• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Did you all see the news reports that the CDC lowered the covid death rate to .26%...

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released new estimates suggesting that the real fatality rate is around 0.26 percent.

Specifically, the report concludes that the "symptomatic case fatality ratio" is 0.4 percent. But that's just symptomatic cases. In the same report, the CDC also claims that 35 percent of all cases are asymptomatic.

Or, as the Washington Post reported this week:

The agency offered a "current best estimate" of 0.4 percent. The agency also gave a best estimate that 35 percent of people infected never develop symptoms. Those numbers when put together would produce an infection fatality rate of 0.26, which is lower than many of the estimates produced by scientists and modelers to date.

Of course, not all scientists have been wrong on this. Back in March, Stanford scientist John Ioannidis was much, much closer to the CDC's estimate than the WHO. The Wall Street Journal noted in April:

In a March article for Stat News, Dr. Ioannidis argued that Covid-19 is far less deadly than modelers were assuming. He considered the experience of the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which was quarantined Feb. 4 in Japan. Nine of 700 infected passengers and crew died. Based on the demographics of the ship’s population, Dr. Ioannidis estimated that the U.S. fatality rate could be as low as 0.025% to 0.625% and put the upper bound at 0.05% to 1%—comparable to that of seasonal flu.

I guess the MSM didn't think that was "news" worthy. So there you have it - all of the dire predictions with 1000% wrong. And Dr. Ionnidas was ridiculed for suggesting it was going to be comparable to the seasonal flu. Now you know why the tin pot (Orwellian) censors here demand nobody use sources like Zerohedge - it's one of the few outlets willing to publish the facts that blow the MSM narrative mongers out of their shoes.

Now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released new estimates suggesting that the real fatality rate is around 0.26 percent.

Specifically, the report concludes that the "symptomatic case fatality ratio" is 0.4 percent. But that's just symptomatic cases. In the same report, the CDC also claims that 35 percent of all cases are asymptomatic.

Or, as the Washington Post reported this week:

Of course, not all scientists have been wrong on this. Back in March, Stanford scientist John Ioannidis was much, much closer to the CDC's estimate than the WHO. The Wall Street Journal noted in April:

I guess the MSM didn't think that was "news" worthy. So there you have it - all of the dire predictions with 1000% wrong. And Dr. Ionnidas was ridiculed for suggesting it was going to be comparable to the seasonal flu. Now you know why the tin pot (Orwellian) censors here demand nobody use sources like Zerohedge - it's one of the few outlets willing to publish the facts that blow the MSM narrative mongers out of their shoes.
Yes it's low thanks to people social distancing.

Uhhh...they weren’t “social distancing” on that cruise ship near Japan - where the early (and more accurate) statistics were collected.

Fidelity to narrative uber alles, eh?
Yes the death rate in the US would be much higher in the US if people weren't socially distancing.
They have room for seven people on a cruise ship in a hospital.
They don't have room at the hospital for every American to get it all at once. If they did people would be dying in streets.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Yes the death rate in the US would be much higher in the US if people weren't socially distancing.
Nice try, but the stats hold independent of the US iteration of “distancing”. Did you not read the piece?
Now, I’m just fine with “social distancing”...but when anti-science lefty insists upon attributing so many disease characteristics and statistics to this singular practice...normal, well-adjusted, honest, educated people must interject.

Feel free to continue your hibernation to suit your tastes. I’m no control freak, busybody, coercive-interventionist statist. :)

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Nice try, but the stats hold independent of the US iteration of “distancing”. Did you not read the piece?
Now, I’m just fine with “social distancing”...but when anti-science lefty insists upon attributing so many disease characteristics and statistics to this singular practice...normal, well-adjusted, honest, educated people must interject.

Feel free to continue your hibernation to suit your tastes. I’m no control freak, busybody, coercive-interventionist statist. :)
When OCF steps back outside his immune system is going to be so depleted he will catch every disease floating around...…………….oh well.

The report is just a bullshit estimate anyway. Projections based on a cruise ship alone. It's simple.

You really need get out of mommy & daddies basement and see all the people out and about in Louisville...…………..soon you shall, work at home is about to end...…...
I am thinking they might offer me work-from-home permanently. It'll save my company the overhead of providing me office space.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I am thinking they might offer me work-from-home permanently. It'll save my company the overhead of providing me office space.
"I am thinking"...…………...not going to happen...……..you going to have to take your happy little ass back to work...……..rumor is they have seen you spending more time at work on PJ than work paid to do...………..gas up that lil' Honda before it goes above $2 a gallon

You're party is over, or you can quit as you posted you would :)

Tracks far more closely with revised CDC stats than the WHO’s or the CDC’s own...but feel free to hate science, I guess.
Making projections aren't science. Science is testing a hypothesis against a control.
This isn't science.it's just making politically-based prognostications.

Nutty Cortez

Dummy (D) NY
"I am thinking"...…………...not going to happen...……..you going to have to take your happy little ass back to work...……..rumor is they have seen you spending more time at work on PJ than work paid to do...………..gas up that lil' Honda before it goes above $2 a gallon

I didn't know they offered Burger King employees work at home opportunities for my leftists. Good on them !

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member

”You are party is over”. LOL

There will be many opportunities for more people to work from home under the new normal. Twitter already announced that workers can work remotely permanently. Others will follow suit It should be interesting.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
Making projections aren't science. Science is testing a hypothesis against a control.
This isn't science.it's just making politically-based prognostications.
Another science lecture from a liberal arts major to an M.S. Chemist, eh? Gotta love leftists...

Science informs even projections, modeling, hypotheses, etc. Scientific Method is then leveraged as we track, measure, test, and adjust based on increasing information inputs.

It is interesting that many Humanities types attribute “science” to those things that align to their preferred narratives and outcomes. In any case, the most up to date information seems to indemnify the Stanford “modeling” and projections over and above those of the CDC, the WHO, and just about every other institution. The data/metrics will continue to be updated, but it appears your predetermined conclusions shall not be.

Another science lecture from a liberal arts major to an M.S. Chemist, eh? Gotta love leftists...

Science informs even projections, modeling, hypotheses, etc. Scientific Method is then leveraged as we track, measure, test, and adjust based on increasing information inputs.

It is interesting that many Humanities types attribute “science” to those things that align to their preferred narratives and outcomes. In any case, the most up to date information seems to indemnify the Stanford “modeling” and projections over and above those of the CDC, the WHO, and just about every other institution. The data/metrics will continue to be updated, but it appears your predetermined conclusions shall not be.
There is very value in data that happened under a very specific set of circumstances in making projections for a very different set of circumstances.