• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

fracking linked to premature births

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
According to a recent study from Johns Hopkins, expectant mothers who live near fracking wells are at a increased risk of complications during pregnancy. Researchers analyzed data from 40 counties in Pennsylvania, a fracking-friendly state that had less than 100 fracking sites in 2006 and today has over 8,000. They found that living near active drilling sites correlated with a 40 percent increase in pre-term birth and a 30 percent increase in “high-risk” pregnancy, which means complications like high blood pressure or excessive weight gain.

The byproducts of fracking are well-documented, from groundwater contamination to methane leaks to the sudden appearance of earthquakes in places where they don’t naturally occur. Now, there’s a new danger to add to the list: premature birth.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/fracking-linked-to-premature-births-study-finds/

gigi

Mayor
According to a recent study from Johns Hopkins, expectant mothers who live near fracking wells are at a increased risk of complications during pregnancy. Researchers analyzed data from 40 counties in Pennsylvania, a fracking-friendly state that had less than 100 fracking sites in 2006 and today has over 8,000. They found that living near active drilling sites correlated with a 40 percent increase in pre-term birth and a 30 percent increase in “high-risk” pregnancy, which means complications like high blood pressure or excessive weight gain.

The byproducts of fracking are well-documented, from groundwater contamination to methane leaks to the sudden appearance of earthquakes in places where they don’t naturally occur. Now, there’s a new danger to add to the list: premature birth.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/fracking-linked-to-premature-births-study-finds/
Pennsylvania is so freaking fracking friendly that people are actually fighting to keep fracking from happening on ground that is sacred to the Native Americans as some dead are buried there.

Wahbooz

Governor
What gets me is the commercial they've been running lately where the young lady claims they've been fracking safely for 65 years. 65 years is a spit in the lake when it comes to geological time frames.

Wahbooz

Governor
Another thing to consider is the affect of CO2 on rain water, and the fact that hydraulic fracking fractures rock, leaving fissures in the bed rock. CO2 can enter into rain water, and it's introduction can dissolve limestone. Secondly it can react with the rain water to form carbonic acid. So I would consider whether fracking is safe or not, is there a possibility of more incidents of sinkholes forming.

EatTheRich

President
True, and I think some water sources are too vital to mess with. At the same time, I don't see us getting off coal and oil combustion without at least a temporary reliance on natural gas (which is low in carbon emissions by comparison), and I don't see us harvesting natural gas without fracking. I don't like it, and there are environmental justice implications to consider, but it seems to me that if water pollution and earthquake risks are the price we pay for moving away from dirtier fossil fuels, as part of a long-term plan to end fossil fuel combustion, so be it. Granted that we don't have any such plan.

Note: methane is a very potent greenhouse gas, but it does not stick around in the atmosphere nearly as long as CO2 and CO do.

Wahbooz

Governor
Another concern that has been arising even more lately is sink holes. Will fracking lead to more sink holes, one can only wait and see. PBS ran a documentary recently on sink holes, and it was a bit unsettling to think you may get swallowed up, and can only hope it's when you're sleeping.

Another point about methane gas. I'd have to say it is carbon neutral since methane escapes into the atmosphere from our landfills, so why not use it.

Another concern that has been arising even more lately is sink holes. Will fracking lead to more sink holes, one can only wait and see. PBS ran a documentary recently on sink holes, and it was a bit unsettling to think you may get swallowed up, and can only hope it's when you're sleeping.

Another point about methane gas. I'd have to say it is carbon neutral since methane escapes into the atmosphere from our landfills, so why not use it.
Yup, why not indeed? This is the prob ------------ they don't bother with the most sensible and practical ideas 'cos they won't make the dosh, greedy short sighted bastards.

What gets me is the commercial they've been running lately where the young lady claims they've been fracking safely for 65 years. 65 years is a spit in the lake when it comes to geological time frames.
We frack very differently now than we did 65 years ago too, don't we?

Wahbooz

Governor
Yup, why not indeed? This is the prob ------------ they don't bother with the most sensible and practical ideas 'cos they won't make the dosh, greedy short sighted bastards.
I assume you're referring to the oil and mining companies? Sensible and practical does not fill their pockets.