• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Dem gov of MN gives housing to 150 illegals. 18,000 Mainers waiting for section 8

TBLee

Governor
It is not pretzel logic to say that Maine should deal with its its serious affordable housing problem instead of pitting one group of unfortunate people against another and scapegoating a couple of hundred asylum seekers for Maine's housing problems.
What you are saying is NOT solving the issue NOW. That is the point. Janet Mills is the one responsible for pitting one against another, the Maine residents who have waited their turn for assistance should come before the seekers.

FakeName

Governor
The expenditures that are being used to house the asylum seekers could and should be used towards housing for those Maine residents who have been on a list and waiting for housing. Regardless of the being on a "list", the funds are being freed up to house the seekers, and could instead be used to help those on the list.
Two seperate issues.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Trying to scape goat the asylum seekers is just an immoral attempt to divert attention from the real problem..... Maine's failure to deal with their affordable housing shortage.

FakeName

Governor
100% truth all the way - and you can’t hide it.
Nothing to hide. It is utter nonsense.

Sometimes i think you are smarter then the average partisan hack on here and then you make sweeping and grossly inaccurate claims about "lefty" and ruin it.

FakeName

Governor
What you are saying is NOT solving the issue NOW. That is the point. Janet Mills is the one responsible for pitting one against another, the Maine residents who have waited their turn for assistance should come before the seekers.
Solve the problem now.

Vote for people that will raise taxes and invest in affordable housing.

A couple of hundred asylum seekers are irrelevant to that problem.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Nothing to hide. It is utter nonsense.

Sometimes i think you are smarter then the average partisan hack on here and then you make sweeping and grossly inaccurate claims about "lefty" and ruin it.
Data points. I reference data points. When folks who cross our border are consistently favored via policy over and above citizens, what other conclusion can a reasonable person draw? Why would ALL TEN CANDIDATES on a debate stage raise their hands when asked “do you support FREE healthcare” for these non-citizens? Especially when most of those same ten folks support and/or voted for ACA, which FINED citizens if they didn’t sign up and PAY for their healthcare? Several times now you have chosen to ignore this very telling juxtaposition.

So it goes with housing in Maine. Citizens have been waiting for housing for YEARS. However, nearly-immediate lodging can be arranged for non-citizens. Whether you choose to contort the issue to section 8 versus “temporary housing” is not compelling. Homeless would LOVE temporary lodging while they await a permanent solution. But feel free to continue avoiding THAT specific detail as well.

Bad faith posting. This forum is LOADED with it. You folks won’t be precise and address the specifics of what is written. Just respond with a coupla platitudes and we’ll call it good, right?

Days

Commentator
Data points. I reference data points. When folks who cross our border are consistently favored via policy over and above citizens, what other conclusion can a reasonable person draw? Why would ALL TEN CANDIDATES on a debate stage raise their hands when asked “do you support FREE healthcare” for these non-citizens? Especially when most of those same ten folks support and/or voted for ACA, which FINED citizens if they didn’t sign up and PAY for their healthcare? Several times now you have chosen to ignore this very telling juxtaposition.

So it goes with housing in Maine. Citizens have been waiting for housing for YEARS. However, nearly-immediate lodging can be arranged for non-citizens. Whether you choose to contort the issue to section 8 versus “temporary housing” is not compelling. Homeless would LOVE temporary lodging while they await a permanent solution. But feel free to continue avoiding THAT specific detail as well.

Bad faith posting. This forum is LOADED with it. You folks won’t be precise and address the specifics of what is written. Just respond with a coupla platitudes and we’ll call it good, right?
No, he/she responded with solid government realities, albeit, I'll grant that he/she chose them because they supported his/her political view.

Your point is also taken; what about providing temporary housing for section 8 applicants before providing it for asylum seekers? I'm afraid that the laws can't be bent to accommodate that sentiment. The housing is being provided according with the laws that were passed to address each situation. FakeName is correct on this issue.

Last edited:

FakeName

Governor
Data points. I reference data points. When folks who cross our border are consistently favored via policy over and above citizens,.?
They aren't.
Why would ALL TEN CANDIDATES on a debate stage raise their hands when asked “do you support FREE healthcare” for these non-citizens? Especially when most of those same ten folks support and/or voted for ACA, which FINED citizens if they didn’t sign up and PAY for their healthcare? Several times now you have chosen to ignore this very telling juxtaposition.
They think all human beings should have access to health care. Regardless of citizenship status etc.

They all support universal health care in some form.

It is a lie to say they support healthcare for immigrants and not citizens. You probably got that sleight of hand from Fox News.

So it goes with housing in Maine. Citizens have been waiting for housing for YEARS. However, nearly-immediate lodging can be arranged for non-citizens. Whether you choose to contort the issue to section 8 versus “temporary housing” is not compelling. Homeless would LOVE temporary lodging while they await a permanent solution. But feel free to continue avoiding THAT specific detail as well.?
Apples to oranges. Different lists.

18,000 Mainers waiting for section 8. 200 people are seeking asylum.

If the asylum seekers ever qualify for section 8 they will be put at the end of the line.

It is you that is posting in bad faith. Posting sweeping and inaccurate generalizations about what you childishly call "lefty".

TBLee

Governor
Two seperate issues.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Trying to scape goat the asylum seekers is just an immoral attempt to divert attention from the real problem..... Maine's failure to deal with their affordable housing shortage.
Our entire country has an issue with affordable housing. Maine is not different from many states. The here and now is what we CAN deal with. Maine residents should have been allotted the same amount of concern for housing that the seekers were. That was not what happened. Funds that could have and should have been used in housing Maine residents was used instead to house the seekers.

Days

Commentator
Our entire country has an issue with affordable housing. Maine is not different from many states. The here and now is what we CAN deal with. Maine residents should have been allotted the same amount of concern for housing that the seekers were. That was not what happened. Funds that could have and should have been used in housing Maine residents was used instead to house the seekers.
Funds that were appropriated for asylum seekers... not for section 8.

You can argue with the state legislature for not writing better laws, but the Governor followed those laws to the tee.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
No, he/she responded with solid government realities, albeit, I'll grant that he/she chose them because they supported his political view.

Your point is also taken; what about providing temporary housing for section 8 applicants before providing it for asylum seekers? I'm afraid that the laws can't be bent to accommodate that sentiment. The housing is being provided according with the laws that were passed to address each situation. FakeName is correct on this issue.
I disagree that government can find “temporary housing” for non-citizens but is PARALYZED to do so for citizens who have been waiting for years. This is silly - and any governor and legislative body could quickly remedy this.

TBLee

Governor
Solve the problem now.

Vote for people that will raise taxes and invest in affordable housing.

A couple of hundred asylum seekers are irrelevant to that problem.
Believe me I plan to do just that during the next election cycle. Giving preferential treatment to the seekers over Maine residents was a failure within the system. The funds should have been used to assist those residents who have been waiting for lengthy amounts of time, not on seekers who arrived recently.

FakeName

Governor
What is a better way to solve that problem?

Raising taxes and investing in and providing incentives for, affordable housing?

Or blaming asylum seekers?

TBLee

Governor
Funds that were appropriated for asylum seekers... not for section 8.

You can argue with the state legislature for not writing better laws, but the Governor followed those laws to the tee.
The funds could have easily been used to assist those on the list. Mills decided when and where the funds would go.

TBLee

Governor
What is a better way to solve that problem?

Raising taxes and investing in and providing incentives for, affordable housing?

Or blaming asylum seekers?
I am not blaming the seekers, I am blaming Governor Mills. The funds should have gone to Maine residents waiting for housing before seekers who just recently arrived in the state.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
They aren't.

They think all human beings should have access to health care. Regardless of citizenship status etc.

They all support universal health care in some form.

It is a lie to say they support healthcare for immigrants and not citizens. You probably got that sleight of hand from Fox News.

Apples to oranges. Different lists.

18,000 Mainers waiting for section 8. 200 people are seeking asylum.

If the asylum seekers ever qualify for section 8 they will be put at the end of the line.

It is you that is posting in bad faith. Posting sweeping and inaccurate generalizations about what you childishly call "lefty".
Yawn. Don’t watch Fox. Yawn. One group (citizens) must now pay. One group (non-citizens) are favored to go in free out of the gate. Yawn. Now we do the headcount sleight of hand. 200 of the 18,000 citizens could be housed.

Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

Predictably dodgy...and bad faith address of the substantive issue at hand. As always.

FakeName

Governor
Believe me I plan to do just that during the next election cycle. Giving preferential treatment to the seekers over Maine residents was a failure within the system. The funds should have been used to assist those residents who have been waiting for lengthy amounts of time, not on seekers who arrived recently.
They aren't getting preferential treatment. They are in a seperate system. It is apples to oranges.

FakeName

Governor
Yawn. Don’t watch Fox. Yawn. One group (citizens) must now pay. One group (non-citizens) are favored to go in free out of the gate. Yawn. Now we do the headcount sleight of hand. 200 of the 18,000 citizens could be housed.

Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

Predictably dodgy...and bad faith address of the substantive issue at hand. As always.
Nonsense.

EatTheRich

President
I am not objecting to finding housing for refugees, I am however objecting to Governor Mills decision to put the needs of refugees ahead of those of Maine residents. I believe no one should be homeless, but what you are complaining about is exactly what is happening in this particular situation. The seekers who have been in the State for a short time frame should be added to the bottom of the list for housing, not ahead of those who are already on the list. That IS putting the needs of one group ahead of the needs of another.
International and domestic law says they must be provided with housing. The workers’ right to Section 8 benefits is another matter.