• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Estimate of excess deaths if Republicans get their way.

BobbyT

Governor
Next to none.
I don't have a smart phone, by choice. I have a flip-phone (really!) with no data plan. The primary reason is that I can't take my phone to work, as I work in a SCIF. However, I have a computer with Internet access at work (though can't go to many sites (e.g., this one) as they are blocked by the Air Force). And I have a laptop and a tablet at home. So in reality, since I live 8 minutes from where I work, I am only without the Internet for approximately 16 minutes a day. If I didn't not have access to the Internet, it would certainly negatively impact my life so I understand why smart phones are a necessity for those who don't otherwise have Internet access. There's almost no other way to find a job, for example, as most companies only advertise their jobs on-line, and only accept resumes posted that way.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I don't have a smart phone, by choice. I have a flip-phone (really!) with no data plan. The primary reason is that I can't take my phone to work, as I work in a SCIF. However, I have a computer with Internet access at work (though can't go to many sites (e.g., this one) as they are blocked by the Air Force). And I have a laptop and a tablet at home. So in reality, since I live 8 minutes from where I work, I am only without the Internet for approximately 16 minutes a day. If I didn't not have access to the Internet, it would certainly negatively impact my life so I understand why smart phones are a necessity for those who don't otherwise have Internet access. There's almost no other way to find a job, for example, as most companies only advertise their jobs on-line, and only accept resumes posted that way.
Thanks for proving I was correct and Trump is your Boss................

There are many ways to find jobs without Smart Phones......signs at business all over say HIRING.........no phone is needed, just walk in and apply

Trump budget is going to make those that can work and on welfare do exactly that........apply........the freebies are over and why libs so constipated

Ah, you work for the Trump administration!

Arkady

President
That's in fact what I was questioning. If your chances of dying go down if you have health insurance, then your chances of living forever must go up if you have insurance...
No. Obviously that's illogical. We're talking about annual mortality rates. Over a long enough time-line, everyone's mortality reaches 100%. But those with health care have lower annual mortality rates, causing them to live longer on average.

Arkady

President
No partisan can be for the truth as both "sides" bend the rules and the truths their way. But as a partisan you can sure convince yourself that you are always right.
I'm not always right. But the reason I'm right so very much more often than you is that I choose my beliefs based on the evidence, rather than entrenching into my prejudices. When I'm wrong, I alter my beliefs, meaning I run a lot fewer "wrong streaks" than you.

connieb

Senator
Next to none.
Bull, my husband doesn't have a smart phone. My parents don't have them. All by choice. I don't have one for personal use. I have one for work and if I had to pay the bill myself, I also would not have one. By choice. There are LOTs of people who do not have smartphones by choice.

EatTheRich

President
Thanks for proving I was correct and Trump is your Boss................

There are many ways to find jobs without Smart Phones......signs at business all over say HIRING.........no phone is needed, just walk in and apply

Trump budget is going to make those that can work and on welfare do exactly that........apply........the freebies are over and why libs so constipated
There are still more unemployed people than job openings ... that hardware store with the "help wanted" sign isn't going to hire every unemployed person.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
There are still more unemployed people than job openings ... that hardware store with the "help wanted" sign isn't going to hire every unemployed person.
Oh I know..........they should work in Book Store as you............YOU are your biggest problem boy, not other people

EatTheRich

President
Oh I know..........they should work in Book Store as you............YOU are your biggest problem boy, not other people
You seem to be the one blaming other people (welfare recipients, liberals, me, etc.) while I am over here talking about ways to work together.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm not always right. But the reason I'm right so very much more often than you is that I choose my beliefs based on the evidence, rather than entrenching into my prejudices. When I'm wrong, I alter my beliefs, meaning I run a lot fewer "wrong streaks" than you.
Its pretty much just opinions here so I'm not sure you are right and I am wrong.

Name a belief you altered?

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
So 63 million people can't afford health insurance? If those 63 million can't work, and don't have cell phones and cars then I agree with you. I would say the number that can't afford health insurance is much lower than 63 million they just choose to spend their money elsewhere.
What Sn-Arkady is saying is that at least 63 million people in America did not have jobs under Obama.

Arkady

President
Its pretty much just opinions here so I'm not sure you are right and I am wrong.

Name a belief you altered?
I used to think that solar energy and wind energy were not realistic ways to power the majority of the global economy, and thus that we'd need to deploy a whole lot more nuclear in order to move away from unsustainable levels of carbon emissions. I no longer believe that. These days solar and on-shore wind are extremely cheap, and the only remaining hurdle is storage, in order to even out supply. Progress on that remaining hurdle is happening remarkably quickly, suggesting it's on a similar path to what took solar from a hippie pipe dream to a realistic way to replace most fossil fuel use in just a couple decades. So, at this point, although I have no particular issue with nuclear power as a significant portion in our energy portfolio, I'm no longer an active booster of nuclear, because I don't think it's needed.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*
Incorrect. Try rereading.
Try re-writing...I know what you said wasn't what you meant but what you said was what was translated from what you wrote even though what you wrote was not what you wanted to say even though what you said was what I wrote.

If Trumpcare passes, there will be about 23 million more uninsured people, by the end of the decade, than would otherwise be uninsured. An earlier study found that lack of insurance correlated with about 45,000 deaths annually.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/09/new-study-finds-45000-deaths-annually-linked-to-lack-of-health-coverage/

At the time of that study, there were about 46 million uninsured, total. So, doing a bit of back-of-the-envelope math, that's about one extra death per year for every 1,022 uninsured people. Thus, driving the number who aren't insured up by 23 million would be anticipated to kill about 22,500 people per year.

To put that in terms of the kinds of deaths right-wingers actually care about, imagine if instead of dying statistical medical deaths from poor public policy, those people were dying in terrorist attacks. In that case, it would be like suffering a 9/11-magnitude attack every month and a half or so. Picture the Republicans hijacking planes and flying them into skyscrapers every month or two, year in and year out, and you've got a view of what this would look like for America, in terms of the impact on mortality.
Don't forget. We're also going to throw Granny off the cliff.

Arkady

President
Try re-writing...I know what you said wasn't what you meant but what you said was what was translated from what you wrote even though what you wrote was not what you wanted to say even though what you said was what I wrote.
Try rereading.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
No. Obviously that's illogical. We're talking about annual mortality rates. Over a long enough time-line, everyone's mortality reaches 100%. But those with health care have lower annual mortality rates, causing them to live longer on average.
So, as with "climate change," we just have to take it on faith that you guys are all knowing with respect to how the natural processes will play out in the future. Count me skeptical...

Arkady

President
So, as with "climate change," we just have to take it on faith that you guys are all knowing with respect to how the natural processes will play out in the future. Count me skeptical...
No. What you're taking on faith is the opposite. What the smarter people are calling for, in each case, is the opposite of faith: the operation of rational thought based on an accumulation of real-world data.

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
No. What you're taking on faith is the opposite. What the smarter people are calling for, in each case, is the opposite of faith: the operation of rational thought based on an accumulation of real-world data.
No, quite frankly, people die. The climate changes. And the left has weaponized natural processes in its pursuit of cultural and economic Marxism. The "smarter people" see through your histrionics...