• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Coffee

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I love my coffee.. just very ordinary in my simple tastes.. I drink Maxwell House Lite made in a MR. COFFEE..

Last edited:

NightSwimmer

Senator
I love my coffee.. just very ordinary in my simple tastes.. I drink Maxwell House Lite made in a MR. COFFEE..

Yeah. I like coffee, but I'm not a snob about it.

I know some folks who'll only buy expensive whole bean coffee and then hand grind it in small batches so that they can press it in a Bodum. I don't have time for that sort of ritual just to enjoy a cuppa Joe.

Jen

Senator
Real irony here!

Just went in to unplug my 35 year old Perc. I switch from the fancy to the old for a change.

I started to unplug the pot,it slipped,spilled coffee,coffee grounds all over the counter,the dishwasher,cabinets and floor!

Not sure how I missed the wall and ceiling! :) Did you ever try to gather up coffee grounds? Back to the cabinet for you,old pot!
Oh yes. Coffee grounds are not easy to gather at all. But those old percolaters do make some mighty fine coffee. Even so, I've gotten spoiled by my Keurig.

Jen

Senator
I'm with you on that flavored java bro. No thx. I drink my coffee black. If I wanted cream and sugar,I'd get a milkshake. Ida made a good Italian or Cajun.
I don't get flavored coffees. I add the flavoring and I like basic flavors there (french vanilla/ irish cream). I don't do mint or pumpkin pie or cinnamon roll coffees. And mocha is too chocolaty (though I love chocolate). However at Starbucks I do get the white chocolate latte. White chocolate isn't at all overpowering.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Oh yes. Coffee grounds are not easy to gather at all. But those old percolaters do make some mighty fine coffee. Even so, I've gotten spoiled by my Keurig.
One of my daughters has a Keurig and she loves it. We have a percolator pot stored with our camping equipment. We used to use it when we'd take our Girl Scout troop camping. We have a little tripod grill hanger that holds it over the camp fire. Been a while since I've had those s'mores & coffee.

A Keurig is a good coffee maker for one coffee drinker. I am usually the only one that drinks coffee during the week here, and a Keurig is no-clean, brews right into the cup and if you have 4 cups in a row, it's quick and efficient for that. Not trying to do a commercial here but I do love my Keurig.

I use a Keurig but I have one of those little cartridges that you can use your own coffee in. I have heard those prepackaged cups are becoming quite an environmental issue. We used to use a little 4 cup brewer with a reusable filter basket we bought at Walgreens for 10 bucks but the pot broke

MaryAnne

Governor
I use a Keurig but I have one of those little cartridges that you can use your own coffee in. I have heard those prepackaged cups are becoming quite an environmental issue. We used to use a little 4 cup brewer with a reusable filter basket we bought at Walgreens for 10 bucks but the pot broke
Not to mention they make your coffee very expensive. I had about 7 or 8 coffee makers,trying to find one that keeps coffee hot and fresh.

Hamilton Beach,the one you press a button to get your coffee works for me. One of the cheapest..

Not to mention they make your coffee very expensive. I had about 7 or 8 coffee makers,trying to find one that keeps coffee hot and fresh.

Hamilton Beach,the one you press a button to get your coffee works for me. One of the cheapest..

Yep it's about 80¢ a cup using the Keurig cups as opposed to 20¢ or less using your own $4.00 bag of 8 O'Clock whole beans

MaryAnne

Governor
OK,I have been checking out the Keurig on Amazon. It has a water filter. That may be my problem.Since I drink my water from the Fridge, I know our water does not taste good so will check them out.

And, Amazon has a set of the refillable cups for $9.95. Then I will also buy beans.

Thanks for all the ideas.:)

TaiPan

Council Member
OK,I have been checking out the Keurig on Amazon. It has a water filter. That may be my problem.Since I drink my water from the Fridge, I know our water does not taste good so will check them out.

And, Amazon has a set of the refillable cups for $9.95. Then I will also buy beans.

Thanks for all the ideas.:)
First always use a natural paper filter, then here's something a lot cheaper and works quite well for both perc and auto drip. 5 minutes after the coffee has completed brewing, take the grounds out of the machine. You will be surprised how much acid will not get into your pot after the brewing cycle is completed. Also, like tea, coffee should be brewed in an absolutely clean environment. At least weekly and better daily, scrub the pot and the take 1 teaspoon of bleach and fill the pot with hot water let stand for 1/2 hour and then rinse completely. Lastly run clean water with 1 tbsp of white vinegar through the pot weekly to cleanse your auto drip. It will make a big difference in the efficiency of your pot.

As we cajuns learned a long time ago, a clean pot makes the best coffee, not the most expensive one.

Have a great Day MA

Tai Pan

MaryAnne

Governor
First always use a natural paper filter, then here's something a lot cheaper and works quite well for both perc and auto drip. 5 minutes after the coffee has completed brewing, take the grounds out of the machine. You will be surprised how much acid will not get into your pot after the brewing cycle is completed. Also, like tea, coffee should be brewed in an absolutely clean environment. At least weekly and better daily, scrub the pot and the take 1 teaspoon of bleach and fill the pot with hot water let stand for 1/2 hour and then rinse completely. Lastly run clean water with 1 tbsp of white vinegar through the pot weekly to cleanse your auto drip. It will make a big difference in the efficiency of your pot.

As we cajuns learned a long time ago, a clean pot makes the best coffee, not the most expensive one.

Have a great Day MA

Tai Pan

I just went to Kroger, bought 8O'Clock coffee beans, spring water. They had natural filters on sale,so bought them. Came home ,ran vinegar through both the Perc and Coffee maker cycle, took them apart,scoured every inch,rinsed. Ground my beans and made a pot. Drank 3 cups and am now heading out to paint. That should hold me for a while.

I thought you would give me the secret to the Du Monde coffee,Tai!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=beignets in new orleans french quarter&form=APIPA1

Last edited:

TaiPan

Council Member
I just went to Kroger, bought 8O'Clock coffee beans, spring water. They had natural filters on sale,so bought them. Came home ,ran vinegar through both the Percent and Coffee maker cycle, took them apart,scoured every inch,rinsed. Ground my beans and made a pot. Drank 3 cups and am now heading out to paint. That should hold me for a while.

I thought you would give me the secret to the Du Monde coffee,Tai!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=beignets in new orleans french quarter&form=APIPA1

CDM is actually considered a rather cheap coffee. The beans are a mixed lot and the unique bitter flavor comes from the chicory whose roots are roasted, ground, then blended with the ground roasted beans. Coffee with chicory is rather a regional taste and didn't really migrate well. Many people upon first tasting it will frankly spit it back in the cup. Personally I don't care for it although I grew up with it. Give me a good cup of Community Hotel Blend or Chase & Sanborn any day. The secret to the French Market or Cafe Du Monde coffee that is served with beignets is not really a secret at all, its simply scalded milk mixed with sugar then added to the coffee..

Glad I could help, and from what I read apparently the coffee you made was a success..

Tai Pan

MaryAnne

Governor
Yes it was! I think the reason is because in the early days we did not have much money,8 O'Clock was cheap,and you ground it in the store was the reason.

There were times when you added to the old grounds a spoon full of fresh grounds for the next pot! :)

Now,I know many will not admit that,but when your kids need things and money is tight,you stretch.

5 Lbs of ground beef for a buck would stretch until next pay day with a small roast.

TaiPan

Council Member
Boy don't you know it. Back in the late 70's early 80's I used to buy whole pork loins for 59-79 cents a lb and have them cut different ways and we'd have meat for 3 months ! A lot of fish went in there to, caught, not bought, not to forget those lovely 10# bags of chicken leg quarters at 19 cents a pound. What happened to the good old days ?

TaiPan

Yes it was! I think the reason is because in the early days we did not have much money,8 O'Clock was cheap,and you ground it in the store was the reason.

There were times when you added to the old grounds a spoon full of fresh grounds for the next pot! :)

Now,I know many will not admit that,but when your kids need things and money is tight,you stretch.

5 Lbs of ground beef for a buck would stretch until next pay day with a small roast.

I have read some blind tasters test results and even though it doesn't have the premium price 8 O'Clock ranked up there with the 8 and 12 dollar coffees.

Are there any A&P's in your area?

MaryAnne

Governor
I have read some blind tasters test results and even though it doesn't have the premium price 8 O'Clock ranked up there with the 8 and 12 dollar coffees.

Are there any A&P's in your area?
Not any more,but that is where we used to buy the coffee! That is why I was surprised to see it at Krogers. A&P was the big store back then. Rogers and Meijers have run my favorite FoodTown out of business.BTW, on sale for $5.49 for 11 ounces.

Not any more,but that is where we used to buy the coffee! That is why I was surprised to see it at Krogers. A&P was the big store back then. Rogers and Meijers have run my favorite FoodTown out of business.BTW, on sale for $5.49 for 11 ounces.
8 O'Clock was the store brand coffee for A & P several years back they sold it off to an investor who started marketing it in any store that would give him shelf space. I am glad they did it takes me back to being a little kid and smelling the coffee as my mom ground the beans in the store grinder. And it is good but it needs to be made kind of strong.

I understand A&P still exists in the Pennsylvania area but just about nowhere else