring and not actually referring to the weather/snow.

In 1984, Band Aid released the immortal Christmas song "Do They Know It's Christmas?" in response to the 1983 - 1985 famine in Ethiopia. The song included the lyric "...there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time", and indeed, the thought of snowflakes falling on Africa's arid deserts and drought-stricken savannahs seems unlikely.
Record Snowfall Events
However, Bob Geldof and friends weren't entirely accurate in their depiction of a snow-deprived Africa, because although snow is a foreign concept to much of the continent, it occurs (either regularly or as a rare phenomenon) in several of Africa's 54 countries. In 1979, snow even fell in low-altitude regions of the Sahara Desert - albeit only for half an hour.
http://goafrica.about.com/od/africatraveltips/a/Does-It-Snow-In-Africa.htm