• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Do you "promise" not to use presidential signage to get your way?

BRU

Mayor
YES

[video=youtube;seAR1S1Mjkc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAR1S1Mjkc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

NightSwimmer

Senator
President Obama easily surpassed that miserable failure halfway through his first term. You can long for W for the rest of your life, but fortunately, you can't have him back as your President again.

MaryAnne

Governor
President Obama easily surpassed that miserable failure halfway through his first term. You can long for W for the rest of your life, but fortunately, you can't have him back as your President again.
Night,you mean there are still people who would like to see Junior back in the White House again?

Ye Gods!! It is time for a brain transplant!

RickWA

Snagglesooth
That's clearly not what Bru wrote, intimated, hinted at, or implied in any way. In fact, she specifically cited a pledge by a current sitting president which was then intentionally deflected to some imagined pining for Former President Bush.

It's a shame that we can't have good faith discussion on this board. :-(

RickWA

Snagglesooth
It seems to me that this is an extremely uncomfortable (and therefore unwelcome) introduction of subject matter. As a result, earnest, measured discussion of this appears unlikely.

Nobody's perfect - and certainly no politician ever adheres to all pledges made. A simple recognition of this, however, represents a reduction in pedestal platform elevation. Zees eez strictly verboten!

:)

OldGaffer

Governor
Obama was naive in the extreme when he got elected, he had no idea that Wingers only goal was going to be to make him a one term President and block his every move. So he had to do what he had to do to govern and pass the program he was elected on. Simple enough, even a Winger should be able to figure it out.

MaryAnne

Governor
That's clearly not what Bru wrote, intimated, hinted at, or implied in any way. In fact, she specifically cited a pledge by a current sitting president which was then intentionally deflected to some imagined pining for Former President Bush.

Bru really did not write anything,except an insult to Obama. She showed a video of Obama and whined about him making Presidential signings,which really means,"Executive Orders."

When the other side makes a real argument,I respond in kind.This was not one of them.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
You high-fived an off-topic diversion and subject re-direct, but that's your business.

As far as insult goes - there was no insult that I read. Could you please direct me to that?

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
BTW: Obama has issued 145 executive orders ; 15 shy of Bush so far.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/executive_orders.php

at this rate he will easily surpass Bush...
your top post has nothing to do with this, your second post.

a signing statement on legislation is not the same as issuing executive orders.

getting back to your top post, where/when did Pres Obama issue a signing statement where it followed that he negated or changed the legislation congress had passed?

BRU

Mayor
your top post has nothing to do with this, your second post.

a signing statement on legislation is not the same as issuing executive orders.

getting back to your top post, where/when did Pres Obama issue a signing statement where it followed that he negated or changed the legislation congress had passed?

I know the difference between an executive order and a signing statement Julie. I was giving two examples of presidential directives under Obama....but if you remember correctly Bush was criticized for his use of signing statements. Contrast the two presidents. Obama has enjoyed modifying the meaning of enacted laws equally to Bush, and he's on course to pass Bush by the end of his term EASILY. The left screamed about it for years as well as many conservatives for that matter.

Look, Obama campaigned on eliminating signing statements, do you deny that?
But to answer your question:

Are you kidding?
WASHINGTON —
President Obama has issued signing statements claiming the authority to bypass dozens of provisions of bills enacted into law since he took office, provoking mounting criticism by lawmakers from both parties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/us/politics/09signing.html?_r=3&hpw&

BRU

Mayor

When they can't defend; they invent. :)

BRU

Mayor
why?..."when did Pres Obama issue a signing statement where it followed that he negated or changed the legislation congress had passed"

Mytzlplk

Governor
because he's used them sparingly compared to Bush's 750. Obama has issued 18 signing statements as of as of June 4, 2011.[24][25][26][27][28]

perhaps that's why the poor thing decided to introduce the exec order comparison and bump their stupid post to the top again.

Apparently we're all supposed to be outraged under threat of a hypocrisy charge from a knownothing hypocrite somewhere.

BRU

Mayor
I work for a living, I don't sit on a blog all day long like many of you do. When I get home from WORK is when I have the time to respond to what I posted before WORK- Don't like it ...tough shit

correction....20 signing statements, and that's 20 MORE than he said he'd do.
750? bullshit

In an article published on April 30, 2006, the Globe wrote that “President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office.” In a clarification issued May 4, 2006, the Globe note that Bush had not really challenged 750 bills (which would have implied 750 signing statements), but “has claimed the authority to bypass more than 750 statutes, which were provisions contained in about 125 bills.”

and Clinton signed more than him.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/signingstatements.php?year=2012&Submit=DISPLAY#q3

Mytzlplk

Governor
who does but retirees, which I'm not completely yet.

as indicated by our fairly equal post counts.

none of that however, has a damn thing to do with what I posted. The bottom line is and will remain, that you think BHO's trifling number of signing statements is something his supporters should be outraged about, like it's some damaging promise broken or something.

Show me a politician that doesn't break some campaign "promises" and I'll show you one that never made any.

the only "tough shit" around here is the miserable failure of this entire effort on your part.

Don't like it? Try another dodge.

BRU

Mayor
well I'm not retired , Bush didn't sign 750 signing statements, Obama broke his promise and is damn near set to break Bush's record on executive orders.

sorry...you lose.

connieb

Senator
That is what I don't get Rick. Obama is a politician. Like every other Politician - he is a liar. Whether out of ignorance, or naivete or just because he likes to lie doesn't matter. They all do this. Which is why I have never been able to vote "for" anyone. I am only left with voting against the other guy. It always comes down to what you think each of them is actually lying about as far as their platform and how bad you think they will screw you over.

connie