• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Crazed Montana GOP House candidate assaults reporter

Bugsy McGurk

President
The House seat election there is today.

The reporter's "offense"? Asking the candidate a question about the GOP's new health care bill.

The candidate just flipped out and threw the reporter on the ground last night. He's been charged with assault.

Then, being a winger, he released a statement chock full of lies, blaming the reporter for being assaulted and sent to the hospital.

The GOP candidate also tipped his hand, calling his victim a "liberal reporter." Why say he was "liberal"? To rally up the rabble to vote for him. Dear Leader Trump has encouraged violence and called the press "the enemy of the people." The Montana dude obviously thinks the GOP rabble may view assaulting a "liberal reporter" as a good thing, boosting his election chances.

Today's big test - will GOP voters reward the wackjob GOP candidate and send him to Congress?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/media/montana-gop-greg-gianforte/index.html

Last edited:
newspapers immediately pulled their endorsements, even though this was a misdemeanor charge, and there is the presumption of innocence prior to any trial.

I actually applaud the loss of endorsements, even though it's a misdemeanor.

too bad there's a double standard for Hillary though. she was investigated for a felony. comey lambasted her for a half hour on the air, live, then kneecapped lynch by telling her NOT to prosecute.

all the newpapers endorsed Hillary anyway.

biggest double standard ever.

Caroljo

Senator
Since I couldn't SEE what actually happened....according to the video the reporter came in uninvited, got pushy, shoved the recorder in his face (after the candidate said it would be talked about later). Sounds like he's had to put up with the retarded liberal reporters before and he'd had enough and snapped. Can't really blame him when the reporter was being an [Unwelcome language removed]. He shouldn't have done what he did, but people are getting tired of it & more of this will probably happen.

Bugsy McGurk

President
newspapers immediately pulled their endorsements, even though this was a misdemeanor charge, and there is the presumption of innocence prior to any trial.

too bad there's a double standard for Hillary though. she was investigated for a felony. comey lambasted her for a half hour on the air, live, then kneecapped lynch by telling her NOT to prosecute.

Off to Hillary babbling you go...

Bugsy McGurk

President
Since I couldn't SEE what actually happened....according to the video the reporter came in uninvited, got pushy, shoved the recorder in his face (after the candidate said it would be talked about later). Sounds like he's had to put up with the retarded liberal reporters before and he'd had enough and snapped. Can't really blame him when the reporter was being an [Unwelcome language removed]. He shouldn't have done what he did, but people are getting tired of it & more of this will probably happen.
Video? Sheesh.

Anyway, the violent GOP kook knows his customers - he throws a reporter on the floor, calls him a "liberal," and wingers rally around him. His violence may actually boost his turnout from the deranged GOP rabble.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Off to Hillary babbling you go...
It's a disease. Mention the violent GOP candidate...and the response is...Hillary.

The local Sheriff is a contributor...so...the charge is a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

...What didn’t make quite as many headlines, however, is that it appears the good sheriff is also a documented Gianforte donor.

Yes really.

According to the ever-useful OpenSecrets.com, Gootkin donated $250 to Gianforte back in March....

http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-sheriff-investigating-greg-gianforte-is-a-gianforte-donor/

MISSOULA, Mont. — The Republican candidate in a hotly contested special House election in Montana was charged with assaulting a journalist on Wednesday at what was to be a final rally in Bozeman on the eve of the vote. The attack brought police officers to the event and sent the reporter to the hospital for X-rays...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/politics/greg-gianforte-montana-republican-body-slams-reporter.html

Bugsy McGurk

President
It's a disease. Mention the violent GOP candidate...and the response is...Hillary.

The local Sheriff is a contributor...so...the charge is a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

...What didn’t make quite as many headlines, however, is that it appears the good sheriff is also a documented Gianforte donor.

Yes really.

According to the ever-useful OpenSecrets.com, Gootkin donated $250 to Gianforte back in March....

http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-sheriff-investigating-greg-gianforte-is-a-gianforte-donor/

MISSOULA, Mont. — The Republican candidate in a hotly contested special House election in Montana was charged with assaulting a journalist on Wednesday at what was to be a final rally in Bozeman on the eve of the vote. The attack brought police officers to the event and sent the reporter to the hospital for X-rays...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/politics/greg-gianforte-montana-republican-body-slams-reporter.html
The GOP wackjob is lucky he has things rigged. He should be sitting in the pokey right now.

Today's big test - will GOP voters reward the wackjob GOP candidate and send him to Congress?
That's complicated by the fact that early voting in Montana has already accounted for about half the votes (I think)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Gianforte#Ben_Jacobs_altercation

"Following the altercation, Jacobs was subsequently sent to the hospital to get injuries checked out by a doctor.[46]

"Gianforte was cited for misdemeanor assault by the Gallatin County Sheriff, and has been ordered to appear in court regarding his actions.[49][50]

"Three of Montana's largest newspapers, including the Billings Gazette, the largest in the state, the Missoulian and the Independent Record, all rescinded their endorsements of Gianforte in the wake of the incident.[51][52][53][54]

"The Gazette also commented on the fact that Montana is one of a few states that does not allow early voters to change their votes and called for a change to the law;[51] more than half of the expected ballots in the race had been submitted by the day of the incident."

Caroljo

Senator
Video? Sheesh.

Anyway, the violent GOP kook knows his customers - he throws a reporter on the floor, calls him a "liberal," and wingers rally around him. His violence may actually boost his turnout from the deranged GOP rabble.
Yes...video. You didn't see it? Lol! It's there...open your eyes.

Bugsy McGurk

President
That's complicated by the fact that early voting in Montana has already accounted for about half the votes (I think)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Gianforte#Ben_Jacobs_altercation

"Following the altercation, Jacobs was subsequently sent to the hospital to get injuries checked out by a doctor.[46]

"Gianforte was cited for misdemeanor assault by the Gallatin County Sheriff, and has been ordered to appear in court regarding his actions.[49][50]

"Three of Montana's largest newspapers, including the Billings Gazette, the largest in the state, the Missoulian and the Independent Record, all rescinded their endorsements of Gianforte in the wake of the incident.[51][52][53][54]

"The Gazette also commented on the fact that Montana is one of a few states that does not allow early voters to change their votes and called for a change to the law;[51] more than half of the expected ballots in the race had been submitted by the day of the incident."
That's too bad. Montana voters deserved to know that the GOP candidate is a violent lunatic.

Frankly though, I don't think his violent attack will hurt him with the GOP rabble. After Trump's encouragement of violence and his labeling of reporters as the "enemy of the people," much of the GOP rabble has been programmed to applaud violent assaults on reporters.

D

Deleted member 21794

The reporter's "offense"? Asking the candidate a question about the GOP's new health care bill.

The candidate just flipped out and threw the reporter on the ground last night. He's been charged with assault.

Then, being a winger, he released a statement chock full of lies, blaming the reporter for being assaulted and sent to the hospital.

The GOP candidate also tipped his hand, calling his victim a "liberal reporter." Why say he was "liberal"? To rally up the rabble to vote for him. Dear Leader Trump has encouraged violence and called the press "the enemy of the people." The Montana dude obviously thinks the GOP rabble may view assaulting a "liberal reporter" as a good thing, boosting his election chances.

I hope he loses the election and is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. There, see how easy it is to make a principled stand?

Why don't you give it a try some time?

Bugsy McGurk

President
I hope he loses the election and is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. There, see how easy it is to make a principled stand?

It's hard to believe that you're really rooting for the Dem but, on the off-chance that's true, kudos.

I think I gave you a compliment. I'm not really sure.

;-)

Arkady

President

I saw a depressing but insightful tweet on this, from a commentator who observed that things have gotten so bad that this could well be seen as a point in the politician's favor, among the kinds of voters he's depending on.

Well, I hope he at least sees some jail time for his violent crime.

Frankly though, I don't think his violent attack will hurt him with the GOP rabble. After Trump's encouragement of violence and his labeling of reporters as the "enemy of the people," much of the GOP rabble has been programmed to applaud violent assaults on reporters.
You're right about Trump's base; they love violence when one of their loons wins the fight. Maybe some Montana independents will have second thoughts about voting for this particular rich-b*tch, religious loon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Gianforte#Aging_and_retirement

"Gianforte has outlined his position on retirement by using the Biblical example of Noah.

"He said, 'There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, "Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach... The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical.'"

Arkady

President

Clinton did nothing wrong. Comey knew that, which is why, despite every hacky Republican fiber in his being calling out for prosecution, he had to admit there was simply no precedent for bringing any charges based on that fact pattern. Yet he couldn't resist using that grudging admission as an occasion for non-legal criticisms of Clinton. It would have been bizarre indeed if newspapers had responded to Comey disgracing himself and his office that way by withdrawing their endorsements of the victim of his misconduct, don't you think?

Arkady

President
You're right about Trump's base; they love violence when one of their loons wins the fight. Maybe some Montana independents will have second thoughts about voting for this particular rich-b*tch, religious loon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Gianforte#Aging_and_retirement

"Gianforte has outlined his position on retirement by using the Biblical example of Noah.

"He said, 'There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today. Nowhere does it say, "Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach... The example I think of is Noah. How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical.'"
I bet he wins the election anyway. The people of Montana are deeply immoral, on average, and won't hold that kind of lawless conduct against someone, as long as they see the man as playing for their team.

Bugsy McGurk

President
I saw a depressing but insightful tweet on this, from a commentator who observed that things have gotten so bad that this could well be seen as a point in the politician's favor, among the kinds of voters he's depending on.

Well, I hope he at least sees some jail time for his violent crime.
Yup, and the violent lunatic knows it.

In his statement lying about what happened, he made sure to note that the reporter he choked and threw to the ground was a "liberal." The only reason to do that was to rally more of the GOP rabble to the polls to vote for him.

Truly disgraceful stuff.

Early voting in Montana may have already given Gianforte a victory; if he is declared the winner, should he resign if enough of his voters have changed their minds since casting their ballots?

I bet he wins the election anyway. The people of Montana are deeply immoral, on average, and won't hold that kind of lawless conduct against someone, as long as they see the man as playing for their team.
There is also the early voting factor which may have decided that particular race before the polls open. Currently, Montana voters are not allowed to change their minds after casting their early ballots.