• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Do you think the government should impose a tax on junkfood?

S

segamegadrive

Were learning about how obesity rates are growing higher each day. I think we should put a tax on junk food because people will start buying healthier foods but, at the same time it kind of takes away the "freedom" thing. What do you think? Opinions?

Colorforms

Senator
Were learning about how obesity rates are growing higher each day. I think we should put a tax on junk food because people will start buying healthier foods but, at the same time it kind of takes away the "freedom" thing. What do you think? Opinions?
Like any regressive tax, the poor are going to feel it the worst.

behavioral engineering via taxes never works. higher taxes have had zero effect on alcohol consumption, and people just brew their own moonshine if they have the inclination. high cigarette taxes have resulted in a bonanza for smugglers, counterfeiters, etc. The "I can't breath guy" was selling illegal cigarettes at the time of his demise, something he'd been arrested for dozens of times previously.

just how difficult do you think it would be to make chocolate chip cookies at home, or larder some salt and queso (cheese) on whole grain corn tortillas, anyway?

There's already a tax on it, it's called sales tax.

UPNYA2

Mayor

No.

What food could NOT be deemed to be "junk food" in the opinion of SOMEONE?

As is the problem with any other tax, this would have no end.

connieb

Senator

No, I don't agree with it.

The best way to curb bad behavior is to allow the person to experience the natural consequences, in this case - struggle with poor health and poor income without the "enabling" of publicly provided access to those things.

If we are going to do anything with regards to the restriction, restrict SNAP benefits being used to purchase processed foods. That is a direct public policy which enables the poor eating habits of the poor.

connie

write on

Senator
No, I don't agree with it.

The best way to curb bad behavior is to allow the person to experience the natural consequences, in this case - struggle with poor health and poor income without the "enabling" of publicly provided access to those things.

If we are going to do anything with regards to the restriction, restrict SNAP benefits being used to purchase processed foods. That is a direct public policy which enables the poor eating habits of the poor.

connie
Have you ever noticed that most people living in poverty are overweight? Do you know why that is?

connieb

Senator
Nope. They buy unhealthy fast food because it's cheaper and in larger quantities.

You can't bootstrap your way out of poverty. Just ask Joni Ernst. lol
That is bullshit. Bags of rice are cheap. Bags of dried beans are cheap. Frozen veggies are almost as cheap as canned. They don't want to put the work or effort in needed to make healthy items from scratch which is cheaper in general than buying processed.

connie

Arkady

President
I'd be curious, first, whether it actually makes a difference. There are already states that have higher taxes for junk food, so presumably the data can be teased out about the effectiveness of that. Then it would be a question of balancing the costs and the benefits.

Arkady

President
Like any regressive tax, the poor are going to feel it the worst.
It would be regressive, but that's not necessarily a problem if it came as part of a package of tax reforms that kept the overall balance. For example, if the junk food tax cost the average poor person $200 per year, and it was coupled with a $200 tax credit for the poor, then the average poor person would be no worse off.... and the poor would be in a position where they could actually gain from it, simply by altering their consumption habits.