• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Computer Problems

MaryAnne

Governor
For those who are having problems, I installed the new version of Internet Explorer and my computer is working like a dream.

I know I was using an outdated version,but ignored it.

I have XP,you have to intsall the one that fits your computer.

For the smart alec computer experts,do not read:eek:)

NinaS

Senator
Supporting Member
when mine kept getting error message and closing the window I installed the newest version...not sure which one it is. Works fine now. Bo swears by his Mac. I have heard they're great as they don't get virus'. Wonder why that is?

NightSwimmer

Senator
Bo swears by his Mac. I have heard they're great as they don't get virus'. Wonder why that is?
Not enough market share. Linux is an even better choice if you want to use an OS for which few hackers bother to write mal-ware. Apple isn't an option for me at work, because I use too much software (and hardware) that won't run on a Mac.

Want a better browser? Try Opera.

lilly

Council Member
I agree once I installed ie 8, everything worked like a charm. You can't download ie9 with windows xp though.

MaryAnne

Governor
when mine kept getting error message and closing the window I installed the newest version...not sure which one it is. Works fine now. Bo swears by his Mac. I have heard they're great as they don't get virus'. Wonder why that is?
I have heard just the opposite on Mac. One lady on this board could not make a paragraph at all until someone told her about the html. She had to use it at the end of every paragraph. It may be the amount of your expertise. I do not have much,but am learning:eek:)

I am very happy with IE for what I use it for. They even put my google tool bar back.

Viruses are caused by not having the right security.I have not had one problem since the computer guy installed it. He told me,"You get what you pay for" and Zone is not expensive. If you have more computers just make sure you get the CD. My Son installed it on my notebook. But he went through what was on my computer.I save the CD for back up. Just in case,although I doubt I will ever need it.
My computer is so different it is hard to explain.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I agree once I installed ie 8, everything worked like a charm. You can't download ie9 with windows xp though.
I have no choice but to use the Microsoft OS. That said, MS has quite obviously engaged in planned obsolescence in their software products for several years now. It's their only available strategy for maintaining sales volume. That is why newer versions of Microsoft Office create files that can't be opened by older versions of the software -- unless you convert the files, free of charge, on an independent website.

If you're using a Microsoft OS and IE, then you should always use the newest version of the browser that is available. Upgrading can also relieve you of some of the more sinister BHO's (No... Not the President -- Browser Helper Objects) that you may have accumulated while surfing with the older version.

In general, I would recommend avoiding third party "toolbars", weather bugs and such. They aren't offered to enhance your browsing experience. They are offered by these third-party vendors as a means to abuse naive web surfers. Most folks voluntarily install mal-ware on their computers when they agree to accept these "free" apps.

MaryAnne

Governor

Has to be Vista. That came out right after I bought mine, but they had all kinds of problems.

Glad yours is working fine. I hope Cotton sees this.

lilly

Council Member
So true Night Swimmer, pretty much what my Son has told me. Yes, I found out the hard way about four years ago about third party toolbars and it was the 'weather one' They are to be ignored.

With every problem you run into on the Internet, is seems you learn more and more in correcting each one. I don't give up easily and will figure it out, if it kills me.

MaryAnne

Governor
I have no choice but to use the Microsoft OS. That said, MS has quite obviously engaged in planned obsolescence in their software products for several years now. It's their only available strategy for maintaining sales volume. That is why newer versions of Microsoft Office create files that can't be opened by older versions of the software -- unless you convert the files, free of charge, on an independent website.
If you're using a Microsoft OS and IE, then you should always use the newest version of the browser that is available. Upgrading can also relieve you of some of the more sinister BHO's (No... Not the President -- Browser Helper Objects) that you may have accumulated while surfing with the older version.

In general, I would recommend avoiding third party "toolbars", weather bugs and such. They aren't offered to enhance your browsing experience. They are offered by these third-party vendors as a means to abuse naive web surfers. Most folks voluntarily install mal-ware on their computers when they agree to accept these "free" apps.

Ny Son told me the same thing, NS. He also told me Google tool bar and Home page slowed me down. I like Google Tool bar because of auto fill and spell check. I like MSN because of the many things it has. Have not checked around yet. Am so happy it is running fast I am leaving it alone for now:eek:)
Thank you for your ideas.I appreciate them.

MaryAnne

Governor
So true Night Swimmer, pretty much what my Son has told me. Yes, I found out the hard way about four years ago about third party toolbars and it was the 'weather one' They are to be ignored.

With every problem you run into on the Internet, is seems you learn more and more in correcting each one. I don't give up easily and will figure it out, if it kills me.
What would we do without Sons as Computer experts. He is busy fixing mine and my Grandson is always screwing something up. He will not touch his MIL's because another SIL fixes it for her and then she cannot get it to do anything. He said he would not touch it because he had no idea what was done.

He was not happy I called a computer guy but was so busy working he could not get here. But the Computer guy just got rid of it all,except my email addresses.. Said he could take it home and save all.

I have most of my pictures on CD,only lost a few and favorites. That was too full any way. Much like a closet.:eek:)

One woman I know has 80,000 pictures of her Grandchildren on her computer.Her SIL found that out when working on it:eek:)

What problem are you having now? We have computer experts on the board. Many have helped me over the years. Some,I still cannot do.

lilly

Council Member
What would we do without Sons as Computer experts. He is busy fixing mine and my Grandson is always screwing something up. He will not touch his MIL's because another SIL fixes it for her and then she cannot get it to do anything. He said he would not touch it because he had no idea what was done.

He was not happy I called a computer guy but was so busy working he could not get here. But the Computer guy just got rid of it all,except my email addresses.. Said he could take it home and save all.

I have most of my pictures on CD,only lost a few and favorites. That was too full any way. Much like a closet.:eek:)

One woman I know has 80,000 pictures of her Grandchildren on her computer.Her SIL found that out when working on it:eek:)

What problem are you having now? We have computer experts on the board. Many have helped me over the years. Some,I still cannot do.
Yes Mary, Sons are a blessing in many ways but I mostly figure it out myself, since he is in Florida. When I first went on the internet many moons ago, he said 'ask' and I did some of the time but I am like a man who won't ask directions. LOL I'm having no problem at all and my computer runs like the speed of light, it's only me that is slowing down. :) I have so many graphics it's a wonder it doesn't burst but I clean out daily chatter every night.

Have a good one, so glad you are back.

Bo-4

Senator
I have the perfect solution to anyone sick of PC issues. BUY A MAC.

My iMac is 5 years old now. I've had maybe THREE minor issues in that time which were easily resolved.. one by me, and two with tech support from knowledgeable, English speaking peeps.

Upgraded to a 1 Terabyte HD (total cost of $150 including migrating all my old data) and it's humming like new and ready for another 4 years. No crashes, no reboots, nothing.. ever.

Oh.. and no need for an anti-virus program. Successful virus introductions on Mac are virtually non-existant.

lilly

Council Member
Friends of mine purchashed a Mac for each of their kids before they left for college. No problems with Mac, just cars. :D

Bo-4

Senator
Friends of mine purchashed a Mac for each of their kids before they left for college. No problems with Mac, just cars. :D
Yeah, got my 17 year old an Macbook Pro and no issues with it either. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!

*My last Dell was literally dead in the water in less than 3 years.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I like Google Tool bar because of auto fill and spell check.
See, the thing is, your browser will already do all of that without Google Tool Bar©. You just have to learn how to tweak your settings. Auto-fill is an option for IE. You can download ieSpell for free, and it is a clean spell-check program for IE. Opera (and, I think, Firefox) both have spell-check built into the browser. I don't know if the newest version of IE does. I don't use it anymore. I don't trust Google nearly as much as I use to either. I will say that the Yahoo tool-bar is even crappier software than the Google version. Neither of them is easy to completely un-install, once you've been "infected". ;)

Jen

Senator
For some reason I just never have liked IE. I've tried the newest version several times and it bogged my computer down each time. I have used Firefox for a number of years and love it. I tried Chrome too............ liked some things about it but there were deal breakers.

Friday13

Governor
I don't like Vista (my other computer), but it's not really horrible. I'm just getting used to Win7, and it's an improvement on Vista. I had to go to IE9 for a couple of sites that I visit to behave properly. Win8 will be released soon, I hear.

MaryAnne

Governor

Thanks, Nightswimmer for your helpful advice. My Son and Computer guy said the same thing. That is what slows your computer down.