• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Famous movies I haven't seen until now. Today's installment: The Big Chill

C

Capitalist

A group of college friends from the 60s reunite to pay a friend who killed himself their last respects.

Alternate title for this post: Generation X. A perspective.

Ugh. I'm glad I had a couple glasses of port in me otherwise I wouldn't have been able to finish that movie. Born in 1968, I was 17 in 86 when I graduated from high school. My most formative years were spent in reemerging entrepreneurship, 80s music, and Reagan. Thank God! This is who I am.

Contrast that with the movie--a bunch of self absorbed, self important, adult children who, by their 30s, can't seem to manage the jump into adult life. No wonder one of them kills himself! It was like watching a slow motion train wreck. A bunch of thirty-somthing hippies get together and wonder whatever became of them!? They now drive Mercedes and Cadillacs and Porsches. Oh my! One hippy turned real estate lawyer is hearing her biological clock tick loud and clear. And like a spoiled brat wanting a pony. . .she wants a baby. Not a husband, not a father, just a baby. And she wants it now! But this guy is not right, that guy is taken, this one's too hot, this one's too cold, nobody is just right. Until. . ! Oh joy! The married one gets a hall pass from his wife! Yay! She'll fuk the married guy to have a baby who won't have a father (meh! Who needs men anyway? Enter Jordan Peterson, Stefan Molyneux, Gavin McInnes, and @freyasman bearing the hammer of truth!) These people are wondering what the hell went wrong with them. Well, for starters. . .stop fukking each others' spouses!

NEXT!!!

And of course, the only guy I could relate to was the as*hole, Richard (a.k.a. "Dick"), hippy Karen's adult husband who left the party early because he's too much of a stick in the ass and had to get back to his kids. His memorable quote? Early in the morning he's enjoying a sandwich and the peace and quiet. A couple of men hippies join him and he kinda lays into the truth. After wagging his finger at Alex who committed suicide and reminding them of their duty as adults and parents, with respect to parenting he says, "Nobody said it was going to be fun. At least nobody told me." Awwww! Poor, poor pussy! Parenting not fun? Awww! Hate to tell you folks but if parenting is nothing but drudgery, you're doing it wrong. Yeah. You're a bad parent. Deal with it. My daughter is the greatest, brightest, shining beacon of joy in my entire 50 year life. I can't imagine life without her. And she is a challenge!

How is this retrospective of "the way we were" any different from a class reunion seeing those has-been jocks who peaked at 17 throwing that one touchdown that won that one game and reliving it over and over and over? Ah, those were the days, right? Pathetic. How is this entire movie any different from Rico, Napoleon Dynamite's uncle, throwing a pass with his early 80s shirt and early 80s hair trying to recapture his youth?

"Oh but we were hippies! We were trying to change the world!"

Spare me. You were trying to conquer the world with communism and had all the savvy and wisdom of a toddler. And at the age of thirty-something you still hadn't grown up.

It made me grateful once again that I am a Gen X. The hippies grew old but not up and people STILL bent over backwards to listen to what they had to say! Oh what a charmed and immature life! Then along came "Generation X." Generation who? Exactly! Just the way I like it. Forgotten. Overlooked. Ignored. Not ignored by each other. Ignored by the world and their fickle, immature, elite snobbery. No thanks. Along came Gen X and gave us women that looked like women, entrepreneurs, a rebirth of music, fun, and a twinkle of renewed responsibility. Gen X. You’re welcome!

But contrast that again with the Millennials! Good gravy! What the hell happened? Entitled, immature, intolerant, violent. . .just like your grandparent Boomers! WTF!? And it seems that employers are bending over backwards to accommodate you. I am embarrassed to say that at work in the cafeteria we have an "inclusion table" where if you're gay, a minority, pierced, tatted, or otherwise weird, you can sit there and feel. . ."included." (I suppose that gives the rest of us free reign to harass and persecute them when away from said table. No, of course, not. So what's the point?)

The world, or at least our society seems bent on dividing us into "generations." Boomers are (blank)! (immature dreamers) Millennials are (blank)! (entitled) And Gen X is forgotten. Good. You all continue to go on feeling superior. You will now, just like you did then, eat yourselves alive. I will keep on keeping on. Doing my own thing. Inviting friends. Loving my family. Hugging my daughter. Playing my guitar, my piano, my drums. . .while still building a better tomorrow. Because, I'm sure, one day, for sure, the world is going to wake up.

Last edited by a moderator:

trapdoor

Governor
I thought the point of the Big Chill was that these were self-absorbed ex hippies. Criticizing it on those grounds misses the irony.

freyasman

Senator
I thought the point of the Big Chill was that these were self-absorbed ex hippies. Criticizing it on those grounds misses the irony.
I actually never saw it; the trailer alone had me ready to barf..... sure wasn't going to invest a couple of hours of my life into that.

sear

Mayor

Is The Big Chill significantly more famous than other movies of similar theme? Of similar time?

What makes this movie "Famous"?

freyasman

Senator

Is The Big Chill significantly more famous than other movies of similar theme? Of similar time?

Probably the fact that a lot of people have heard of it and recognize it, even if they haven't actually seen it.

trapdoor

Governor
I think it's a good film, but your mileage may vary. I'm not old enough to be contemporaries with hippies, so their foibles were merely something for me to observe.

C

Capitalist

There’s similar and similar.

Entertainment is filled with self absorbed self worshipping themes. What movies were you thinking of?