• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Everything Changes Except for the Posters

Cicero

Mayor
Well it's been years since last I visited PoliticalJack with the intention of doing a bit of posting and I find everything changed to the extent that I'm not certain that I can get comfortable posting here again. It's not the old names that throw me off. To be honest very few of you ring any sort of memory bell for me anymore. I mean I know that I once posted back and forth with a good many of you but that's about it.

Hell, I've actually had to look at my control panel to see which ones of you I was 'friends' with years ago. That's not a mark against you, by the way, that's just the way my aging brain works nowadays. Out of sight, out of mind. Ah the joys of racing toward sixty.

It's the altered format that gets to me. Unless I am more at sea than usual there's no longer any way to create a hybrid view of a thread. It's just straight in line or nothing. Shudder! Why would PJ have switched to such a restricted format? Ah well, no doubt that change was made years ago. That's how long I've been away.

Do I actually want to post here again? I don't really know. My regular stomping grounds have begun to irritate me. But perhaps it's this new presidential cycle. It's too damn early for things to already be this damn crazy. I mean people are seriously talking about Donald Trump as a viable presidential candidate; the man who is famous for melting down in mid campaign. Then we have the Queen of Corruption, Hillary Clinton and at least three different government organizations getting serious about the e-mail scandal with her. Really? This campaign cycle has barely fluttered off the ground and yet already there is a hurricane of controversies and drama. I don't know if my poor ol' heart can take it; fun though it has been so far.

Yeah I think I will try this for a while and see if I can make myself adjust to this outrageously limited posting format. Who knows? I might even manage to talk myself into liking it.

Jen

Senator
Well it's been years since last I visited PoliticalJack with the intention of doing a bit of posting and I find everything changed to the extent that I'm not certain that I can get comfortable posting here again. It's not the old names that throw me off. To be honest very few of you ring any sort of memory bell for me anymore. I mean I know that I once posted back and forth with a good many of you but that's about it.

Hell, I've actually had to look at my control panel to see which ones of you I was 'friends' with years ago. That's not a mark against you, by the way, that's just the way my aging brain works nowadays. Out of sight, out of mind. Ah the joys of racing toward sixty.

It's the altered format that gets to me. Unless I am more at sea than usual there's no longer any way to create a hybrid view of a thread. It's just straight in line or nothing. Shudder! Why would PJ have switched to such a restricted format? Ah well, no doubt that change was made years ago. That's how long I've been away.

Do I actually want to post here again? I don't really know. My regular stomping grounds have begun to irritate me. But perhaps it's this new presidential cycle. It's too damn early for things to already be this damn crazy. I mean people are seriously talking about Donald Trump as a viable presidential candidate; the man who is famous for melting down in mid campaign. Then we have the Queen of Corruption, Hillary Clinton and at least three different government organizations getting serious about the e-mail scandal with her. Really? This campaign cycle has barely fluttered off the ground and yet already there is a hurricane of controversies and drama. I don't know if my poor ol' heart can take it; fun though it has been so far.

Yeah I think I will try this for a while and see if I can make myself adjust to this outrageously limited posting format. Who knows? I might even manage to talk myself into liking it.
Here is a bit of an update of things Cicero. Whether or not you remember me is irrelevant. Time goes on.

There is no hybrid viewing option. One of our owners (I can't remember which one) said that "hybrid is old stuff, we want new". "You'll love it" he said. Yeah. It was a stupid viewpoint, but he went ahead with this ZenForo thing with no hybrid.

You can set alerts so that if someone quotes you you will get an alert of it and those alerts are at the upper right hand corner (under the Alert button) and easy to see. Just replying to a message automatically quotes who the reply is made to so the alerts are consistent. That's the best it does and no, it's not as good as hybrid.

I am not posting here much these days because .......... well..........I'd rather not say. But let's just speak in generalities and say that the same haters are present, so some of us can't make even a nice post without those haters accusing us of stupid stuff and making the post to be something it's not. I've found at least one other board that has posters who aren't so agitated all the time.

I don't know what board you are coming from, but I've found a few loser boards out there. I appreciate a board where other boards can be mentioned. This one isn't one of those so I'll quit before I commit a sin and get my post deleted.

I hope you'll stay. I remember your posts as being good to read and I appreciated being in the group of first PJ moderators with you.

Jen

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member

Are you the same Cicero with 30,000+ posts at Political Hotwire?

Cicero

Mayor
Here is a bit of an update of things Cicero. Whether or not you remember me is irrelevant. Time goes on.

. . .
I hope you'll stay. I remember your posts as being good to read and I appreciated being in the group of first PJ moderators with you.

Jen
Hello Jen, and yes, of course, I remember you with fondness. I should hope that at least I recall my fellow moderators. Those were interesting times, eh? I'll PM you with the address of my alternative posting digs.

Thanks for the information about the Alerts. I think I will be hanging in here for a while just to see if I can get comfortable with this posting format. I don't necessarily like new and different but since that's the nature of life in this nation I find it's best not to go out of my way to avoid it either. Sort of like facing a swim in ice water. It's best to just plunge in and then swim like hell for the bank on the opposite side.

Jen

Senator
Hello Jen, and yes, of course, I remember you with fondness. I should hope that at least I recall my fellow moderators. Those were interesting times, eh? I'll PM you with the address of my alternative posting digs.

Thanks for the information about the Alerts. I think I will be hanging in here for a while just to see if I can get comfortable with this posting format. I don't necessarily like new and different but since that's the nature of life in this nation I find it's best not to go out of my way to avoid it either. Sort of like facing a swim in ice water. It's best to just plunge in and then swim like hell for the bank on the opposite side.
Taking the plunge is always the best option.
So do it.
Maybe your posting here will even prod me into coming back a little more regularly.
This posting format isn't terrible once you get used to it. It's crisp and clean if nothing else.

Those times were 'interesting' to say the least.

Cicero

Mayor
Taking the plunge is always the best option.
So do it.
Maybe your posting here will even prod me into coming back a little more regularly.
This posting format isn't terrible once you get used to it. It's crisp and clean if nothing else.

Those times were 'interesting' to say the least.

Ha! Those times were a bloody nightmare! That is I liked my fellow moderators but the job itself back then was -- for me anyway -- just one huge headache.

In the other place I've been posting at I was asked to go through their apprenticeship program (seriously an apprenticeship program) so that I could qualify to be one of their moderators. I thanked them kindly but then added that I'd rather chew my own toenails than become a moderator again.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

Are you the same Cicero from Texas, Houston, I think?

Cicero

Mayor
Are you the same Cicero from Texas, Houston, I think?

Yes JD, the same. It's been a looooooooong time since we posted together on the now long since defunct The Fray. Slate e-zine's format totally sucks nowadays, by the way. I no longer even bother stopping by there anymore to toss tomatoes at them.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Yes JD, the same. It's been a looooooooong time since we posted together on the now long since defunct The Fray. Slate e-zine's format totally sucks nowadays, by the way. I no longer even bother stopping by there anymore to toss tomatoes at them.
We are interminably linked to the Fray because we were made Star Posters at the same time. You were one of the few opposition political posters with whom I could have an extensive conversation without going ballistic. Are you still teaching, professoring or Instructoring?

Cicero

Mayor
We are interminably linked to the Fray because we were made Star Posters at the same time. You were one of the few opposition political posters with whom I could have an extensive conversation without going ballistic. Are you still teaching, professoring or Instructoring?
I'm mostly retired nowadays and am turning into a landscape painter. It turns out that I had all this talent that I was unaware of possessing. A couple of years ago I turned an unused bedroom into an art studio, set up some easels and Bob's your uncle. Go figure; I spent about twenty-five years trying to turn myself into a novelist -- and bounced -- and then a couple of years ago I just tried my hand at painting and as it happens . . . I am damn good at it.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I'm mostly retired nowadays and am turning into a landscape painter. It turns out that I had all this talent that I was unaware of possessing. A couple of years ago I turned an unused bedroom into an art studio, set up some easels and Bob's your uncle. Go figure; I spent about twenty-five years trying to turn myself into a novelist -- and bounced -- and then a couple of years ago I just tried my hand at painting and as it happens . . . I am damn good at it.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood, I've heard it said. Good for you, I'm happy for you.

Jen

Senator
Ha! Those times were a bloody nightmare! That is I liked my fellow moderators but the job itself back then was -- for me anyway -- just one huge headache.

In the other place I've been posting at I was asked to go through their apprenticeship program (seriously an apprenticeship program) so that I could qualify to be one of their moderators. I thanked them kindly but then added that I'd rather chew my own toenails than become a moderator again.
Well, I certainly don't dwell on those days of moderating. That's for sure. An apprenticeship program? Now THAT in itself sounds like a nightmare.

Cicero

Mayor
Well, I certainly don't dwell on those days of moderating. That's for sure. An apprenticeship program? Now THAT in itself sounds like a nightmare.

Indeed. Not only being an unpaid volunteer but expected to have to pass a course in order to be an unpaid volunteer? But still no doubt their heart is in the right place.

Jen

Senator
Indeed. Not only being an unpaid volunteer but expected to have to pass a course in order to be an unpaid volunteer? But still no doubt their heart is in the right place.
Ahhhh................but we were here in the heyday of Political Jack when they paid us just to post here. I have a beautiful set of coffee cups in my cupboard paid for by PJ. Just saying.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

Hey. Good to see you again you old contrarian you. Yeah,it was a bit tough getting used to not having the threaded view but you get used to it. Reply alerts and reply quotes help.

60 is in the window for me too. My priorities and perspective have changed since those early days in the Fray. My posting habits have changed too,especially recently. Been reading and posting a lot in another forum and on another topic that is mostly non-political.

If you stick around a while and check out a few profile pages,you'll see a lot of posters who became members since your prior time here. Some have moved on. You can find some in 2-3 other forums. Stick around and give it a try in this election cycle.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but weren't you a Hillary supporter in the 2007-2008 Dem nominating campaign?

Cicero

Mayor
Hey. Good to see you again you old contrarian you. Yeah,it was a bit tough getting used to not having the threaded view but you get used to it. Reply alerts and reply quotes help.

60 is in the window for me too. My priorities and perspective have changed since those early days in the Fray. My posting habits have changed too,especially recently. Been reading and posting a lot in another forum and on another topic that is mostly non-political.

If you stick around a while and check out a few profile pages,you'll see a lot of posters who became members since your prior time here. Some have moved on. You can find some in 2-3 other forums. Stick around and give it a try in this election cycle.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but weren't you a Hillary supporter in the 2007-2008 Dem nominating campaign?
Oh yes, I was quite the Hillary Supporter in 2008, even going PUMA after she lost the primaries. But I wasn't pro Hillary because I was under any illusion that she was a good person. I simply figured that of the Dems left standing in the primaries that she would be the most overall competent.

But that was then and this is now and with Biden, Gore, Kerry as huge players potentially ready to toss their hats into the ring someone like Hillary who's now being investigated by at least three separate government agencies need not be considered as a Dem Party nominee lock. The party has options at this point in the game, but they first have to break some bad habits.

Anyway this posting format is different and its taking me some effort to grow accustomed to it. But what the heck. Rome wasn't built in a day.