• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Damn, Johhny, Why'd you have to die

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Monday, December 8th 1980……Colorado Springs, Colorado
The news was bad. John Lennon (John Winston Lennon) had been shot and killed outside his apartment in New York City. It was like a knife in my heart.

I didn’t like the Beatles at first. I and my Navy buddies thought they looked and sounded like fruits, with their silly hair and Liverpudlian accents. But one hit song followed another, their tremendous musical talent began to be evident and I discovered that I was a fan, a life-long fan as it turned out.

John Lennon was always my favorite Beatle. I don’t know why, he just was. McCartney was the face of the Beatles, George Harrison the heart,….but John was their soul. Ringo brought up the rear. I loved John Lennon, less so after he married Yoko Ono and turned into a weirdo but my love for his music never diminished.

A few days later they held a memorial in The Garden of the Gods, in the shadow of the Kissing Camels and hundreds of people came, more like thousands of people came, to pay their last respects. There were many younger people but mainly folks about my age (37 at the time) many of them moved to tears by the emotion of the moment.

My daughter was ten years old and knew of the Beatles because of me (the wife was a Rolling Stones fan; I was a Beatles all the way). She came along with us, and my dog Noah came along too. People in Colorado are fond of taking their dogs with them almost anywhere, so we brought the big black ball of fur to the event. Noah started to relieve himself on a man’s leg but I managed to pull him away before he could accomplish the act. He found a bush instead.

A loud speaker was blasting out the song Imagine. I never cared much for the song. It reminded me that he had, in the later years, turned into a peacenik pussy and I wanted to hear some real John Lennon. I wanted to hear some Dizzy Miss Lizzy. or maybe Twist and Shout Something from the old days….one of my favorite Lennon songs.

My daughter cried at the memorial for John Lennon, probably because others around her were crying, my wife cried too. I did not….it just seemed inappropriate at the time….it was deeper than that. I never knew him, but it seemed like I did. It’s been 22 years since it happened. A new generation has grown up that has no clue about who he was or what he did.

All in all, John Lennon was not a very admirable person, but I liked him, and I miss him.

Jack Dallas (Posted on BOTF 2002)

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
The news was bad. John Lennon (John Winston Lennon) had been shot and killed outside his apartment in New York City. It was like a knife in my heart.

I didn’t like the Beatles at first. I and my Navy buddies thought they looked and sounded like fruits, with their silly hair and Liverpudlian accents. But one hit song followed another, their tremendous musical talent began to be evident and I discovered that I was a fan, a life-long fan as it turned out.

John Lennon was always my favorite Beatle. I don’t know why, he just was. McCartney was the face of the Beatles, George Harrison the heart,….but John was their soul. Ringo brought up the rear. I loved John Lennon, less so after he married Yoko Ono and turned into a weirdo but my love for his music never diminished.

A few days later they held a memorial in The Garden of the Gods, in the shadow of the Kissing Camels and hundreds of people came, more like thousands of people came, to pay their last respects. There were many younger people but mainly folks about my age (37 at the time) many of them moved to tears by the emotion of the moment.

My daughter was ten years old and knew of the Beatles because of me (the wife was a Rolling Stones fan; I was a Beatles all the way). She came along with us, and my dog Noah came along too. People in Colorado are fond of taking their dogs with them almost anywhere, so we brought the big black ball of fur to the event. Noah started to relieve himself on a man’s leg but I managed to pull him away before he could accomplish the act. He found a bush instead.

A loud speaker was blasting out the song Imagine. I never cared much for the song. It reminded me that he had, in the later years, turned into a peacenik pussy and I wanted to hear some real John Lennon. I wanted to hear some Dizzy Miss Lizzy. or maybe Twist and Shout Something from the old days….one of my favorite Lennon songs.

My daughter cried at the memorial for John Lennon, probably because others around her were crying, my wife cried too. I did not….it just seemed inappropriate at the time….it was deeper than that. I never knew him, but it seemed like I did. It’s been 22 years since it happened. A new generation has grown up that has no clue about who he was or what he did.

All in all, John Lennon was not a very admirable person, but I liked him, and I miss him.

I'm 3 days late posting this. My apologies, it just slipped my mind.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I remember the night the news came in. It was very late at night. He was only 40 years old. I was 22. He had become an admirable person. He had settled down and he and Yoko had become very good parents to their young son Sean and he had started to build a relationship with his oldest son Julian too. I was really liking the solo music he was creating at the time. Very talented.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I remember the night the news came in. It was very late at night. He was only 40 years old. I was 22. He had become an admirable person. He had settled down and he and Yoko had become very good parents to their young son Sean and he had started to build a relationship with his oldest son Julian too. I was really liking the solo music he was creating at the time. Very talented.
It absolutely broke my heart. I just loved their music. Lennon was always my favorite. I don't really know why. I felt pretty much the same way about John Denver and his music. It hurt badly to hear of his death.

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Senator

Sometimes we like people who are not very admirable. I don't know why, but it happens. And you know what? It's okay. Just as you have embraced liking John Lennon, we can embrace who our heart chooses to like and the reason doesn't matter. I liked John Lennon too.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Sometimes we like people who are not very admirable. I don't know why, but it happens. And you know what? It's okay. Just as you have embraced liking John Lennon, we can embrace who our heart chooses to like and the reason doesn't matter. I liked John Lennon too.
I love the music of shitheads like Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Linda Ronstadt, and Barbara Streisand, but I wouldn't walk across the street to meet them, if they were performing at my neighbor's house; and I wouldn't spend a nickel on their products. Same with a lot of actors.

Jen

Senator
I love the music of shitheads like Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Linda Ronstadt, and Barbara Streisand, but I wouldn't walk across the street to meet them, if they were performing at my neighbor's house; and I wouldn't spend a nickel on their products. Same with a lot of actors.
Same here.

justoffal

Senator

Terrible Musicians....seriously mediocre lyrics....but man did they ever go popular or what?

The Rolling stones are far more talented in almost every way and yet they are still considered to be number 2 in the annals of Rock'N'Roll History.

Go figure.

JO