• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Explosive devices detonated on planes..

didn't we have a shoelace bomber and an underwear bomber board planes in other countries a few years ago? I'm not sure if it's growing, but it's a trend.

allegedly, the most revered ISIS and Al Qaeda guys are bomb makers. And they're among the most targeted by US drones/cruise missiles.

the latest bomber evidently received his "laptop with bomb included" from an airport worker, who was caught on camera carrying the device, inside of the security zone.

which begs the question - how are airport workers allowed to bring stuff like that through security? shouldn't it be as strict as for passengers?

connieb

Senator
didn't we have a shoelace bomber and an underwear bomber board planes in other countries a few years ago? I'm not sure if it's growing, but it's a trend.

allegedly, the most revered ISIS and Al Qaeda guys are bomb makers. And they're among the most targeted by US drones/cruise missiles.

the latest bomber evidently received his "laptop with bomb included" from an airport worker, who was caught on camera carrying the device, inside of the security zone.

which begs the question - how are airport workers allowed to bring stuff like that through security? shouldn't it be as strict as for passengers?

I think going forward more and more of this stuff is not going to be passengers but airline workers. The Russian plane was airline worker related. I think those handful of incidents back to back where a baggage handler "fell asleep" in the baggage compartment and woke up while the plane was in flight was a test run of some sort, too. I just traveled for work last week. And, ate in a few restaurants AFTER I passed through security. I simply can not believe that every single ingredient or packaging product they bring in is searched for explosives or weapons, that the people working in these places are capable of passing what should be pretty high level security back-ground checks, etc.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
I think going forward more and more of this stuff is not going to be passengers but airline workers. The Russian plane was airline worker related. I think those handful of incidents back to back where a baggage handler "fell asleep" in the baggage compartment and woke up while the plane was in flight was a test run of some sort, too. I just traveled for work last week. And, ate in a few restaurants AFTER I passed through security. I simply can not believe that every single ingredient or packaging product they bring in is searched for explosives or weapons, that the people working in these places are capable of passing what should be pretty high level security back-ground checks, etc.
Agreed, yet the fact these attempts work in other nations and either fail here or never happen speaks for itself.

Of course, if terrorists try anything a thousand times, they're bound to get lucky at least once.

connieb

Senator
Agreed, yet the fact these attempts work in other nations and either fail here or never happen speaks for itself.

Of course, if terrorists try anything a thousand times, they're bound to get lucky at least once.

I think they just use some of these other places as dry runs. If they can get through and detonate something fine. But, I think that each incidence is a test of another way or procedure or device, etc. They are merely fine tuning it over there I think.

connie

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
I think they just use some of these other places as dry runs. If they can get through and detonate something fine. But, I think that each incidence is a test of another way or procedure or device, etc. They are merely fine tuning it over there I think.

connie
I have little doubt they are trying very hard to blow up airliners. Not "dry runs", but actual missions.

connieb

Senator
I have little doubt they are trying very hard to blow up airliners. Not "dry runs", but actual missions.
I think they are actual missions. But, they are doing them in a manner to test the weaknesses in security and exploit them. Dry run wasn't the exact right word, but I think the way they are doing them are coordinated attempts in a manner to find the holes that they can exploit in other instances. If they get through and mange to actually blow something up... great. But, they ALSO want to find how to get it done more efficiently. Do you sit by the window? The exit door? The wing? How much explosive is needed? What kinds are they getting through security?

connie

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
I think they are actual missions. But, they are doing them in a manner to test the weaknesses in security and exploit them. Dry run wasn't the exact right word, but I think the way they are doing them are coordinated attempts in a manner to find the holes that they can exploit in other instances. If they get through and mange to actually blow something up... great. But, they ALSO want to find how to get it done more efficiently. Do you sit by the window? The exit door? The wing? How much explosive is needed? What kinds are they getting through security?

connie
"Practice makes perfect". ;)

Let's not forget that the purpose of terrorism is to terrorize. If people aren't terrified, but simply, coolly and rationally react to neutralize the threats to their safety, not only will the terrorists fail in their goals, but they will ultimately be destroyed.

Jen

Senator

I know this has been said......... but .......... really. What suicide bomber puts explosives in his underwear? Yowch!

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
I know this has been said......... but .......... really. What suicide bomber puts explosives in his underwear? Yowch!
Even worse, for him, is he suffered severe burns "down there" when the underwear bomb just burned and didn't explode.

As the article points out, the change of strategy is clear; once they tried to slip bombs through security. Now they are going around security.

Jen

Senator
Even worse, for him, is he suffered severe burns "down there" when the underwear bomb just burned and didn't explode.

As the article points out, the change of strategy is clear; once they tried to slip bombs through security. Now they are going around security.
Well I know. If that underwear bomb doesn't kill you......... it's in a "hurt like hell" place that'll leave you unable to function in important ways. What a dummy.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
Well I know. If that underwear bomb doesn't kill you......... it's in a "hurt like hell" place that'll leave you unable to function in important ways. What a dummy.
The bombers aren't picked for their brains. ;)