1. Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?
    Dismiss Notice

Games

Discussion in 'Military and War' started by trapdoor, May 1, 2017.

1. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

There's one game I can't recommend highly enough for X-Box One. It used to be a free download, but now it's maybe five bucks. It's called "Chariot." It's a co-op platformer, which doesn't sound very promising, but the game design is just so well done. And it's great because of the ability to choose multiple routes through the levels. So, if I play with my brother, we can go after the nearly impossible coins that are basically puzzle games to reach, whereas if I play with my six year old daughter, we grab the low-hanging fruit and just try to make it to the next level. It's fantastic as a party game that you can play with gamers and non-gamers alike, because it take about sixty seconds to learn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariot_(video_game)

2. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

Primitive Technology is an odd one, because literally the guy never says a word. He's just out in the wilderness building a hut or a drill or a bow and arrow or a forge using stone-aged tools. It's weirdly soothing. This one, has 28 million views, which is crazy considering the content:

It sounds weird to say, but I have a lot of respect for LARPers. Those are people who are secure with themselves. I just couldn't get past the embarrassment factor, I think. It would trigger something similar to stage-fright for me.

Check out the Lindybeige channel -- I think you'd like it. His videos are all over the place, from LARPing, to WWII military history, to ancient weapons techniques, to game design (e.g., criticizing some of conventions for role playing game mechanics and suggesting how they can be improved on). He has worked as an historical consultant on movies and TV series, and so he has some great observations on that.... some of which you'd never think of. For example, often in old movies set before the time of the automobile, they'll show a path where there are two lines of dirt from the cart wheels, with grass growing up between them. But, as he points out, that's not what such paths actually looked like -- the animals that are pulling the carts walk in the middle, so that's the most worn part of the road, and there's no grass there. It's only on dirt roads taken by cars that you get that pattern, because there's nothing touching that center strip to kill the grass.

I get so annoyed when I'm watching a documentary and I recognize the voice and I can't pin it down.

Ever read the book "World War Z"? It's nothing like the Brad Pitt movie they made from it. Instead, it reads as if it were an oral history of an actual zombie war, written a decade after the fact, with each chapter being someone else's story of the part they played in the war, or how they survived it. Anyway, I listened to it as an audiobook, and the way it's done is that every chapter is a different voice, since they're all first-hand accounts from different people. There are about 40 or 50 voices, total. A lot of the voices are really familiar but hard to nail down, so it drove me nuts as I was listening. A partial list of the voices used:

Nathan Fillion, Martin Scorsese, Simon Pegg, Denise Crosby, Bruce Boxleitner, Jeri Ryan, Mark Hamill, David Ogden Stiers, Kal Penn, Alan Alda, Rob Reiner, Alfred Molina, and F. Murray Abraham.

My wife's that way. She has a real ear for voices.

3. Corruptbuddha

Corruptbuddha Governor

Silent Hunter was one of my favorite games of all time. As is Red Storm Rising. Have you ever played Aces of the Deep? Great game. I love the stealth element more than anything.

4. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

Another quick observation: they need to kill the repetitive dialogue at some point. After about the tenth time you've handed your junk to a companion and heard the same stock line, it starts to get old. The game design should come with a counter where, after a certain number of iterations of a particular line from a particular companion, it stops happening. I get that they can't have infinite lines, but I'd prefer no lines at all to such repetition.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

I haven't played that one. I'm always on the lookup for something similar, though.

One of my favorite Silent Hunter moves is to get ahead of the fleet at night, head perpendicularly towards where it will be at high speed, then cut engines and submerge to periscope depth, while I still have plenty of momentum, just as the cruisers are on the other side, let loose with my torpedoes, and dive. It's really hard to get it right, because of all the moving parts (cut engines too late and the fleet spots you, cut them too early and you don't have momentum), but if you play it just right, you can slip right under the fleet in complete silence, and then pop up on the other side with the cruisers sitting on the opposite side where you used to be, then fire your rear torpedoes and still get away, with the disabled ships serving as obstacles to pursuit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jen

Jen Proud Deplorable

I never ask questions.
    I just figure it out.
    I know what you mean about being the noob asking questions. It doesn't sit right.
    In a way it was good my sons played in WoW Beta...... but ......I didn't ask questions. I just listened to them talk and learned things. Plus, I always bought those guide books and WoW has forums to find things that aren't easy to discover.

I'm a loner. I started out playing WoW in groups (of my real life friends) but for a long time now I have preferred to play alone and rarely talk to anyone in the game.

7. Jen

Jen Proud Deplorable

Hubs and sons played Skyrim for a while. They don't have much time these days either.

8. trapdoor

trapdoor Governor

I've seen the hut-building video before. I didn't realize it was part of a series. I'll check that out -- I took a blacksmithing seminar and I've spent a lot of my life in the woods. I think the hut building is interesting, but it would take weeks in real life. Of course, you'd have weeks -- it's not like you have anything else to be doing except finding something to eat
    I wouldn't have that problem back in my 20s, but I'd be self-concious being old and fat out there today.

I think I've seen one of those, too.

To visit family about once every two months I have to drive six hours one way, and to pass the time I load audiobooks into my car's CD changer and zone out. I haven't read the book, but I am now pretty certain that listening to it is in the not-very-distant future.

9. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

From what I've seen, old might stick out, but fat definitely wouldn't, among LARPers.

I strongly recommend it. It's one of the 20 most enjoyable reads I've had in the last decade or so, and definitely the one I think benefits the most from the audiobook treatment, because of the huge voice cast.

10. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

Speaking of WoW and (in my exchange with Trapdoor) Youtube, ever watched "The Guild"? It's a great web series based around a guild of players of a game that's clearly just a disguised WoW:

It's super low-budget, but very funny, and was written (and starred in) by a woman who was a huge WoW fan, so it's got some great insights into that world.

11. Jen

Jen Proud Deplorable

"I have to drop some kids off at the pool"?
    Eek.
    This is funny.
    It would be rare for gamers to live close enough to meet each other in person.
    That aside........
    It easily acts as a metaphor for our relationships here on PJ.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SouthernBoyI

SouthernBoyI Mayor

I like Wings of Duty

But I never play for more than about 5 minutes.

I try to shoot down 2-3 planes and then quit.

SB

• Like Like x 1
  13. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

Glad you like it.

14. trapdoor

trapdoor Governor

Re-watched that hut-building video. I'd love to see what that guy could build if he just had one steel bowie knife and a hand-driven auger-style drill.

Of course, he has some advantages in that wherever he's building the hut has rich soil, decent vegetation, water and clay.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SW48

SW48 Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

A nice war game was called Empire Deluxe.

The best online game is Iracing.com You can race live against up to 30 other people in almost any type of racing series (F1, Indy, Nascar, Dirt Tracks, Late Models and more). On over 100 tracks. Its more of a simulation than a game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Arkady

Arkady The Departed

Did you see his video with the pump drill? The stuff he manages to put together with nothing but stone-age materials is really amazing.

17. trapdoor

trapdoor Governor

I hadn't seen it, but I just took the time to watch it just now. I'd read about that sort of thing before, so to me the impressive part was drilling the hole through the rock with his flint "drill bit" held in his hand. I was wondering why he hadn't made the weight out of fired clay, when he started making weights out of fired clay, and I realized he'd done the rock one just to show how it could be done.

• Like Like x 1
  18. trapdoor

trapdoor Governor

Arkady, I tried to send you a game-related private message, but you're not accepting private messages -- please contact me.