• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Durham,NC

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Do my fellow left-of-center(LOC) posters here in PJ support this kind of activity? I don't usually copy-n-paste complete articles like this,but I am this time just in case folks don't wanna open the link.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/protestors-topple-confederate-statue-north-carolina

"Protesters Topple Confederate Statue In North Carolina"

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Protesters in North Carolina toppled a nearly century-old statue of a Confederate soldier Monday at a rally against racism.

Activists in Durham brought a ladder up to the statue and used a rope to pull down the Confederate Soldiers Monument that was dedicated in 1924. A diverse crowd of dozens cheered as the statue of a soldier holding a rifle fell to the ground in front of an old courthouse building that now houses local government offices.

Seconds after the monument fell, protesters began kicking the crumpled bronze monument.

“I was a little bit shocked people could come here and come together like that,” said Isaiah Wallace, who is black.

Wallace said he watched as others toppled the statue. He hopes other Confederate symbols elsewhere will follow.

“I feel like this is going to send shockwaves through the country and hopefully they can bring down other racist symbols,” he said.

The Durham protest was in response to a white nationalist rally held in Charlottesville, Virginia, over the weekend. Authorities say one woman was killed Saturday after one of the white nationalists drove his car into a group of peaceful counter-protesters.

Although the violence in Virginia has prompted fresh talk by government officials about bringing down symbols of the Confederacy around the South, North Carolina has a law protecting them. The 2015 law prevents removing such monuments on public property without permission from state officials.

In response to the statue in Durham being torn down, Democratic North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper tweeted: “The racism and deadly violence in Charlottesville is unacceptable but there is a better way to remove these monuments.”

After the statue fell, several dozen protesters congregated on the street in front of the old courthouse. Some took pictures standing or sitting on the toppled soldier, in front of a pedestal inscribed with the words “In Memory of the Boys Who Wore The Gray.” Police cruisers blocked off the street, and officers looked on — some filming. As it got dark, rally participants began to peacefully disperse.

Robin Williamson, who works downtown, arrived in the area about an hour after the statue came down. Williamson, who is black, said he can sympathize with people who are upset with the state of racial discourse in the country.

“People feel that with Donald Trump as leader, racists can be vocal,” he said.

He said that while Confederate monuments have been defaced in other cities, it was surprising to see an entire statue brought down by protesters.

“This is a little bit more intense because they took the whole statue down,” he said.

___

Barbella

Senator
Do my fellow left-of-center(LOC) posters here in PJ support this kind of activity? I don't usually copy-n-paste complete articles like this,but I am this time just in case folks don't wanna open the link.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/protestors-topple-confederate-statue-north-carolina

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Protesters in North Carolina toppled a nearly century-old statue of a Confederate soldier Monday at a rally against racism.

Activists in Durham brought a ladder up to the statue and used a rope to pull down the Confederate Soldiers Monument that was dedicated in 1924. A diverse crowd of dozens cheered as the statue of a soldier holding a rifle fell to the ground in front of an old courthouse building that now houses local government offices.

Seconds after the monument fell, protesters began kicking the crumpled bronze monument.

“I was a little bit shocked people could come here and come together like that,” said Isaiah Wallace, who is black.

Wallace said he watched as others toppled the statue. He hopes other Confederate symbols elsewhere will follow.

“I feel like this is going to send shockwaves through the country and hopefully they can bring down other racist symbols,” he said.

The Durham protest was in response to a white nationalist rally held in Charlottesville, Virginia, over the weekend. Authorities say one woman was killed Saturday after one of the white nationalists drove his car into a group of peaceful counter-protesters.

Although the violence in Virginia has prompted fresh talk by government officials about bringing down symbols of the Confederacy around the South, North Carolina has a law protecting them. The 2015 law prevents removing such monuments on public property without permission from state officials.

In response to the statue in Durham being torn down, Democratic North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper tweeted: “The racism and deadly violence in Charlottesville is unacceptable but there is a better way to remove these monuments.”

After the statue fell, several dozen protesters congregated on the street in front of the old courthouse. Some took pictures standing or sitting on the toppled soldier, in front of a pedestal inscribed with the words “In Memory of the Boys Who Wore The Gray.” Police cruisers blocked off the street, and officers looked on — some filming. As it got dark, rally participants began to peacefully disperse.

Robin Williamson, who works downtown, arrived in the area about an hour after the statue came down. Williamson, who is black, said he can sympathize with people who are upset with the state of racial discourse in the country.

He said that while Confederate monuments have been defaced in other cities, it was surprising to see an entire statue brought down by protesters.

“This is a little bit more intense because they took the whole statue down,” he said.

___
I vehemently disagree with these butt hurt, overly sensitive and too easily offended morons. History cannot be changed, no matter how many statues they destroy.

The whole thing is unspeakably idiotic.

D

Deleted member 21794

Sounds like destruction of public property to me. The value likely makes it a felony. And of course, there's the fact it's a statue. I mean really, who cares?

I am not from the south. However, I have lived in the south for nearly 20 years. My experience here has showed me that southern pride isn't about racism. It's about southern pride. I know people who don't fly Confederate flags that are very racist. I've met and know people who display Confederate flags who aren't racist.

Were the Dukes of Hazzard racist? Of course not. But look how they were removed from a TV channel because of a silly flag.

I was debating this with a friend the other day. He said flying a Confederate flag was as bad as flying a Nazi flag. I beg to differ. The Nazi flag's meaning has far more universal perception as evil. The Confederate flag has simply become a whipping boy for the left.

Barbella

Senator
Sounds like destruction of public property to me. The value likely makes it a felony. And of course, there's the fact it's a statue. I mean really, who cares?

I am not from the south. However, I have lived in the south for nearly 20 years. My experience here has showed me that southern pride isn't about racism. It's about southern pride. I know people who don't fly Confederate flags that are very racist. I've met and know people who display Confederate flags who aren't racist.

Were the Dukes of Hazzard racist? Of course not. But look how they were removed from a TV channel because of a silly flag.

I was debating this with a friend the other day. He said flying a Confederate flag was as bad as flying a Nazi flag. I beg to differ. The Nazi flag's meaning has far more universal perception as evil. The Confederate flag has simply become a whipping boy for the left.
Absolutely correct, well said.

S

Sickofleft

___
I am against the white washing of history to make any group feel better. I think in that crowd you would be hard pressed to find one person who could tell you anything about the civil war other then a patented "It was about slavery".

They know nothing else because they have been taught nothing else.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*

___
Good now arrest those people...But what does this tell us about Democrats?

1. They haven't been this mad since Republicans freed the slaves!

2. They hate looking at themselves in the Statue...it's like a mirror.

3. They just want to start a fight.

4. They are not doing sit-ins like Civil rights champions did.

5. They are nothing like Dr. Kings supporters in the 60's...because they fought democrats...and these are democrats.

6. Apparently these people are in the south...The return of Southern democrats.

7. They still don't have a message

Trump is a Republican and the KKK is a democrat...what's the message here?

8. That what happened 150 plus years ago does matter and your slavery owning democrats need to pay reparations?

9. The democrats did not vote for civil rights and are not civil now.

Drumcollie

I vehemently disagree with these butt hurt, overly sensitive and too easily offended morons. History cannot be changed, no matter how many statues they destroy.

The whole thing is unspeakably idiotic.
These people are destroying the history of their own party. Maybe they should start a new party, since they do not like their own history.

Drumcollie

I am from the south and that racial history you hear about was from the democratic party and those so called " Southern democrats" were just democrats and democrats put up with these "southern democrats" because they wanted the votes. The same like they do today with their support for groups like NAMBLA.

Since I have never supported the democrats, I have no problem if places like Charlottesville wants to sell their statues. They should have sold it to the klan and when they could not pay, the klan would have shut up. These towns could bankrupt the klan by selling off civil war statues, ect...Or even freaking give it to them and make them take the statue and clean up the area, replace with grass or a tree.

Zam-Zam

Senator

___

I'm personally indifferent to whether the statue stays or goes. It's a statue.

That said, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. If a majority of people want it gone, so be it. For a mob to decide for everyone doesn't seem right to me.

Just my two cents.

Arkady

President

___
I see such behavior as counter-productive. Better to resolve these things democratically.... when the majority see what a bad thing such monuments are, then they should come down by law, rather than by the acts of a lawless crowd.

That said, I sure don't feel bad to see such monuments go. A whole bunch of these kinds of monuments were put up in the 1920s by avowed racists as a way of symbolically putting blacks in their place. This wasn't about the war, which had ended almost sixty years earlier. It was about the war of ideas going on in the Jim Crow-era South. That's why the civic leaders of the time were so keen on erecting tributes to losers and traitors. They liked the image of white guys riding off to kill their fellow Americans to keep black people in chains. It's high time those memorials came down.

Last edited:

___
I hope the utter lack of response from your fellow LOC posters, per your request, is giving you the answer you're looking for.

My opinion of the matter, as you would expect, is that this behavior is disgraceful and very reminiscent of the way the Taliban and ISIS have destroyed monuments, art, and antiquities in the lands they control, in a misguided attempt to erase history.

In a better world, the local governments who mostly own these monuments and the land on which they rest, should declare their destruction looting, and deal with the offenders appropriately. Instead we have leftist local politicians and others going on TV and the internet to openly encourage these looters.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I see such behavior as counter-productive. Better to resolve these things democratically.... when the majority see what a bad thing such monuments are, then they should come down by law, rather than by the acts of a lawless crowd.
A response right on point. That's what I was looking for. Thank you sir.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
That said, I sure don't feel bad to see such monuments go. A whole bunch of these kinds of monuments were put up in the 1920s by avowed racists as a way of symbolically putting blacks in their place. This wasn't about the war, which had ended almost sixty years earlier. It was about the war of idea going on in the Jim Crow-era South. That's why the civic leaders of the time were so keen on erecting tributes to losers and traitors. They liked the image of white guys riding off to kill their fellow Americans to keep black people in chains. It's high time those memorials came down.
That's a topic/discussion for another thread.

Arkady

President

I see the Nazi and Confederate flags as very similar. In each case, we're not talking about a flag that had a long political history with many different meanings, like, say the UK or US flags, which flew over atrocities and also great advances for mankind. With the Nazi and Confederate flags, we're talking about two emblems that were each used for a very brief window, each by a viciously racist and militarily aggressive regime, which flamed for a moment in history, before being soundly defeated. And, in each case, after those defeats they became a rallying symbol for assorted racists.

You could argue the Nazi flag is even worse, in light of the attempted genocide, or in light of the fact that, unlike the Confederate flag, there were never even serious pretenses of it later being a symbol for something besides the vile ideas of that failed state. Or you could argue the Confederate flag was worse, since the Nazi flag flew for years before there was war -- an era of significant accomplishments like the economic recovery of Germany and the building of the Autobahns, whereas the Confederate battle flag was, from day one, a symbol for the traitors who were murdering their countrymen in defense of slavery. But, whichever you think is worse, both should be confined to museums and period-piece art, not treated as demented objects of nostalgia, as if they contained some ideological value worth keeping alive.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
We cheered when the Iraqis toppled the statue of Saddam Hussein.

I have no problem with toppling the statue of traitors. The perps will be charged with destruction of property or something similar. That's fine, too.

Better inanimate objects than human beings.....contrary to what Trump has said.

Bugsy McGurk

President

___
Nope. Those who want to see such statutes removed should pursue that goal through the democratic process - they should petition the town council as was done in Charlottesville. Unilaterally tearing down such statutes is unlawful and it provides racists with ammo to attack those who oppose racism.