• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Elderly Parents

MaryAnne

Governor
Charcat, my great Grandfather was a Methodist Minister. He put his faith in The Lord and took off in his Model A! No one would ride with him! I do not think their faith was as strong as his!:eek:

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Senator
Charcat, my great Grandfather was a Methodist Minister. He put his faith in The Lord and took off in his Model A! No one would ride with him! I do not think their faith was as strong as his!:eek:
MaryAnne............ I want to die like my grandpa did..........in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror...............like the passengers in his car did.

Okay. That's a joke but.................

astatic.someecards.com_someecards_usercards_MjAxMy1hMjQ0NzBjOTBlZGViN2Qy.png

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Well aren't you all a bunch of cute ones. If I ever heard my Son talk about me like that he would not be standing.

Of course there are many older people who become senile, take too many drugs,drink from the loneliness when losing a spouse.

The condescending," we stop in as often as we can," was one of the worst.

I have excellent reflexes, never had an accident that I caused. I was once rear ended by a young boy,but was lucky. Had no damage. And was hit in the side coming home from work one night by a woman, who decided to turn left from a right lane. Thank goodness I had witnesses who were amazed. The Policeman walked me to my new car and asked if I was OK. The woman went to jail. She was on drugs

I really find little sympathy for older people,and like Red Cloud,some of us are in better health than the group of fatties we have to look at,that are 40 years younger than us!

Some old farts can run rings around you young whippersnappers! I thought I would throw that cliche in to show how offensive this whole thread is towards those who devoted many years of their life to you and are now referred to as,"Old Farts!" There is nothing endearing about that expression! It is as offensive as the N word!
Ma, "rear ended by a young boy but was lucky".OMG.I couldn't NOT post that......sorry.it just struck my funny bone.......all else ya said is rite-on.♥

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
OMG.......this has been a very good interesting thread..........Mom turns 86 first week of next month........we tried taking her keys couple years back......warning.....do not try that with a red headed woman.......then one day she decided she'd drive down by my house, met a car which she couldn't actually see (eyes) and 'prayed to God if she could get her car home she'd never drive again' and hasn't! Dad will be 89 end of next month, actually Today in great health (hell, he turned 21 in a POW camp in Germany)......taking his keys may be a tough job.......Hopefully it's a LONG time before I need deal with that.......Hope he lives to be 110 and has to take MY keys away.......♥

The question of the day is.........How in the hell do you get the car keys away from a cantankerous old codger who refuses to admit that he is incapable of driving?

It's a toughie I have even sat him down with a nurse practicioner who laid it out for him what he is capable and not capable of doing.
This isn't just a personal evaluation but was based on the results of testing.

And it just ticks him off
This is one of those hateful things that have to be done. Bottom Line, you piss him off. In 2003 some elderly relatives of mine had their 2nd accident in six months. Both times, by the grace of God, no one else was hurt, but this time both of them were seriously hurt. Only the husband drove so they both wanted to run right out and get another car, blah, blah. I HATED making this decision for someone else, but I just told them if they did that I would contact the state elder care and get a hearing to have them declared ineligible to drive. In this last year my husband had to face the same reality. Good Luck.

Thank all of you for the advice.
Miss Happy, I think I have print of your avatar I am going up to attic to dig it out and see
It would be mighty odd if you have a print of my avatar in your attic, sir, since the original artwork is of me and by me and is currently sitting unfinished (I haven't decided what else it needs yet!) on the easel upstairs in the studio and the only photograph that exists of it is the one on my computer that I used for the avatar!

I would be interested in what is in your attic, however. It's always interesting to know who else has had a similar idea....

It would be mighty odd if you have a print of my avatar in your attic, sir, since the original artwork is of me and by me and is currently sitting unfinished (I haven't decided what else it needs yet!) on the easel upstairs in the studio and the only photograph that exists of it is the one on my computer that I used for the avatar!

I would be interested in what is in your attic, however. It's always interesting to know who else has had a similar idea....
Now that you mention it I think the hair is longer and a little bit lighter color. I will post a pic of it when
N I get a chance as the similarity is in the style of the artists rendition

MaryAnne

Governor
My Son would not dare try that on me! He knows better.:)

He might talk to me when the time comes,and I hope I would be capable of listening.

His MIL is beginning to hear they do not like her driving,but she has heart problems. Quite a bit older than me,you should have heard her when they convinced her to move and get rid of her stuff! She is happy as a lark,now. No house work,everything is furnished,she can travel,go places every day.

Now I am off for Dinner and to enjoy a famous Gospel group.

Have a wonderful Labor Day and stay safe.

ElGringo

Mayor
Labor Day...ugh! My youngest just left for college two weeks ago and now they're all coming back again for the extended weekend. Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!

We're never going to have the house to ourselves :(

MaryAnne

Governor
Labor Day...ugh! My youngest just left for college two weeks ago and now they're all coming back again for the extended weekend. Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!

We're never going to have the house to ourselves :(

They never go away completely until you pass the torch!

My Son and his wife have a nice,big house with a couple of acres. Her big family loves that! I do,too! Ergo ,torch passed,but it will take you a few years!

I had my turn, my extended family loved coming to my house.:)

Have to drive 40 miles,but it is worth it. They love it!

It has been tough couple of weeks dad finally accepted that he can't do what he used to be able to do. He went through a brief period of depression we got him moved into a pretty swanky old folks place includes meals and shuttle to the store. It's small apt about 500 sq, ft. But it is better than some of the cubby holes we looked at. He has been there 5 days and finally seems to be adjusting to his limitations . It's pricey but we should be able to keep him there for 3 years with money from selling the house. We will cross that bridge when the money runs out as he still feels independent and there are people with the same life issues he has and have something common to talk about. And he can brag about his grandkids

Gramps

Mayor
You don't until he (or she) sees the light. My dad would not quit driving when he was a hazard to himself and everyone else -- until he ended up in a rest home. But, I learned from his errors. When I turned 84 I hung up my keys and parked the limo and never drove again (that was three years ago) and have few regrets. Oh, my license is still good until next year when it will become a conversation piece.

Ironically, just two weeks after I stopped driving an elderly lady who wouldn't went the wrong way on I-25, killing 2 gals as a result of her hitting their car head-on. You've got'ta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold em'. Perhaps a "scared stiff" program for golden agers might help.

gramps

The question of the day is.........How in the hell do you get the car keys away from a cantankerous old codger who refuses to admit that he is incapable of driving?

It's a toughie I have even sat him down with a nurse practicioner who laid it out for him what he is capable and not capable of doing.
This isn't just a personal evaluation but was based on the results of testing.

And it just ticks him off

Gramps

Mayor
On the chance you do not know and if your dad is a veteran there are subsidies to help pay his way in a retirement community. Look into it,

gramps

It has been tough couple of weeks dad finally accepted that he can't do what he used to be able to do. He went through a brief period of depression we got him moved into a pretty swanky old folks place includes meals and shuttle to the store. It's small apt about 500 sq, ft. But it is better than some of the cubby holes we looked at. He has been there 5 days and finally seems to be adjusting to his limitations . It's pricey but we should be able to keep him there for 3 years with money from selling the house. We will cross that bridge when the money runs out as he still feels independent and there are people with the same life issues he has and have something common to talk about. And he can brag about his grandkids

MaryAnne

Governor
On the chance you do not know and if your dad is a veteran there are subsidies to help pay his way in a retirement community. Look into it,

gramps[/quote
Gramps is right! A friend who has Alzheimer's was told that after she spent her money disown to $80,000 the Government will chip in $700 a month. You might want to check that out,Lupe. Her Husband was in WW2.