• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Coyotes

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy
Ok so here in SC coyotes are having a devastating impact on our deer population.

They are killing a huge percentage of fawns by following pregnant does and then getting the fawn and sometimes the doe as it gives birth.

We actually have a 1000 dollar bounty if you shoot a tagged yote .

So I'm going to start trying to kill some.
Anyone here hunt eastern Coyotes?

SB

MrMike

Bless you all
I had to shoot one several years ago behind the house. A gaggle of coyotes kept hanging out in back and killing people's pets. My shepherd at the time wanted out so bad but he would not fare well (too many and ours are big coyotes). Neighbors had toddlers and were scared of them always being around in back (we have tree line/creek). My local cops told me to just nail one of them and leave it out back and it would deter them for a bit. Watched them over a week or so and picked what I thought was the dominant one. I used a tiny .17hrm with a scoped bolt action rifle. The coyote jumped several feet in the air when I shot and landed thud dead. Went and looked at it and poor thing was gorgeous. Made me a bit sad.

They stayed away for over a year.

Days

Commentator
We have coyfoxes... yeah, that's for real... they are everywhere in the Chicago suburbs. They eat the rabbits which are also everywhere. They also hunt the geese, which are also everywhere. But coyfoxes are smaller than full size coyotes. I'm told there are also coywolves.

Coyotes hunt in packs and will kill humans; it's on their diet menu. So be careful.

Caroljo

Senator
We have a lot of coyotes here in Michigan too. When we lived out in the country we could always hear them, but I'd never seen one. About 5 yrs ago my son and family came home on leave from NC. They had 2 dogs, a mini schnauzer and a TINY chihuahua named Bella. The day after they got home, somehow Bella was left outside when the other dogs were let in. This was early in the day and when we found out we all spent the day hunting for her. There was a large field across the road, and a busy highway about 3 blocks away. We put posters out looking for her...the next day some kid on a school bus saw her about 1/2 mile away (on the other side of the highway)...so we searched all over there, but nothing. So by the 2nd night we were sure she wasn't alive anymore. Figured a coyote or even a hawk got her...something that small wouldn't live long out there. My DIL was so heartbroken, she was her baby. But early the 3rd morning my husband took the other dogs out, it was still dark outside...when they went into the garage he saw something skitter away, he figured it was a squirrel or something, but their other dog was acting funny so he went to check and it was Bella! She had found her way back to our house somehow! How she stayed alive out there for 2 full days and nights we have no idea!

Ok so here in SC coyotes are having a devastating impact on our deer population.

They are killing a huge percentage of fawns by following pregnant does and then getting the fawn and sometimes the doe as it gives birth.

SB
We have a lot of them in my area (Sierra foothills of Northern CA). The state fish and game department has declared an open season on them, they can be shot anytime through the year. I've had to shoot a few that were killing my chickens and harassing my pigs when they were small. It's unpleasant for me, because I love dogs, but I love my chickens and pigs more.

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy
I had to shoot one several years ago behind the house. A gaggle of coyotes kept hanging out in back and killing people's pets. My shepherd at the time wanted out so bad but he would not fare well (too many and ours are big coyotes). Neighbors had toddlers and were scared of them always being around in back (we have tree line/creek). My local cops told me to just nail one of them and leave it out back and it would deter them for a bit. Watched them over a week or so and picked what I thought was the dominant one. I used a tiny .17hrm with a scoped bolt action rifle. The coyote jumped several feet in the air when I shot and landed thud dead. Went and looked at it and poor thing was gorgeous. Made me a bit sad.

They stayed away for over a year.
Don't feel sorry for them .
They are
We have a lot of them in my area (Sierra foothills of Northern CA). The state fish and game department has declared an open season on them, they can be shot anytime through the year. I've had to shoot a few that were killing my chickens and harassing my pigs when they were small. It's unpleasant for me, because I love dogs, but I love my chickens and pigs more.
I understand.
I thought they were cool until I found out how they are killing of the fawns.

Now they must die.

Lol
SB

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy
We have a lot of coyotes here in Michigan too. When we lived out in the country we could always hear them, but I'd never seen one. About 5 yrs ago my son and family came home on leave from NC. They had 2 dogs, a mini schnauzer and a TINY chihuahua named Bella. The day after they got home, somehow Bella was left outside when the other dogs were let in. This was early in the day and when we found out we all spent the day hunting for her. There was a large field across the road, and a busy highway about 3 blocks away. We put posters out looking for her...the next day some kid on a school bus saw her about 1/2 mile away (on the other side of the highway)...so we searched all over there, but nothing. So by the 2nd night we were sure she wasn't alive anymore. Figured a coyote or even a hawk got her...something that small wouldn't live long out there. My DIL was so heartbroken, she was her baby. But early the 3rd morning my husband took the other dogs out, it was still dark outside...when they went into the garage he saw something skitter away, he figured it was a squirrel or something, but their other dog was acting funny so he went to check and it was Bella! She had found her way back to our house somehow! How she stayed alive out there for 2 full days and nights we have no idea!
Lucky
SB

RickWA

Snagglesooth

SB
My property here in the Pacific NW borders on forest. We have coyotes everywhere. I cut 'em slack because they eat cats. :)