• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Gabby Giffords - " People rarely use guns for self-defense. "

connieb

Senator
My assessment exactly!

It would absolutely suck being a German--constantly reminded that Hitler is a part of your pretty recent history. No wonder they're so offended by American confidence and gregariousness. They've had passivity beaten into them for 70 years!
They have and its sickening. They should all be ashamed of themselves. I mean really -what he did was awful in so far as the mass slaughter. But no one should ever be conditioned to feel bad because they believe their country and heritage is the best and they value it above all others. You can still think you rock,.. and still be willing to get along with other people.

C

Capitalist

They have and its sickening. They should all be ashamed of themselves. I mean really -what he did was awful in so far as the mass slaughter. But no one should ever be conditioned to feel bad because they believe their country and heritage is the best and they value it above all others. You can still think you rock,.. and still be willing to get along with other people.
Reminds me of my pilot training days at Euro-NATO. It was Octoberfest and we were eating good food and drinking lots of beer. We had Germans in my squadron and my dad is German so I was hanging out with them and started in on the German national anthem. . .the old version:

Deutschland Deutschland uber alles. Uber alles in der welt!

They about had a conniption:

“You cannot sing zis! Zis iss illegal in Germany! If you sing zis there zey vill put you in jail!”

I drunkenly replied, “Whaaa. . . that’s ridicalus. It’s your anthem.”

“Yes. It used to be. But zis part is not goot. Zey left it out after Verld Voar Two. We cannot sing zis!”

“Whaaa. . .but it’s good. It’s just a patriotic stanza saying Germany is the best from the east to the west. From up north to down south.”

“Yah I know zis but it is not goot because it says vee are better zen everyone. And vee are not.”

“But there’s nothing wrong with saying that and striving for it. I mean, hey, you’re the best. We’re the best. Let’s get together and kill some bad guys.”

“No. Vee are not better. Vee cannot sing zis.”

And these guys went on to become fighter pilots! It was a very discouraging conversation. I’ll never forget it.

connieb

Senator
Reminds me of my pilot training days at Euro-NATO. It was Octoberfest and we were eating good food and drinking lots of beer. We had Germans in my squadron and my dad is German so I was hanging out with them and started in on the German national anthem. . .the old version:

“You cannot sing zis! Zis iss illegal in Germany! If you sing zis there zey vill put you in jail!”

“Yes. It used to be. But zis part is not goot. Zey left it out after Verld Voar Two. We cannot sing zis!”

“Whaaa. . .but it’s good. It’s just a patriotic stanza saying Germany is the best from the east to the west. From up north to down south.”

“Yah I know zis but it is not goot because it says vee are better zen everyone. And vee are not.”

“But there’s nothing wrong with saying that and striving for it. I mean, hey, you’re the best. We’re the best. Let’s get together and kill some bad guys.”

And these guys went on to become fighter pilots! It was a very discouraging conversation. I’ll never forget it.

I was listening to some reactions to the "soft brexit" that May wants to go through and I thought.. for goodness sakes, Brits, find your damn balls. You are letting Germany and their puppets in Denmark lead you all around by your damn nose rings. For the love of God did you not lose millions of your own citizens fighting the damn krauts.. NOW though because you have spent 70 years being a puss you will let them control you in absentia via economics and dubious arrangements? Why the hell didn't you just surrender back then.. would have saved US and you a lot of blood and treasure.

I have plenty of german acestry myself, actually used to be fluent in German and spent quite a bit of time there in college, so I have no ill will myself.. but at what point to you roll over on your own damn sovereignty to a country you fought two wars to get away from? I really don't understand the mind set. I would not consent at all to go back to being part of the UK.... Not because I hate the Brits but because its an insult the the valor and the bravery of all who fought against it.

They should really honestly be ashamed of themselves.... the whole of Europe for what they have become. They have consented to their own demise and lack of sovereignty because of an extreme lack of courage. Its nothing short of a disgrace. The Poles are about the only ones I maintain any respect for. They were out matched by the Soviets yet the fought valiantly. They were out matched the Germans and they fought valiantly - and they are fighting now against the EU to maintain their sovereignty and independence. They don't have much except their pride...and their guts but its far more than any other Europeans seem to have these days.

C

Capitalist

Your tourniquet argument works for the opposite as well...
Guns kill people, its not people killing people.
No. As usual, as always you are a gun banner conflating the tourniquet analogy with the magic animated gun myth.

They’re both dead tools—lifeless things. They need a human to operate them. So keep your hands off my guns. . .and tourniquets while you’re at it.

C

Capitalist

I was listening to some reactions to the "soft brexit" that May wants to go through and I thought.. for goodness sakes, Brits, find your damn balls. You are letting Germany and their puppets in Denmark lead you all around by your damn nose rings. For the love of God did you not lose millions of your own citizens fighting the damn krauts.. NOW though because you have spent 70 years being a puss you will let them control you in absentia via economics and dubious arrangements? Why the hell didn't you just surrender back then.. would have saved US and you a lot of blood and treasure.

I have plenty of german acestry myself, actually used to be fluent in German and spent quite a bit of time there in college, so I have no ill will myself.. but at what point to you roll over on your own damn sovereignty to a country you fought two wars to get away from? I really don't understand the mind set. I would not consent at all to go back to being part of the UK.... Not because I hate the Brits but because its an insult the the valor and the bravery of all who fought against it.

They should really honestly be ashamed of themselves.... the whole of Europe for what they have become. They have consented to their own demise and lack of sovereignty because of an extreme lack of courage. Its nothing short of a disgrace. The Poles are about the only ones I maintain any respect for. They were out matched by the Soviets yet the fought valiantly. They were out matched the Germans and they fought valiantly - and they are fighting now against the EU to maintain their sovereignty and independence. They don't have much except their pride...and their guts but its far more than any other Europeans seem to have these days.
Damn right sister! God bless the Poles!

It's the social contract. People benefit from cooperation. But cooperation comes with a loss of freedom. Namely you accept the rule of law. It's split fairly evenly in Britain... half the people want the benefits of Cooperating with Europe, the other half wants the freedom from the rule of law. If you ask me the benefits of remaining outweigh the costs of remaining.

connieb

Senator
It's the social contract. People benefit from cooperation. But cooperation comes with a loss of freedom. Namely you accept the rule of law. It's split fairly evenly in Britain... half the people want the benefits of Cooperating with Europe, the other half wants the freedom from the rule of law. If you ask me the benefits of remaining outweigh the costs of remaining.
The costs of remaining are continued lack of soverignty, self respect, dignity and valor.

The fact that the nation that practically invented world trade, is now afraid to make their own trade deals, says much about how much they have lost themselves. They are pathetic.

Cooperation is mutually beneficial. At the point it stops being so, because as individuals you no longer benefit, its time to end the arrangement.

SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoy

Ahhhh so you are an Aviator......

Excellent.

SB
Cool guy Helicopter Pilot