• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Even liberals plead obama- enough with the golf already!!

Dino

Russian Asset
Former vice president Dick Cheney, writing in the Wall Street Journal with his daughter Liz, complained: “Terrorists take control of more territory and resources than ever before in history, and he goes golfing.” House intelligence committee Chairman Mike Rogers gave a TV interview asking Obama to “please come back from the golf course” and find an Iraq solution.

Is golf really so important that Obama is willing to handicap his political standing? Evidently so. On Tuesday evening, Obama hosted Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Davis Love III, Ernie Els and other pro golfers in the East Room of the White House at a reception for the 2013 Presidents Cup players. “Last year was the second time I’ve been honorary chairman of the Presidents Cup. The United States won both times. I’m just saying,” Obama joked.

I was one of the many who had fun with George W. Bush’s classic tee shot in 2002: “I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers. Thank you. Now watch this drive.” But as The Post’s Colby Itkowitz noted, Bush hung up his spikes after the Iraq invasion. (He busied himself with other leisure pursuits, such as clearing brush.) CBS News’s Mark Knoller, the unofficial statistician of presidential activities, reports that Bush played golf only 24 times while in the White House; Obama is up to 177 and now has a round-a-week habit.
The image problem isn’t from leisure activity per se but the type of leisure activity. A majority of Americans now believes that Obama doesn’t understand their problems, and images of him playing golf — perceived, fairly or not, as a rich man’s game — confirms this out-of-touch reputation.
This is similar to the problem that dogged Mitt Romney, and now Hillary Clinton. The Post’s Philip Rucker this week noted that influential Democrats are concerned that her “rarefied, cloistered lifestyle could jeopardize the Democratic Party’s historic edge with the middle class.” Images of Obama lining up his putt undermine his attempts to play the populist, which he has done this year on unemployment insurance, the minimum wage and income-inequality.

The game has driven another wedge between the president and White House reporters who, during their turns on pool duty, chronicle with envy his weekly outings with friends and aides.
President Barack Obama uses a little body english to make a putt on the ninth green during his golf match at Mid-Pacific County Club in Kailua, Hawaii. (Chris Carlson/AP)
“Beautiful day for hitting the links,” the Washington Examiner’s Susan Crabtree wrote from Fort Belvoir. “Unfortunately pool is headed to the base rec center for the duration.”
“Looked like a nice place to play golf,” wrote the Houston Chronicle’s Kevin Diaz from the “exclusive” Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Gainesville, “at least from the maintenance shed where pool spent the day.”
Obama has replaced basketball with golf as his “go-to sport,” in part to avoid injury, Politico reports. At a White House event on sports concussions last month, the president spoke of the therapeutic benefits of his time on the links: “When I need to relax and clear my head, I turn to sports, whether it’s a pick-up basketball game . . . or more sedate pastimes like golf, or watching ‘SportsCenter.’ ”
Democrats probably wish, for the sake of appearance, that Obama would devote more time to ESPN and less to golf. But if the optics of manicured greens and country clubs worry Democrats, they should consider themselves lucky he didn’t take up polo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-milbank-obamas-political-bogey-on-the-golf-course/2014/06/24/6111e3b0-fbd1-11e3-8176-f2c941cf35f1_story.html
” But as The Post’s Colby Itkowitz noted, Bush hung up his spikes after the Iraq invasion. (He busied himself with other leisure pursuits, such as clearing brush.) CBS News’s Mark Knoller, the unofficial statistician of presidential activities, reports that Bush played golf only 24 times while in the White House; Obama is up to 177 and now has a round-a-week habit.
The image problem isn’t from leisure activity per se but the type of leisure activity. A majority of Americans now believes that Obama doesn’t understand their problems, and images of him playing golf — perceived, fairly or not, as a rich man’s game — confirms this out-of-touch reputation.
This is similar to the problem that dogged Mitt Romney, and now Hillary Clinton. The Post’s Philip Rucker this week noted that influential Democrats are concerned that her “rarefied, cloistered lifestyle could jeopardize the Democratic Party’s historic edge with the middle class.” Images of Obama lining up his putt undermine his attempts to play the populist, which he has done this year on unemployment insurance, the minimum wage and income-inequality.
Obama seems to reject the idea that he can iron out serious business while playing, dismissing the notion that “if you just play golf with John Boehner more . . . then we’d get more stuff done.” Yet the golf-mad president has tried to use the game as a driver of diplomacy. He welcomed New Zealand Prime Minister John Key to the White House last week by recalling that the two leaders played in Hawaii and that “John’s son, Max, can outdrive both of us by a substantial amount.”
[iframe style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" id=google_ads_iframe_/701/wpni.opinions_7 height=250 marginHeight=0 src="javascript:'
The game has driven another wedge between the president and White House reporters who, during their turns on pool duty, chronicle with envy his weekly outings with friends and aides.

President Barack Obama uses a little body english to make a putt on the ninth green during his golf match at Mid-Pacific County Club in Kailua, Hawaii. (Chris Carlson/AP)
“Beautiful day for hitting the links,” the Washington Examiner’s Susan Crabtree wrote from Fort Belvoir. “Unfortunately pool is headed to the base rec center for the duration.”
“Looked like a nice place to play golf,” wrote the Houston Chronicle’s Kevin Diaz from the “exclusive” Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Gainesville, “at least from the maintenance shed where pool spent the day.”
Obama has replaced basketball with golf as his “go-to sport,” in part to avoid injury, Politico reports. At a White House event on sports concussions last month, the president spoke of the therapeutic benefits of his time on the links: “When I need to relax and clear my head, I turn to sports, whether it’s a pick-up basketball game . . . or more sedate pastimes like golf, or watching ‘SportsCenter.’ ”
Democrats probably wish, for the sake of appearance, that Obama would devote more time to ESPN and less to golf. But if the optics of manicured greens and country clubs worry Democrats, they should consider themselves lucky he didn’t take up polo.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Bush: 24 rounds of golf.
Obama: 177
No one can ever touch GWB when it comes to slacking off. And he did it after the USA suffered the worst terrorist attack in history, and throughout two wars. The fact that he switched from golf to other forms of slacking off matters not to sane people. Obama playing golf an average of once every two weeks for recreation does not hold a candle to GWB's largely absentee presidency.

And nothing could ever display GWB's true narcissism and sociopathy more than that video clip. A true classic!

Bo-4

Senator
Do you EVER read a top-post?
Ya lost me with the first paragraph. But no, i could care less whether Obama plays a round of golf every other week or so.. in fact, i encourage it.

Yeah, Bush stopped golfing after he botched the 911 memo and spent his spare time clearin' brush on the ranch. What the hell is the difference?

Bo-4

Senator
Yeah, read the TP. It claims that some unidentified WH reporters envy Obama when he plays golf.

The GOP version of "an issue."

;-)
White House reporters get their panties all up in a wad when Obama doesn't allow them to ride along in 100 golf carts with their camera men.

Never seen such mindless yammering.. oh wait, actually this is par for the course!

;-)

Bugsy McGurk

President
White House reporters get their panties all up in a wad when Obama doesn't allow them to ride along in 100 golf carts with their camera men.

Never seen such mindless yammering.. oh wait, actually this is par for the course!

;-)
If Obama owned a "ranch" and he wasted time "clearing brush" and riding a bicycle all would be well in the world.

;-)

Bugsy McGurk

President
Especially if he wore a ten gallon hat and packed around a sidearm to shoot at varmints! :D
And it would be good if he could develop a GWB-like strut when he walked, holding his shoulders out and having the back of his hands facing forward.

;-)

Arkady

President
Former vice president Dick Cheney, writing in the Wall Street Journal with his daughter Liz, complained: “Terrorists take control of more territory and resources than ever before in history, and he goes golfing.” House intelligence committee Chairman Mike Rogers gave a TV interview asking Obama to “please come back from the golf course” and find an Iraq solution.
When a guy has his finger on the nuclear button, it gives me a little peace of mind to see him out in the fresh air, getting some exercise, with whatever activity decompresses him, whether it's golfing, jogging, "clearing brush," or horseback riding. That said, I wouldn't want Obama, like his disgraced predecessor, setting records for vacation time. The presidency is a full-time job, and I'm glad we again have a leader who treats it as such. But neither do I want him working so much that he loses his sense of perspective. Obama seems to strike a nice balance there.

Dino

Russian Asset
When a guy has his finger on the nuclear button, it gives me a little peace of mind to see him out in the fresh air, getting some exercise, with whatever activity decompresses him, whether it's golfing, jogging, "clearing brush," or horseback riding. That said, I wouldn't want Obama, like his disgraced predecessor, setting records for vacation time. The presidency is a full-time job, and I'm glad we again have a leader who treats it as such. But neither do I want him working so much that he loses his sense of perspective. Obama seems to strike a nice balance there.
He doesn't come off to me as a hard worker blowing off steam. He seems a lucky lottery winner placed in a cushy job where responsibilities and accountability give way to recreation and meeting famous wealthy people.
Rather than kiss ass and condone such a lax attitude and the weak expected results, I would demand a more professional public attitude. There's sufficient lefty doormats still out there- even if Dana Milbank acknowledges their patience is wearing thin.

Fast Eddy

Mayor

The only finger on button Obama has is the race card eject.
If he is not golfing he is in the plane flying to give a fund raising speech for the Democrats. The man hardly ever works. I think he does what he does to stay busy so he doesn't have to run a meeting, I don't think he knows how and is capable.

Ya lost me with the first paragraph. But no, i could care less whether Obama plays a round of golf every other week or so.. in fact, i encourage it.

Yeah, Bush stopped golfing after he botched the 911 memo and spent his spare time clearin' brush on the ranch. What the hell is the difference?
Obama = Bush? Again??

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
No one can ever touch GWB when it comes to slacking off. And he did it after the USA suffered the worst terrorist attack in history, and throughout two wars. The fact that he switched from golf to other forms of slacking off matters not to sane people. Obama playing golf an average of once every two weeks for recreation does not hold a candle to GWB's largely absentee presidency.

And nothing could ever display GWB's true narcissism and sociopathy more than that video clip. A true classic!
I prefer golf to clearing brush, but not by much.

Spamature

President

I wish the full pre Katrina briefing could be appreciated for bush's demeanor. It was right before he was set to board the plane for his annual month of slacking off. He was like a kid in class right before the school bell signaling the start of summer vacation. You could see he was already out of there and barely listening to the expert describe how this storm would possible turn major US metropolis into the next City of Atlantis.

Arkady

President
He doesn't come off to me as a hard worker blowing off steam. He seems a lucky lottery winner placed in a cushy job where responsibilities and accountability give way to recreation and meeting famous wealthy people.
I don't doubt for a moment that's how he comes across to you. And it simply doesn't matter to you that he's demonstrably taking significantly less time off than average, and vastly less time off than his predecessor:

As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total. He's spending this vacation in Martha's Vineyard with his family.

At the same point in his presidency — Aug. 13, 2005 — George W. Bush had made 51 visits to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas, totaling all or part of 335 days....
You have a certain vision of Obama and any real-world facts are beside the point. He's as lazy as he is uppity, and you're not going to let reality intrude on that vision.