• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Civil War Connecticut

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Bored with politics today and couldn't think of a better title for the thread. Visited Connecticut for the first time in June. It was a gathering of friends in New London,CT from a Friday afternoon-Sunday noon. I flew into Hartford on a Thursday,rented a car and drove to New London which is about an hour away. Flew home on Monday. Set aside Friday and Sunday afternoon for some Civil War sightseeing. No battlefields in CT obviously but plenty of stuff to see and do. Did some research before the trip. There were a coupla museums in between Hartford and New London but they weren't open on the days/times I had set aside. One of the places I already knew about was the state capitol building in Hartford. That was my first destination on Friday morning. Beautiful building,inside and outside. Parking is an issue in Hartford. There is a visitor's parking garage for the government district. The CT Supreme Court and Legislature buildings are right there also. If you can't find the parking garage,stop a policeman and ask him/her. That's what I had to do.

2017-06-23 08.12.56.jpg

2017-06-23 08.13.38.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Monument called the Petersburg Express to the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery on the grounds at the State Capitol. It's not a replica. The plaques could use a little TLC.

2017-06-23 08.14.35.jpg

2017-06-23 08.15.12.jpg

2017-06-23 08.15.18.jpg

2017-06-23 08.16.03.jpg

2017-06-23 08.16.33.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
This is a monument on the capitol grounds called Andersonville Boy. From what I understand,2 of them were commissioned by the Connecticut State Legislature in 1907 and one of them is at Andersonville:

2017-06-23 08.23.53.jpg

2017-06-23 08.23.13.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
This thread got sidetracked for awhile.The primary reason I wanted to visit the State Capitol is what is inside which I knew about before scheduling my trip to Connecticut. It's called the Hall of Flags. It is a display of many Connecticut Civil War Regimental Flags and flagstaffs. The flags are furled and they're big. No wonder so many CW Color-Bearers were killed or captured. They were well marked targets. As you enter the visitor's entrance at the state capitol,the Hall Of Flags is directly to your left and right. All but one of the display cases are vertical display cases. The left side,going in,is all Civil War flags. The other side has some CW flags and flags from other wars. Views from the 2nd floor facing the visitor's entrance:

2017-06-23 09.02.53.jpg

2017-06-23 09.03.22.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
1st Connecticut Volunteer Cavalry,in a vertical display case by itself:

2017-06-23 08.28.40.jpg

2017-06-23 08.28.48.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
At the base of each flag or flagstaff was a small sign identifying the regiment and a picture of the flag unfurled. Just gonna post a few samples,not all of them. Hard to get good pics of artifacts behind glass anyway.

2017-06-23 08.52.10.jpg

2017-06-23 08.56.58.jpg

2017-06-23 08.54.03.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
This regimental camp marker flag was in a horizontal display case. Had to adjust the camera angle for glare:

2017-06-23 08.32.30.jpg

2017-06-23 08.32.49.jpg

2017-06-23 08.34.00.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Inside the state capitol is a monument called the Forlorn Soldier. It was located at another site for many years where it was vandalized and deteriorated due to exposure to the elements. It was moved to preserve what's left of it. Doesn't look like it can be restored. At this link is a description of it:

https://chs.org/finding_aides/ransom/044.htm

2017-06-23 08.37.09.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The next stop was Barry Square in Connecticut. There is a monument to Gen. Griffin A. Stedman for whom Fort Stedman at Petersburg,VA was named. He was a native of Hartford,Connecticut. He was the Colonel of the 11th CT Volunteer Infantry when he was mortally wounded at Petersburg but was promoted to General before he died. The monument is on a mound above street level.

2017-06-23 09.56.39.jpg

2017-06-23 09.57.07.jpg

2017-06-23 09.57.38.jpg

2017-06-23 09.58.07.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The next stop was Cedar Hill Cemetery in Hartford where Gen. Stedman is buried. It is an old,large,beautiful and well-kept cemetery. I drove through quite a bit of it looking for Gen. Stedman's grave. I knew what his monument looked like and I was real close to it when I finally stopped and asked a cemetery groundskeeper where it was.

2017-06-23 10.19.25.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The final stop in Hartford was the Weld Monument at Old North Cemetery.

"WELD MONUMENT, Old North Cemetery, Hartford, is significant historically because of its relationship to black troops in the Union forces during the Civil War. After much controversy, the War Department on May 22, 1863, established the Bureau of Colored Troops which, among its other duties, commissioned officers, almost all white, to command the troops. The 41st Colored Infantry, Lewis Ledyard Weld's regiment, was organized in the fall of 1864, with men from Pennsylvania, and was mustered out December 10, 1865. Fourteen states raised volunteer units that eventually were transferred to U.S. status, as was the case with the 41st. Three states retained their state designations; Connecticut was one of the three. The number of enlisted men who served in U.S. Colored Troops was 178,975; 9,695 served in the navy.

Lewis Ledyard Weld was born in Hartford on May 13, 1833, to a distinguished New England family. A forebear was a member of the Harvard class of 1650. After graduating from Yale in 1854, Weld went west. He was Acting Governor of Colorado for four months in early 1862. When he returned to the East in 1863, Weld was appointed Captain in the 7th Regiment, U.S. Troops, transferring to the 41st in October 1864, at the time it was formed. Early in 1865 he caught a severe cold which did not yield to treatment, leading to his death January 10, 1865, at Point of Rocks on the Appomattox River. His body was returned to Hartford and the monument raised by "EARLY FRIENDS" as noted by the lettering in the base.

Charles Theodore Weld (1831-1863) was a brother of Lewis Ledyard Weld. Charles enlisted from Hartford on April 18, 1861, becoming a first lieutenant in the 17th U.S. Infantry when he was mustered in on May 14, 1861. He died, with the brevet rank of captain, from wounds received at the battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, on May 14, 1863."

https://chs.org/finding_aides/ransom/050.htm

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Old North Cemetery is not as well kept as Cedar Hill Cemetery. I was hungry and out of time for sightseeing or I would've walked and driven it more anyway. The Weld Monument was easy to find. In the second pic,the first tree on the left partially obscures the monument.

2017-06-23 11.12.24.jpg

2017-06-23 11.12.33.jpg

2017-06-23 11.13.27.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
After the gathering of friends ended I had a few hours before I needed to be back in Hartford. I decided to do some CW sightseeing in New London. First stop was Cedar Grove Cemetery,another old and beautiful cemetery. The first item of interest is what is known as the Comrades Monument. Took lots of pics of it. It is flanked by 2 rows of Union veteran graves.

2017-06-25 12.02.03.jpg

2017-06-25 11.26.20.jpg

2017-06-25 11.27.25.jpg

2017-06-25 11.30.50.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The other item of interest at Cedar Grove Cemetery was the gravesite of Confederate Major-General Gustavus W. Smith. My source website said it was on the western side of the cemetery in the Bassett family plot and described the obelisk family monument you see partially in the 2nd pic. That made it a bit easier to find but it was a tedious search nonetheless.

2017-06-25 11.52.11.jpg

2017-06-25 11.53.34.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Next stop was a monument to the 21st Regiment CT Volunteer Infantry at Williams Memorial Park in New London.

"21ST REGT. CONN. VOL., Williams Park, New London, is one of several Civil War monuments throughout the state erected by the State of Connecticut, rather than a local group, often the Grand Army of the Republic post. Circumstances explaining the state's initiative in this matter are unknown. A cryptic newspaper clipping states that the monument first was intended for Willimantic. How it happened that the monument intended for Willimantic came to New London is not stated.

The Dedication Day program is dated October 20, 1898, not September 5, 1898, the date of erection recorded by lettering on the monument. Explanation for the discrepancy is not known. Dedication Day addresses were delivered by Lorrin A. Cooke, governor of the State of Connecticut, and by General Joseph R. Hawley, a Civil War hero who became publisher of The Hartford Courant and United States senator, and who was a frequent speaker at Civil War monument dedications.

New London joined several other of Connecticut's larger cities in having more than one Civil War monument. Others in the group include Bridgeport, Hartford, Middletown, New Haven, and Winsted in Winchester."

https://chs.org/finding_aides/ransom/083.htm

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The monument is kinda difficult to photograph. Had to do a little landscaping. Some of the inscription at the base was obscured. The names of the significant battles the regiment fought in are inscribed on the monument.

2017-06-25 12.19.56.jpg

2017-06-25 12.20.09.jpg

2017-06-25 12.21.48.jpg

2017-06-25 12.21.24.jpg

2017-06-25 12.21.48.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The final CW sightseeing stop on my trip to Connecticut was the Soldiers And Sailors Monument in New London. It is huge. Quite frankly it was the wrong time of day and probably the wrong time of year to get good pictures of it. I did the best I could with what I had to work with. There were a coupla guys sitting on the base of it on the shady side which kinda limited my photo opps. They looked like they might be a bit on the shady side too so I worked around them as best I could. :)

2017-06-25 12.38.55.jpg

2017-06-25 12.38.33.jpg

2017-06-25 12.36.24.jpg

2017-06-25 12.37.24.jpg

EatTheRich

President
I apologize if I'm stepping on your toes with the subject change here, but since you are interested in Civil War history I thought you might appreciate this. My state, Montana, is another place you wouldn't expect to find much Civil War/Reconstruction history but there are a few interesting connections I know of:

1. Draft evaders often made their way to Montana where they were beyond the reach of the law.
2. Some Union commanders also allowed defeated Confederate units amnesty if they agreed to go to Montana (beyond the war).
3. The war coincided with the Montana gold rush, and the three-way political struggle among Northern Democrats, Southern Democrats, and Republicans initially related to the question whether gold would be sold in the North or the South.
4. Bannack (SW of Butte) and Virginia City (SE of Butte) were the first major gold finds, in 1863. Virginia City was originally named "Verina (sic)" after Confederate first lady Varina Davis, but the name was changed by a "Yankee" judge.
5. Bannack was initially dominated by Northern Democrats and Virginia City by Southern Democrats; the elected sheriff of Bannack, Henry Plummer, was accused of organizing a bandit gang, the Innocents, that robbed Virginia City stagecoaches and killed an estimated 105 people. The Southern Democrats of Virginia City, including John Bozeman for whom Bozeman is named, organized a Vigilance Committee that lynched roughly 30 individuals, including Plummer and political allies, petty criminals, and Chicanos.
6. Montana Territory was separated from Idaho Territory in 1864 and Hezekiah Hosmer was appointed chief justice by Republican president Lincoln. Hosmer offered amnesty to the vigilantes but put an end to the lynchings.
7. Last Chance Gulch, which became Helena, was the site of a major gold find in 1864 by the "4 Georgians" (only 1 of whom was from Georgia), Southern Democrats.
8. Confederate Gulch (NE. of Helena) was founded in 1864 by Confederate parolees. It did not produce much gold during the war, but struck it rich in 1866 and for a short time became the largest community in Montana Territory. (It was later passed by Bannack, which in the 1870s was the largest community between Minneapolis and San Francisco.)
9. Unionville, S. of Helena, was also founded in 1864 by gold miners with northern sympathies.
10. Thomas Francis Meagher, a Union veteran of campaigns including 1st Bull Run, the Peninsula Campaign, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville, and a registered Democrat, was appointed territorial governor by President Johnson in 1865. His attempts to enforce the decisions of the unpopular Republican-led judiciary led to a backlash in which 15 people, mostly Irish-Americans like Meagher (also a veteran of the Young Ireland rebellion against British rule), were lynched near Helena by the Virginia City vigilantes over the next 5 years. Meanwhile a Black Republican was lynched by an Irish-American Northern Democrat in 1867, following a disputed election.
11. In 1872, the Democratic legislature passed a law requiring racial segregation in schools; it was struck down by the Republican-dominated state Supreme Court in 1883.
12. In 1873, with the Democratic Party still deeply divided between northern and southern wings and discredited by Ku Kluxery, a Black Republican, E.T. Johnson, was elected mayor of Helena. His home and barbershop were burned down by vigilantes in 1874.
13. Several of the Indian War fighters (fighting the Sioux and Cheyenne) in Montana were Civil War veterans, including Generals George Crook (Northern Virginia Campaign, Antietam, Chickamauga), George Custer (1st Bull Run, Peninsula Campaign, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Battle of the Wilderness), and O. O. Howard (1st Bull Run, Seven Pines, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and campaigns for Chattanooga, Atlanta, Savanah, and Carolinas; also director of the Freedman's Bureau). Many of the units in Montana, especially those guarding forts, were (except for their white commanders) all-Black and mostly from the South.
14. The United Daughters of the Confederacy erected a monument in Helena to the (nonexistent) Confederate soldiers in 1916, following the screening of the pro-Klan film Birth of a Nation; it was removed by the City Commission following a protest by the state legislature's Native American caucus in 2017.
15. The Vigilante Day parade, an annual tradition glorifying the Vigilantes, began in 1924 and continues to this day in Helena.

Last edited: