• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Do I have a 2nd Amendment right to bear ANY arm...without restriction or registration

Abatis

Council Member
Do I have a 2nd Amendment right to bear ANY arm...without restriction or registration

Yes or No?
Not such a simple answer, made much more difficult to arrive at by how (legally) clumsy you framed it.

The question isn't "do I have a 2nd Amendment right"????

The question really is, does the federal government possess any power to restrict what arms the individual, law-abiding citizen can keep and bear?

Are you interested in discussing that?

As a side note, "registration" is a separate issue because that power did once exist, (to a very limited degree in the context of militia regulations), but no more.

trapdoor

Governor
That's a bullshit response. You made a statement, I asked a question. In common use by whom?
The simple answer is that SCOTUS has yet to lay down a bright line -- there is no accurate LEGAL answer to your question. Having said that, semiautomatic weapons have been available to the U.S. public since about 1900. They are definitely in common use.

ElGringo

Mayor
You're wrong, they have. I asked a simple question. When you say weapons in common use, what do you mean by that? In common use by whom? It's a simple question and it isn't a trick question.

trapdoor

Governor
You're wrong, they have. I asked a simple question. When you say weapons in common use, what do you mean by that? In common use by whom? It's a simple question and it isn't a trick question.
For me, it means in common use by American citizens. I think you're attempting to lay some sort of semantic trap.

From a legal standpoint, my earlier statement is correct, there is no legal bright line.